Condition of Epic

Captain-John

DH and I are on the same sailing as OP, and I have to agree with the general assessment of Epic's condition. Just before this cruise we sailed on RCI Vision, and though she's at least a decade older she's overall in better shape. Our cruise so far has been enjoyable though, and some things, as for instance the food, has been better than on RCI. Btw, I don't know if it's thanks to OP pointing it out, but the top ladder in the thermal pool got fixed yesterday, we witnessed it being done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow! You're like my husband. I wouldn't notice 90% of the things you posted. He would see them from the hallway, through two doors and a wall. Same with insects. He walks into a room and immediately notices a spider (I know, they're arachnids)....me? It would have to be dangling in front of my eyes doing a cartwheel, farting rainbows before I'd see it. 

I noticed you're not telling the crew, but I do hope you plan to mention this to the crew/hotel manager before you debark so they are aware. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I noticed you're not telling the crew, but I do hope you plan to mention this to the crew/hotel manager before you debark so they are aware. 

Absoultely will. There's too much to do, to sort it for me right now, but onboard and shoreside will be made aware. 

Yes, I am thorough, and yes I have a high standard - but why not? Other cruise lines, other ships, can deliver - I've not posted a thread like this about any other ship I've been on. So if that standard can be obtained and maintained (it can with enough effort), it should be - IMO. :)

• Like 4

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wow! You're like my husband. I wouldn't notice 90% of the things you posted. He would see them from the hallway, through two doors and a wall. Same with insects. He walks into a room and immediately notices a spider (I know, they're arachnids)....me? It would have to be dangling in front of my eyes doing a cartwheel, farting rainbows before I'd see it. 

I appreciate the OP's taking the time to post the pictures and stuff, but I gotta wonder: wouldn't it be less time consuming to stop posting on CC and talk with the staff who are right there on the same ship as he is? Don't get me wrong: I think you can do both, but I'm just saying if he's upset about the conditions on the ship, why isn't he using his time productively to bring these matters to the attention of the people who can actually do something about it right now?

• Like 3

I'm going to, but this is a genuine question - what can they do for me now? Repaint my balcony? Replace the shower /toilet cubicle? Shut the spa down to give it a deep clean? Shut the upper decks to clean and restore them - including regrouting tiles etc? Strip back and revarnish the handrails? 

It needs a drydock to intensively address all of these things without impacting on the guest experience. Spice H20 is/has been shut for months now as it is.

The point of posting is to make sure others' expectations are set correctly - if they are picturing a ship in tip top shape (refurbished in 2020 according to NCL's own brochure) - then people can make their own assessment as to whether they agree or not. 

So thanks to all who have suggested I speak to the onboard teams as well as shoreside. I will do so and l will feed back what they say. It doesn't take a lot of my time to take these pictures and post so I'm happy to do so whilst on holiday as well as take the time to bring these issues to the attention of the crew. 

20221027_152440.jpg

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I appreciate the OP's taking the time to post the pictures and stuff, but I gotta wonder: wouldn't it be less time consuming to stop posting on CC and talk with the staff who are right there on the same ship as he is? Don't get me wrong: I think you can do both, but I'm just saying if he's upset about the conditions on the ship, why isn't he using his time productively to bring these matters to the attention of the people who can actually do something about it right now?

I believe the OP is simply trying to educate CC members on the condition of the Epic so that they can adjust their expectations. 

According to NCL, the Epic was refurbished in 2020 and came back 'online' only 11 months ago (Dec 2021). That's less than one year of sailing since a refurbish!! We all know that passenger numbers have been way low, so it's not like the ship has been sailing full for those 11 months where wear and tear could take place. Given this; I believe it is reasonable for consumers to have higher expectations of the Epic's conditions than the photos are showing. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe the OP is simply trying to educate CC members on the condition of the Epic so that they can adjust their expectations. 

You're spot on, thank you. 

Rusty toilet roll holder, damaged unit and filthy windows in the sauna just to continue the theme. Our balcony windows were cleaned today so let's hope these are next!

20221027_161156.jpg

20221027_161143.jpg

20221027_000956.jpg

20221027_001155.jpg

12 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

You're spot on, thank you. 

Rusty toilet roll holder, damaged unit and filthy windows in the sauna just to continue the theme. Our balcony windows were cleaned today so let's hope these are next!

