Princess vs Carnival

ToyFoxFan

Dare I tell anyone on Princess that I am a Carnival cruiser? Wonder what they will be thinking. "I better stay away from that couple - they'll probably start a fight."  "I wonder how big their trailer is." "I wonder how they could afford Princess."

The smug is palpable. I'm so hoping I haven't made a mistake in booking Princess.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Dare I tell anyone on Princess that I am a Carnival cruiser? Wonder what they will be thinking. "I better stay away from that couple - they'll probably start a fight."  "I wonder how big their trailer is." "I wonder how they could afford Princess."

The smug is palpable. I'm so hoping I haven't made a mistake in booking Princess.

You left out "a bunch of Walmart shoppers".

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I don't think you'll regret giving Princess a try.  I see in your signature your up next on the Discovery, we just sailed her and had a wonderful cruise. We met many friendly passengers and crew.  The ship is new and we really enjoyed all that it offered.  This was our second Princess cruise, our next Caribbean cruise in March is on RCI, and yes we have sailed Carnival multiple times.  You'll fit in fine.

Keep in mind as I'm sure you know this already, CC  for the most part is a message board where people can offer their opinions and are protected by a level of anonymity.  It's not like you're going to find fellow Princess passengers on the Discovery saying a lot about how they really feel about other cruise line passengers to their face.  It's easier to come here and render these opinions and drive up your post count at the same time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Most Princess passengers are polite and friendly.  It's only on these boards that the ugly comes out.  I guess I'll never figure out why some people think YouTube is real life.  Or why it's helpful to insult whole groups of people based on that.  Especially people who admit they have never set foot on a Carnival ship.  It's some psychological or self esteem thing, I suppose.  

Edited by Kay S
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lol....the comparison is not even close. You get what you pay for.

PCL >>>>>>>>>>>>CCL

PCL you get:

1. 24 hour food

2. they will not charge you for any entree beyond your 2nd entree

3. the fees for specialty dining is less on PCL vs CCL

4. pizza on PCL is much better than CCL

5. less fighting on PCL ships

There is a lot more needless to say. 

10 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Ppl treat me like that, esp the higher end the cruise line is. Since I am young, ppl think I work for the cruise line. The nerve of ppl. Don't let it bother you. 

I am not a fan of pretentious people. I often find them to be middle class joes pretending to be upper class tbh (no shame and nothing wrong with being middle class as I am middle class too). I have had multiple people thumb their noses at me and think I am an uneducated brute only to find out that I am doctor when they ask. You should see their reaction when I turn around and ask them what they do for a living. They scurry away. 

Morale of the story: Let people look down on you. Who cares? You have to give consent to allow others to make you feel bad about yourself. So don't give it to them. And so what if you live in a trailer? What's so terrible about living a trailer?

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 4:19 PM, JeffT237 said:

I've read many threads over the years that are very critical of Carnival cruise passengers, or at least the perception of those who cruise Carnival.  We've taken several cruises on Carnival, RCI and our last recent 2 cruises were with Princess.  We are not loyal to any brand at this point, maybe some day we will be.  What exactly is it about Carnival passengers that elicits so much criticism?  I hear things like "unrefined" "uncivilized" "Walmart of the Seas" "trailer park trash" or "I've seen some Carnival passengers in port. I'm glad I'm not on their cruise".  What exactly is it? People post and make these general statements but what is it you mean?  

If what you see on YouTube or other social media is your barometer to judge an entire group of people, brand or industry I'd say you probably need to expand your horizon just a bit.  You can find anything you want on YouTube and it's easy to assign that to the behavior of just about anything, I've found most of the time it's the exception, not the rule.  

I'm not calling out anyone poster in particular, as these opinions have always existed and exist on other boards.  Our first cruise on Princess was in May on the Crown, it's been documented many times on CC the Crown issues, which led to some of the most rude and abusive behavior towards the crew and other passengers I have ever seen on a cruise.  I'm glad I didn't let our first bad Princess experience as well as some of the rude Princess passengers ruin our experience at the time as well as leaving me biased against the brand.  We just returned from the Discovery and had an awesome time on a great ship and met many friendly Princess passengers, and in conversation some have even sailed Carnival.  Imagine that?

I love watching the rambunctious people fight and scrap. It's not a bug; it's a feature. Free entertainment!

2 hours ago, DrSea said:

Lol....the comparison is not even close. You get what you pay for.

PCL >>>>>>>>>>>>CCL

PCL you get:

4. pizza on PCL is much better than CCL

My experience is that the best pizza I have had on a cruise ship was on a Carnival ship. Made to order near the buffet, it was a personal size pizza that had a great crust and a great taste.

2 hours ago, DrSea said:

. . . 

Morale of the story: Let people look down on you. Who cares? You have to give consent to allow others to make you feel bad about yourself. So don't give it to them. And so what if you live in a trailer? What's so terrible about living a trailer?

I will certainly not feel bad about who I am - I was really just trying to make a point. I have no problem owning the fact that I am a Carnival cruiser. And while I don't happen to live in a trailer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with living in one. But the people on this thread calling them "trailer trash" don't agree with us.

• Like 1

We cruise once every few years but plan to take more in the future.  We cruised on Princess once about 20 years ago and are considering another one next year. 

Most of our cruises over the last 15 years have been on Carnival but I'm not into the recent corporate alliances with celebrities like Guy Fieri etc.  and uniformity of product over every ship.  The physical investment in new facilities on Carnival ships has been amazing, and the food is still surprisingly good, but I kind of miss the old wackiness and more individuality in which the company would allow cruise directors and entertainment staff a little more flexibility in planning activities.  Also I thought Carnival Legends (where guests would be part of the finale show on the last night) was really fun, and that has been dumped.

As we get older (and grumpier?) I find myself pining for a few old-school cruise features like assigned dining with people we have never met before but sit with every day and become friends by the end of the week.  Is that still happening on Princess or has it gone the way of calling someone on the phone without sending them a text to see if it would interrupt them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzdoug said:

As we get older (and grumpier?) I find myself pining for a few old-school cruise features like assigned dining with people we have never met before but sit with every day and become friends by the end of the week.  Is that still happening on Princess or has it gone the way of calling someone on the phone without sending them a text to see if it would interrupt them?

Gone.  Now you get to use your phone to schedule your dinner and your new friends.

I still say food in general is better on Carnival.

• Like 2