Best Vanilla

ToTheShip

Los Cincos Soles does have a good reputation for selling pure vanilla extract.  Not sure if they have more than one specific brand.  DW says Usumanchinta is the best. There are two types of Mexican vanilla--Tahitian and Planifolia (same variety as in Madagascar).   Be sure to read the label and look at the bottle.   Don't buy if milky colored.

• Like 1

Definitely Los Cinco Soles. Their vanilla is pure and does not contain coumarin, which most Mexican vanillas do. We winter near Playa and our chef friends (mainly bakers) always request this vanilla. They also love the “clear” version fur use on white cake…

Their shop in Playacar closed so now we have to buy it when on Coz, or at their shop at the airport. They also deliver to the US free, not sure about Canada…

Be aware, however - you may walk out of their amazing shop with more than you planned!

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, bandjwayne said:

Is Los Cinco Soles in the port area?  

9 minutes ago, clackey said:

They have been in all three ports that we have been to on Cozumel.   Looking forward to getting more vanilla in 2 weeks.😉

I will be on Carnival Sunrise next week, and when in Cozumel I always pick up Los Cinco Soles in the port area.  If they don't have any next week, I promise to come back up and let you know!  But I have never had a hard time finding it.  @clackey enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 2:58 PM, tw67 said:

I will be on Carnival Sunrise next week, and when in Cozumel I always pick up Los Cinco Soles in the port area.  If they don't have any next week, I promise to come back up and let you know!  But I have never had a hard time finding it.  @clackey enjoy your cruise!

Yes, please check back in about the vanilla & how much you had to pay for it. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:58 PM, tw67 said:

Thank you, but if they don't have it I will be back in May.😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clackey said:

I might have spoken to soon about being on Sunrise this week.  Last night my husband tore his calf muscle and tomorrow we see the orthopedic Dr to see if we can cruise!  So if we go I will let everyone know more info!

17 minutes ago, clackey said:

The main store is in San Miguel, and they always have different sizes available. They also usually have the “clear” version which is preferred for white cake. I don’t see that available on the website.
Located at Av Rafael E Melgar & Calle 8, 5.5 km south of the Carnival cruise pier, the “Five Suns” are on the store front.

You can order online as well, free shipping to the US I believe - 
https://loscincosoles.com/product-category/mexicatessen/vanilla

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, blue_water said:

The main store is in San Miguel, and they always have different sizes available. They also usually have the “clear” version which is preferred for white cake. I don’t see that available on the website.
Located at Av Rafael E Melgar & Calle 8, 5.5 km south of the Carnival cruise pier, the “Five Suns” are on the store front.

You can order online as well, free shipping to the US I believe - 
https://loscincosoles.com/product-category/mexicatessen/vanilla

Thank you for the link!  I may need it!  I am really running low and if I can’t get there on this cruise, my stash won’t last long!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

Were there in December, November and October - supply was always full.  We'll be there again February 10.  Prices are very reasonable IMHO for such good quality vanilla.

I agree.  There is always a good supply.  

We will be there later this week, injury is not as bad as the first doctor thought.  I will try to remember to post cost and quantities.  

• Like 1

Got some more on our trip in early December at Los Cinco Soles.

Price went up a bit since the last time we bought some, but what hasn't.

Still way cheaper and better than artifical vanilla in the spice aisle at the grocery at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Still way cheaper and better than artifical vanilla in the spice aisle at the grocery at home.

AMEN!  The first time I bought the LCS vanilla, as soon as I got home and compared it with my grocery store brand, the grocery store stuff went down the drain!  Have never used anything but LCS vanilla since. And the smell - oh, the smell!  Heaven!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, blue_water said:

The problem I have is getting my wife out of there without maxing out my credit card! So much nice stuff for our home!!!

It is only money and you can't take it with you when you die.  We are spending our daughers' inheritance.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Los Cinco Soles vanilla is very good!  And I might be looking to buy more...that is until I discovered Molina Mexican Vanilla Blend at Sams Club 33.3 fl oz for less than $6!!  It is Amazing!  Also made in Mexico with pure vanilla extract and No Coumarin.  You can also find it on Amazon, but at a much higher price.  This is the only vanilla I will use from now on!  

3 hours ago, dlynndan said:

The Los Cinco Soles vanilla is very good!  And I might be looking to buy more...that is until I discovered Molina Mexican Vanilla Blend at Sams Club 33.3 fl oz for less than $6!!  It is Amazing!  Also made in Mexico with pure vanilla extract and No Coumarin.  You can also find it on Amazon, but at a much higher price.  This is the only vanilla I will use from now on!  

I would never be able to convince our baker friends here and in the US to change to that. Not just because they love the LCS flavor and how little they have to use, but the Molina Mexican Vanilla Blend is known to be a mix of pure vanilla and vanillan.

So it is NOT a pure vanilla extract. But it is a cheaper alternative!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clackey said:

It is only money and you can't take it with you when you die.  We are spending our daughers' inheritance.

Exactly! I was joking of course☺️ We have had a lot of furniture and artwork custom made for our home here, and  Five Suns has so much amazing “stuff”!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, janetz said:

Three years since I bought my Vanilla and just about out

Looking forward to getting a new bottle

First time zi bought it, 12.00

Three years ago, 17.00

Now I believe it is 23.00

Sounds about right for the past 3 years…many things have more than doubled actually…