What Extras Do You Pack?

JamieLogical

On 10/27/2022 at 3:54 PM, KateQ22003 said:

But what is the fun in this? Part of the cruise planning fun for me is planning outfits, and the shoes and jewels to go with them. I take way more than I need, but so what? I like having choices, and I like having my creature comforts. I have never had a storage issue, but I cruise solo a lot 🙂

I'm with you on this...I like choices of what to wear and also to keep things organized in the stateroom. If I don't have to worry about flying, I pretty much bring what I want, so long as I keep under 50 pounds per bag.   I've enjoyed reading this thread because so many of you have such great ideas, especially for organization!

• Like 2

Bringing anything at all extra is very usual for me BUT I am currently seizing the opportunity to depart rather drastically from my usual "carry-on only no matter what" habit.  Since we are cruising out of our home port I am bringing a whole lot of crazy nonsense.  (Everything from cruising ducks to a sleeve of large disposable coffee cups with lids, some Tupperware, real books and even a pop up ottoman).  I will bring the extra stuff onboard in those cheap, disposable plaid "storage bags" ($4 each on Amazon) and use up most of it during our 18 day transatlantic.  Once we reach Europe I will ditch the disposable luggage and return to my normal habits so I don't have to drag anything extra through all the train stations or fly any extra bags home.  

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Also, this reminded me that I don't think anyone has listed Downy Wrinkle Spray yet. I definitely bring that on every cruise!

I also bring this for the few wrinkle-able items we bring.  And, if not that, then a small empty spray bottle for misting/spraying water to de-wrinkle items. 

Also, a small solid stain remover stick for those fine (and not so fine) dining oopsies on my favorite shirts and blouses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lpmom said:

I’m traveling on the Dawn. Do they have drawers or should I buy cubes

My husband & I each have our own color packing cubes.  There're shelves on the Dawn, but I don't remember any drawers (balcony stateroom)...the shelves are small & the packing cubes keep everything organized...it also keeps us out of each others things when searching for something.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

My husband & I each have our own color packing cubes.  There're shelves on the Dawn, but I don't remember any drawers (balcony stateroom)...the shelves are small & the packing cubes keep everything organized...it also keeps us out of each others things when searching for something.

It is easier just to put each person's stuff on its own shelf.  Simply folding things and stacking them neatly makes for very organized storage! 🙂  That way I don't have to pull a cube off of the shelf, dig through the cube to get what I want, then straighten out the cube contents to keep it organized before finally putting the cube back on the shelf.  I just reach onto the shelf and grab what i want.

• Like 1

I’m on the fence about packing cubes. On one hand they seem great for keeping items organized on the other hand they seem to take up so much room in a suitcase that there isn’t any space for packing things (souvenirs) I might pick up along the way and want to bring home with me. Or for bringing home a bottle or two of alcohol. .For those of you who use packing cubes do you find this to be the case?

On 10/28/2022 at 9:42 AM, trivimp said:

Poopouri. Also Fresh Wave spray.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q62MLYT

Poorpouri is an essential, not an extra, when I'm not traveling solo! More for courtesy to whoever is rooming with me than for embarrassment purposes lol.

42 minutes ago, eowyn13 said:

I’m on the fence about packing cubes. On one hand they seem great for keeping items organized on the other hand they seem to take up so much room in a suitcase that there isn’t any space for packing things (souvenirs) I might pick up along the way and want to bring home with me. Or for bringing home a bottle or two of alcohol. .For those of you who use packing cubes do you find this to be the case?

This entirely depends on the packing cubes you use and how you pack them. The ones I have are from eBags, and I have a couple in pretty much every size they have and they are sooooo handy! I am a pretty light traveler (1 carryon suitcase and a backpack, tops, for any trip), don't mind doing a load of laundry during a trip, and don't mind wearing the same thing a few times, so I pack them loosely when leaving and don't truly unpack when I get to a hotel or on a ship - just unzip the top and fold it back and set the whole cube in a drawer or on a shelf, and as I use things out of them, I'll consolidate the clean stuff into one cube and toss the dirty stuff into the empty one. Then on the way home, the cubes get packed a little more tightly/carefully, which gives me more than enough space (and extra padding) for up to 2 bottles of liquor in these inflatable bottle pouches plus space for whatever other things I buy, if anything. 

