Self service soda?

zorky12

1 minute ago, zorky12 said:

Does Mardi Gras have self service soda? Was wandering how they did it. Was on Royal and it was special cups with a sensor. Will be on Celebration in 30 days I thinks its exactly like Mardi Gras 

Yes, you put your Sail and Sign card on the reader and it trips the soda dispenser into whatever cup you use.  

• Like 1

Just be prepared because the timer is very short and once you’ve used it you can’t go back for a few minutes. I’m sure it’s to keep people from having the whole family fill up on one bottomless bubbles account but it’s just not enough time. If you swipe your card then go to grab a glass, then fill your cup with ice then go to choose your soda, you’ll only get a half a glass at best. So be sure to grab your glass and fill it with ice first and have it ready to go BEFORE you swipe your card. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm kinda shocked Carnival would spend the money for this, when the wait at a bar and potential attitude from the bartender (or just ignoring you if they know you have the soda package) is a bit of a deterrent from getting that glass of soda you've already paid for with BB.  But then again, they usually pour from cans at the bars,  and fountain soda is cheaper. 

3 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I'm kinda shocked Carnival would spend the money for this, when the wait at a bar and potential attitude from the bartender (or just ignoring you if they know you have the soda package) is a bit of a deterrent from getting that glass of soda you've already paid for with BB.  But then again, they usually pour from cans at the bars,  and fountain soda is cheaper. 

I’m so glad I don’t have to go to a bar to get a soda on Mardi Gras next week! I’ve experienced exactly what you mentioned a few times this year. One bartender basically threw a can at me, no cup or ice just the can and basically shewed me away like I was a bother. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I'm actually shocked Carnival doesn't have self-serve soda. Fountain soda is cheaper than canned soda. Not only that, but it frees up bar labor to serve more alcoholic drinks, which could possibly bring more margin. I have a hard time thinking of any business that serves cans for these reasons, and maybe more.

It also sounds like the machine has measures in place to automate against abuse. 

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

I'm actually shocked Carnival doesn't have self-serve soda. Fountain soda is cheaper than canned soda. Not only that, but it frees up bar labor to serve more alcoholic drinks, which could possibly bring more margin. I have a hard time thinking of any business that serves cans for these reasons, and maybe more.

It also sounds like the machine has measures in place to automate against abuse. 

Yeah, I never understood why Carnival still pours soda from cans almost everywhere when most other cruise lines have bar guns, at least at busier/higher volume bars.

9 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I’m so glad I don’t have to go to a bar to get a soda on Mardi Gras next week! I’ve experienced exactly what you mentioned a few times this year. One bartender basically threw a can at me, no cup or ice just the can and basically shewed me away like I was a bother. 

That is ridiculous! Your soda package has the 18 percent markup! I think the hardest part is the kids having to go to the bars. Really inappropriate and they get ignored. 

3 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Yeah, I never understood why Carnival still pours soda from cans almost everywhere when most other cruise lines have bar guns, at least at busier/higher volume bars.

Fountain pop requires CO2 canisters which must have higher safety regulations than popping a tab.  I know on land, we needed to chain the canisters to the wall to prevent falling (creating a missile).    Maybe @chengkp75 knows what would be needed? 

16 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

Just be prepared because the timer is very short and once you’ve used it you can’t go back for a few minutes. I’m sure it’s to keep people from having the whole family fill up on one bottomless bubbles account but it’s just not enough time. If you swipe your card then go to grab a glass, then fill your cup with ice then go to choose your soda, you’ll only get a half a glass at best. So be sure to grab your glass and fill it with ice first and have it ready to go BEFORE you swipe your card. 

I think I remember John Heald said that it can fill 16 oz per swipe every 5 minutes

6 hours ago, NanoGirl21 said:

I think I remember John Heald said that it can fill 16 oz per swipe every 5 minutes

Yeah but the time allotted is very short. If you use that time to grab the glass and fill it with ice you don’t have enough time to even get half that amount. Most of the time I was heading out to a show or meeting up with family and didn’t have the time to wait around till it would let me get more soda. But like I said, if you have your glass ready and filled with ice before you swipe your card then you should be ok. I would also recommend bringing a yeti cup or tumbler. Half the time there weren’t any glasses available at odd times of the day like between lunch and dinner or late night. But even with the glitches I still liked it better than waiting at bars for drinks. 

• Like 1

I'll take a can or bottle of  soda, beer or wine before I drank anything on tap.

Years ago I saw the taps being cleaned when I worked at a bar/restaurant in college.

Saying it was nasty is being kind.

I'll happily wait at a bar!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgttami said:

I'll take a can or bottle of  soda, beer or wine before I drank anything on tap.

Years ago I saw the taps being cleaned when I worked at a bar/restaurant in college.

Saying it was nasty is being kind.

I'll happily wait at a bar!

You really don't want to look in the ice bins either.  They are never emptied.  Some of the ice has been it in since install. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You really don't want to look in the ice bins either.  They are never emptied.  Some of the ice has been it in since install. 

They burn those ice coolers and wipe down with each shut down, seen them close some over time as they switch to another.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, cruisinqt said:

As I recall, it's a 20-second timer.   So yes, get your glass pre-prepped with ice first, then do the card.  

When you use the card, do it firmly and only once, because the system interprets a second accidental swipe as a new request and blocks it for 5? 15? minutes, as per its programming. 

19 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Blech.  The taste from bar soda guns is often....less than optimal.  

That being said, I remember seeing a soda gun at the aft pool bar on the Conquest, but that was years ago.  

15 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yes, just Lido

There's also one in Summers Landing, portside.  It's around a slight corner so easy to miss unless you're looking for it.  

2 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Which ships have the self service sodas?

Mardi Gras and forward. Mardi Gras also has cobra heads in the bars. Rumor was Red Frog had Coke in the Cobra because many people could not stand the taste of Rum & Pepsi.