Best Vanilla

ToTheShip

17 hours ago, tw67 said:

Vanilla in Cozumel today.  Paid $20 for 1000 ml.

A1B5DFD7-24B2-4B18-9F36-88070FCD7025.png

We’ve been getting both the natural and the “clear” version from the Plaza Playacar store for friends for years. However since that store closed we haven’t seen the clear version at the Five Suns or at the airport, and it isn’t an option when ordering online. I didn’t think to ask why…

Edited by blue_water

• 4 months later...

I've only used Los Cinco Soles for well over 25 years. Back then they did not import to the US so I could only stock up on trips to Cozumel.  

Now we buy it for our bakery by the gallon jug!  Los Cinco Soles is still my favorite store in Coz so when we stop I still bring home small bottles for friends and clients.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, teachatthebeach1968 said:

It's been awhile since I've been to Cozumel.  I remember walking through a very large port complex with lots of shops on our way to get a taxi.  Is Los Cincos Soles located in that shopping complex or do I need to leave the port area?  Thank you!

You don't have to leave the port area to find Los Cincos Soles vanilla.  

4 hours ago, teachatthebeach1968 said:

It's been awhile since I've been to Cozumel.  I remember walking through a very large port complex with lots of shops on our way to get a taxi.  Is Los Cincos Soles located in that shopping complex or do I need to leave the port area?  Thank you!

There are three port areas in Cozumel but they all have Los cinco Soles as well as a shop in town.

Edited by c-leg5

On 1/22/2023 at 8:34 AM, blue_water said:

We’ve been getting both the natural and the “clear” version from the Plaza Playacar store for friends for years. However since that store closed we haven’t seen the clear version at the Five Suns or at the airport, and it isn’t an option when ordering online. I didn’t think to ask why…

Clear vanilla is always imitation vanilla. It’s pretty much pure vanillin (or related compounds) plus a carrier (alcohol, water, glycerin, etc.)

Natural vanilla is always dark, because of stuff that comes from the vanilla bean in addition to the vanillin.

26 minutes ago, sdmike said:

Clear vanilla is always imitation vanilla. It’s pretty much pure vanillin (or related compounds) plus a carrier (alcohol, water, glycerin, etc.)

Natural vanilla is always dark, because of stuff that comes from the vanilla bean in addition to the vanillin.

That’s like saying “clear” tequila is always “blanco”…

31 minutes ago, blue_water said:

That’s like saying “clear” tequila is always “blanco”…

Not really, unless I was saying clear vanilla was the purest form of vanilla. I'm saying the opposite. Clear vanilla is never a real vanilla extract. 

I hate to be that guy, but the 1L bottle of Los Cinco Sols vanilla I have in my kitchen is not technically pure vanilla extract. Actually, they don't claim that it is. From their website:

Our vanilla is composed of : Purified water, cane alcohol 8%, vegetable glycerin, natural vanillin, vanilla extract and natural caramel.

99% of vanillin is synthetic and made from petrolium, so if true it's great that they use "natural" vanillin. However, pure vanilla extract is over 35% alcohol and doesn't included sweeteners or coloring agents. Vegetable glycerin and caramel are sweeteners, and the caramel helps with the coloring. 

Not saying there's anything wrong with LCS Vanilla (we like it), but if you find a real pure vanilla extract expect to pay 6 or 7 times what LCS charges for theirs. 

No worries, the term “imitation” just sounded wrong for this vanilla because it is loved by so many!

And my reference to clear tequila being called “blanco” is from when I was ordering a particular anejo extra tequila at a resort bar, another guest tried explaining to the bartender I was asking for blanco tequila. Obviously the other guest was not familiar with some  tequilas being filtered in order to remove its color and enhance the flavor. That was just a funny memory…

To add, the ingredients on the label are

Organic vanilla extract, alcohol (8%), water, organic coloring

The label title is ”Natural Gourmet Organically Grown”, which can be confusing, and of course it also states “Does NOT contain COUMARIN”.

As 2Boxers (and our baker friends) mentioned, the Los Cinco Soles vanilla has been a game changer for them! There is another brand we bought when visiting Puerto Vallarta, but the LCS vanilla has been a mainstay for 20+ years for us as well…

Edited by blue_water