Celebrity Eclipse in Port Chalmers, Dunedin today - 26th October 2022

10 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks.  I've booked on it for my cruise next year, but some people are saying that it has closed down.

The Taeri Gorge railway was mothballed during COVID, but may have re-opened. If you cruise is offering it as a shore excursion, then it is probably operating again. None of us can tell you from first-hand experience because the last cruises to NZ were in Feb-March 2020.

15 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Is the Taeri Gorge Railway running for cruise ship passengers at Dunedin?

The Taieri Gorge train is only running for cruise ship passengers and can only be booked through the ship's excursions. Taieri Gorge Train Overview

Taieri Gorge Train Schedule

It appears the same route is available one Saturday and four Sundays (one day a month) from November through to March. It is called the Inlander and not the Taieri Gorge train.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks.  I've booked on it for my cruise next year, but some people are saying that it has closed down.

I got a facebook message from them saying they are operating this cruise ship season. 🙂

I received this yesterday....

Hello xxxxxxx

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are delighted to advise that The Taieri Gorge Train Tour is definitely going ahead this season. This is now a 5 hour tour from Port Chalmers into the Taieri Gorge (Hindon Station).

(sample itinerary, see below, differs according to ship arrival time)

Board

Port Chalmers

09:30am

Depart

Port Chalmers

10:00am

Arrive

Dunedin Railway Station

10:45am

Depart

Dunedin Railway Station

11:00am

Arrive

Hindon Railway Station

12:10pm

Depart

Hindon Railway Station

13:10pm

Arrive

Dunedin Railway Station

14:20pm

Depart

Dunedin Railway Station

14:35pm

Arrive

Port Chalmers

15:00pm

Taieri Gorge Train Tour  

An iconic rail journey through the remote mountain scenery of the world-famous Taieri Gorge.

Inspired by the famous Central Otago gold rush of the 1860’s, plans were drawn up for an Otago Central railway line to Cromwell from Dunedin - the largest and richest city in New Zealand at the time.

Experience an epic rail journey over white water rapids, towering viaducts and historic tunnels along the remote Taieri Gorge.

Your 5 hour journey begins at Port Chalmers in Dunedin. Travel in the comfort of contemporary carriages, fully enclosed with air conditioning, table seating and panoramic windows. The trains are hauled by powerful 1960s DJ diesel electric locomotives.

Detour via Dunedin Railway Station, which is one of the country's most prominent architectural landmarks, taking pride of place in the central city.

Continue to the Taieri Gorge, all the way through to Hindon Station, along the way taking in the magnificent stone and wrought iron viaducts and bridges, with sheer drops plunging down to the river gorge far below.

Weave your way through no less than eight tunnels carved into the mountain rock, including the famous Caversham Tunnel which is 1,407 metres long, making it the 3rd longest in the South Island. Traverse the historic Wingatui Viaduct, a marvel of 1880s construction that remains the largest wrought iron structure in New Zealand.

Absorb the history, stories and culture of the region with our onboard commentary.   All of this and much, much more in between.                                                                                                            

https://www.taierigorgeshoreexcursion.com/

All bookings are available for purchase direct with your Cruise Line.

If you are visiting Picton, The Marlborough Flyer is also recommended https://www.marlboroughflyer.co.nz/ (also available direct with your Cruise Line).

If, closer to the time, you still cannot access bookings direct with your cruise line then please let us know and we will follow this up for you.

Kind regards

Paul

From: mailer@multiscreensite.com <mailer@multiscreensite.com> On Behalf Of form-processor
Sent: Thursday, 27 October 2022 9:50 PM
To: info@pounamutourismgroup.com
Subject: Taieri Gorge Train 

Is that Taieri Gorge train operating or not?
We will be in town on a cruise ship on January 8th and would like do see something lovely. And your train comes highly recommend by Kiwi friends

Thank you for your reply,  Paul.

Are tix available directly from you guys?
From experience, booking through the CRUISE LINE, doubles the prices. 

I'd like to forward all the info to a blog on "Cruise Critic". Many people would be interested to know.
🙂
Show quoted text

So the cruise ship is hogging all the available bookings 🙁 Had a similar experience in Christchurch re the Tranz Alpine train journey. A Cunard ship was in port the same day and they'd booked the trip out. It wasn't even an option from our ship. We flew direct to Christchurch on another occasion to do the trip (pre-booked) and were treated to a decent snowfall overnight, making the scenery even more magical 🤗

When you were able to book directly, the price was much cheaper.  I only booked with the cruise line because I was able to get it through OBC.   It is a shame they cannot take bookings directly, but I guess you could say the railway line was rescued from closure by cruise ship bookings.

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

When you were able to book directly, the price was much cheaper.  I only booked with the cruise line because I was able to get it through OBC.   It is a shame they cannot take bookings directly, but I guess you could say the railway line was rescued from closure by cruise ship bookings.

When we were in Dunedin, we did the Taieri Gorge train excursion privately. We caught the train from Dunedin Station after being taken there by coach. This was a completely separate train to the one which went from Port Chalmers with the cruise ship excursion passengers. I read that during Covid, that as the train was mothballed that the rolling stock was sent to the North Island. Taieri Gorge Train

Perhaps there isn't enough rolling stock to cover the number of train trips prior to Covid.