Packing cubes: https://www.ebags.com/accessories/packing-cubes/classic-6pc-packing-cubes/117786XXXX.html?dwvar_117786XXXX_color=Eggplant&cgidmaster=packing-cubes

Bottle pouches: https://www.travelonbags.com/shop/travel-accessories/waterproof-bottle-pouch/inflatable-bottle-pouch/12875-850.html

• Like 4

I'm a pretty light traveler, so I'd say the only 'extra' things I bring on a cruise are plenty of feminine hygiene products (only made that mistake once - $17 for 6 tampons was insanity but necessary!), a small flashlight, a pen/pencil and some paper or sticky notes, and a well stocked mini first aid kit to include motion sickness meds, allergy meds, throat lozenges, something for general pain/headaches, something for upset stomach, and something for heartburn. The first aid/meds kit is even more necessary now that a lot of ships seem to have moved their entire stock of these items to their medical office and charge an even more ridiculous amount then ever for them.

I got my packing cubes from Amazon and they're very lightweight and fold down completely flat. They were inexpensive and won't last forever, but I've taken them on 3 cruises so far and love them. I'll just replace them when I need to. I have several of every size so my things are organized within each cube and easy to find. I do take out some things and hang them up. Finally got the hubs to use a couple of them and we do each have our own shelves when aboard. I don't pack my suitcase completely full so I don't usually have a problem with adding souvenirs, but I do bring a collapsible duffle just in case. I have a medium Longchamps and it folds up into a little square but holds a ton of stuff. I don't think I've ever been on a ship that had drawers. Hope that helps!

Haven't seen this yet but we always bring a shower mat. Not all ships have the "non-slip" coating on the shower stalls / tubs and "Slip and falls" are super common especially in unpredictable seas. Cheap, small / light to pack and can save you a trip to the infirmary. 

Great suggestion list! 

Safe travels, Amy

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, kylenyc said:

• - For just enough flushable 100% biodegradeable sewer safe bathroom wipes such as Cottonelle.
  •  

On 10/27/2022 at 10:49 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Please don't flush these.  

Agreed.  An alternate to consider which would not clog the ship’s toilet system is a portable bidet, like this one from Amazon.

6 hours ago, amygutman said:

Haven't seen this yet but we always bring a shower mat. Not all ships have the "non-slip" coating on the shower stalls / tubs and "Slip and falls" are super common especially in unpredictable seas. Cheap, small / light to pack and can save you a trip to the infirmary. 

Great suggestion list! 

Safe travels, Amy

That's a novel one for sure.  Do you think water shoes would work too?  Just thinking that, if so (and I don't know) they are smaller/lighter to pack and might serve double duty if you are going someplace warm.  This could be a great tip for rough seas and the balance issues that so many older people have. 

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

That's a novel one for sure.  Do you think water shoes would work too?  Just thinking that, if so (and I don't know) they are smaller/lighter to pack and might serve double duty if you are going someplace warm.  This could be a great tip for rough seas and the balance issues that so many older people have. 

Interesting thought - I thinks wrestling wet feet in and out of shoes would be challenging (but i'me super clumsy).

Honestly, a shower mat takes up very little room, and we often leave it on the ship. We always ask our stateroom attendants if they would like anything of our "accessories" rather than packing to go home. The fabric cubes, magnet hooks / clips, mesh laundry bags, over the bathroom door shoe holders and shower mats are always snapped up quickly as are extra phone charger cords (we usually buy multi-packs on amazon), clotheslines with clips, and poo-pourri.