20221027_161156.jpg

20221027_161143.jpg

20221027_000956.jpg

20221027_001155.jpg

Uh, filthy windows can be cleaned without the need for a refurbishment, Captain John. Several of the other things you mentioned could be, too. Same with grout being cleaned or replaced. Just sayin'....

And yes, I get that you are trying to make people aware of the condition of the ship, and I've said repeatedly that I appreciate that. We are sailing on the same ship in December and it would be nice if some of these things that can be addressed before then, were. And you can help us and other future guests by bringing them to the attention of the crew now so that they're more likely to be fixed. Some of the issues DO require a dry dock, but definitely not ALL of them. I hope that you are enjoying the cruise despite these shortcomings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

, filthy windows can be cleaned without the need for a refurbishment, Captain John

I know. I wouldn't notice or care if not for the other issues, it's just the overall 'feeling' of a not well cared for ship. 

So before I get heat for the window picture, that isn't a serious complaint so don't anyone else pile on for that one, but the rest of my points remain and I feel strongly about them. 

Agree we do not need a drydock with grout etc. - but why does it take a guest to notice and point it out? It should be dealt with before it gets to the point of being noticeable, as it has been on the vast majority of my previous cruises.

Replacement of the entire cabin units are required and do need a dry dock for that. 

Remember, I'm not commenting with no frame of reference here. I've been cruising for nearly 20 years on multiple lines and I am Platinum with NCL so this is not a vendetta, it's the airing of my disappointment and a heads up to others. 

I understand why you feel the way you do given you have an upcoming sailing. As mentioned twice now I will address with the crew while I am onboard and report back what they say or can/can't do. You may be happy with her condition when you sail and I hope you are. 

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Captain-John can you see areas where the Epic was refurbished? Maybe they just did public areas? 

Most public areas are in good condition  - bars, restaurants (MDR and speciality) etc. Although I don't think refurbished, at least they are well maintained. It seems to be cabins and the upper/outer decks mostly at fault. 

Not that I should have to caveat this, but you'll note I haven't commented on any other aspect of the cruise - that's because the service is good and the food is good. This isn't a review, just a comment on the condition of the Epic so I've not strayed into those areas. And yes overall I am enjoying the cruise. But it doesn't excuse the issues identified. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Captain-John can you see areas where the Epic was refurbished? Maybe they just did public areas? 

I think the refurb was limited to Haven only, I recently watched a YouTube video to this effect. The maintenance issues are imo most noticable on the pool deck and in the thermal spa. It's really a shame as the spa otherwise is great and very well designed in our opinion. We thankfully also have a brilliant cabin attendant who keeps everything clean - but there's nothing he can do about rust and peeling paint visible from our balcony...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Maria63 said:

I think the refurb was limited to Haven only, I recently watched a YouTube video to this effect. The maintenance issues are imo most noticable on the pool deck and in the thermal spa. It's really a shame as the spa otherwise is great and very well designed in our opinion. We thankfully also have a brilliant cabin attendant who keeps everything clean - but there's nothing he can do about rust and peeling paint visible from our balcony...

If true that the refurb was only in Haven, the information available about the Epic is alittle misleading.

But, that does make sense, because this ship looks far from refurbished. It looks pretty worn with things that can't be fixed without significant disruption to guests.  

If they ONLY did the haven, I would think that could be noted in the Epics refurbish description. I get it why they wouldn't, but that does lead to unrealistic expectations. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

So just spoken to guest services. The gentleman agreed with me that the cabin, thermal suite etc. was not in good condition. 

He told me (take this with a pinch of salt?!) that she is being dry docked early 2023. I pointed out the brochure that said she had been done Nov '20 and just as you say BermudaBound2014, this is extremely misleading. Also that doesn't help me as I am onboard now. 

Regarding my issues, he was noting them down  (not with much detail that I could tell) - they will then create a record of the complaint with a reference number and print me a letter so I can complain to shoreside when I disembark. I will get the letter the day before disembarkation. 

