Never too late to learn!!!

bazzaw

I have learned very recently about something that I have often in the past thought about. It is about Travel Insurance. You have Insurance and you are on holiday in New York - or maybe you are on an American cruiseship ? Something really bad happens to your spouse  and he/she are taken to a hospital - or a cruiseship sickbay. They need to treat you urgently in New York - or perhaps they need you off the ship as quickly as possible on the cruiseship. Your Insurance Company has not yet approved your spouses urgent callings. They want more info - as Insurance Companies do before they commit.  But the New York hospital needs a guarantee of your financial worth - or the cruiseship needs you to clear your debt before the ship sails at 5PM . What do you do? Do you have a credit card that goes to maybe $40-$50,000 -- I certainly don't. You have 6 hours to find a solution.  Is there somebody who knows how to solve this dilemma that I don't know about??? 

• Like 1

Bloody good question, I have never thought about it in that light.

Just get insured, and get on the boat in faith. never been sick enough to even go to the sick bay.

Now you have me worried too.

Very eagerly waiting for the answer as well.

39 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I have learned very recently about something that I have often in the past thought about. It is about Travel Insurance. You have Insurance and you are on holiday in New York - or maybe you are on an American cruiseship ? Something really bad happens to your spouse  and he/she are taken to a hospital - or a cruiseship sickbay. They need to treat you urgently in New York - or perhaps they need you off the ship as quickly as possible on the cruiseship. Your Insurance Company has not yet approved your spouses urgent callings. They want more info - as Insurance Companies do before they commit.  But the New York hospital needs a guarantee of your financial worth - or the cruiseship needs you to clear your debt before the ship sails at 5PM . What do you do? Do you have a credit card that goes to maybe $40-$50,000 -- I certainly don't. You have 6 hours to find a solution.  Is there somebody who knows how to solve this dilemma that I don't know about??? 

Just have a Visa Debit card, well loaded Barry. I dont have a credit card but always a well loaded debit card, lol. Sometimes you have to take the risk.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Just have a Visa Debit card, well loaded Barry. I dont have a credit card but always a well loaded debit card, lol. Sometimes you have to take the risk.

How well loaded Les - $40K??? 

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Bloody good question, I have never thought about it in that light.

Just get insured, and get on the boat in faith. never been sick enough to even go to the sick bay.

Now you have me worried too.

Very eagerly waiting for the answer as well.

I think the answer is - a bit like the Insurance itself, you will "probably" never need the ready access to cash - but come the day that you need it, you will NEED it . BTW - my question was not a hypothetical question. 

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I think the answer is - a bit like the Insurance itself, you will "probably" never need the ready access to cash - but come the day that you need it, you will NEED it . BTW - my question was not a hypothetical question. 

Exactly, and definitely not a hypothetical question.

Surely someone out there has experienced a similar situation, be nice to know how it was handled.

I have a bit of experience re this…a work colleague had an episode and was rushed to a hospital in NYC.  They were treated and spent many days in hospital on the assurance that the bill would be covered.  So he was treated and managed without the hospital actually requiring details of insurance cover.  Eventually bill was provided on discharge from hospital in excess of $150K.  So not the doom and gloom of USA system we had once thought.  Care was provided.  Bill was covered by insurance and his employer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Exactly, and definitely not a hypothetical question.

Surely someone out there has experienced a similar situation, be nice to know how it was handled.

I do know somebody who it has very recently happened to - won't say who but we may hear more about it later. The money was raised on the day but at great stress to the persons partner. The Insurance was also approved on the next day but once again at great stress to the lone partner. How about $24,000USD for 3 days in the ships hospital??? I have no idea at the moment how that figure was calculated or justified. Not any of my business anyway and dont want to further stress my friend at this time. It will probably all come out later and our education will be further expanded 😞 

• Like 2