There was no offer to address any of these issues here and now. So I have completed the formality of informing the ship and I think this means a complaint to shoreside will be taken more seriously, than if I wrote to them without this number. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

By way of perspective, I offer the following: My wife and I own a condominium in Fort Myers, FL. We have never lived there, it's just a property we bought to rent out. On September 28, Hurricane Ian came through and did a number on our condo. That's an understatement: the property is unlivable, we had no flood insurance and neither did our condo association, so we will likely get next to nothing and the cost to rebuild will be at least $65,000, and we don't have that much money. To make matters worse, our tenants (who lost everything in the flooding) nearly died and were rescued by a neighbor. If we have to look at some rust, peeling paint, filthy windows or a broken tannoy on the ship, it's nothing compared to what we and our tenants have endured. Now, I get that Captain John's post has nothing to do with our travails, and I applaud him for alerting people about the subpar condition of the NCL Epic. He is right to say it needs to be updated and put in dry dock. But my usual "make the best of it, no matter what" is even more acute now given what's happened to us recently.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain-John said:

He told me (take this with a pinch of salt?!) that she is being dry docked early 2023.

We’re cruising in February so I was curious to see what months they are still selling on NCL.com.  Looks like no cruises are offered from early September to early October 2023 and her location at that time is in/around Marseille.  Nice to know our cruise probably won’t be affected, albeit she’ll be a little scruffy.  Glad to know they’ll be giving her the attention she/we deserve.  Thanks for posting. My expectations have now been set…just waiting to be exceeded.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If true that the refurb was only in Haven, the information available about the Epic is alittle misleading.

But, that does make sense, because this ship looks far from refurbished. It looks pretty worn with things that can't be fixed without significant disruption to guests.  

If they ONLY did the haven, I would think that could be noted in the Epics refurbish description. I get it why they wouldn't, but that does lead to unrealistic expectations. 

Here is the video where, starting at 2:10 min, it is explained that the refurb was eventually limited only to Haven, due to change of plans because of Covid etc. The video-guy also points out that the rest of the ship is indeed in need of a makeover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnWL47HCB24

• Thanks 2

Oh wow she is looking tired. We have been on the Epic 4 times going on our fifth next April but we are thinking of switching to the Gem. TA....I still remember being on the Gem back in 2009 when it was announced the launching of their new ship the Epic, time flies. Thank you for the update on the Ship.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:20 AM, Captain-John said:

Currently onboard. Surprised it hasn't been widely mentioned on these boards. I think Epic is looking very tired and in need of a dry dock and renovation. I was on her third sailing out of Miami in 2010 and it's sad to see how she is now. Lots of rust, varnish peeling off wood, staterooms tired and worn - looks much older than her actual age. Yet I've been on Jade (pre refurb) and she had held up much better despite being older. 

Public areas generally OK but there is a coating of yellow on the upper decks (presumable relates to the closure of Spice H20/snoke stack issues). Also the 'flooring' on the upper decks is dirty and tired. Patchy paint repair works with shades that don't match abound. The spa too needs some TLC/regrouting on tiled areas. The top step into the hydrotherapy pool is loose and broken. 

I hope for the sake of future cruisers a dry dock and renovations are planned, too late for me. 

Can't upload pictures just now but will as soon as I get the chance. Curious if others have noticed the same or is this just a standard we need to accept now? 

Is the H2O area open?

1 hour ago, cruising landlords said:
On 10/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, Captain-John said:

Is the H2O area open?

No, not on this sailing. There is still a yellow coating from whatever is spewing out the funnels on some surfaces aft - not sure if that's precisely why they shut it, but I recall reading something along those lines on these boards. 

Joyously, the windows in the sauna have been cleaned. Whether someone is following this thread or they were just due on the cycle anyway (suspect the latter), we can put that one to bed. Nothing else has been sorted though and Guest Services seemed keen I take it up post-cruise - not sure if they have had this feedback from others. 

Found some more 'spa ick' this afternoon. Mould, mud? Your guess is as good as mine. There is a guy who goes around sweeping the floors so I did mention it to him.

By the way, I haven't mentioned so far - cabin number is 14119 and I would recommend avoiding it for the issues outlined. There are thousands of cabins on the ship, maybe we were just unlucky... But they're all the same age, and been maintained to the same standard presumably (except Haven) so who knows. 

20221028_163412.jpg

20221027_133011.jpg

9 hours ago, Maria63 said:

Here is the video where, starting at 2:10 min, it is explained that the refurb was eventually limited only to Haven, due to change of plans because of Covid etc. The video-guy also points out that the rest of the ship is indeed in need of a makeover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnWL47HCB24

Well, that's understandable. It appears they might have undertaken more of these fixes had they not been waylaid by Covid. I'll forgive them for that, it's not as if they ignored these things so much as couldn't get them done. (But it sounds like they will in 2023.)