What happens if you don't order the Medallion device?

kaisatsu

I'm trying to order the devices for our upcoming cruise, but the app spends a few minutes loading every page, and I'm running out of patience.

When I finally get to the order review, it shows the 2 basic medallions at $0 each and 3 complimentary lanyards at $0 each (I can't seem to remove the extra). The total for the order (picking it up at embarkation) is $5.00. What am I paying $5 for? Is that just a standard service charge that's always included?

If we give up and just ignore the whole thing, what happens? Do we go back to the classic cruise card?

7 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

I'm trying to order the devices for our upcoming cruise, but the app spends a few minutes loading every page, and I'm running out of patience.

When I finally get to the order review, it shows the 2 basic medallions at $0 each and 3 complimentary lanyards at $0 each (I can't seem to remove the extra). The total for the order (picking it up at embarkation) is $5.00. What am I paying $5 for? Is that just a standard service charge that's always included?

If we give up and just ignore the whole thing, what happens? Do we go back to the classic cruise card?

Sounds like an App glitch. Just go on the website version of the App. You can order it there. Use your name, dob and booking number on the cruise personalizer.

If you don’t order it, don’t worry, you can just pick up at the port.  It only takes a few mins.  

• Like 2

I will order mine but the 2 older people I am travelling with have never used a computer before and never own a cell phone.  What can they do?  We have side by side cabins .  Can I use mine to help them? Any advice appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, mia mom said:

I will order mine but the 2 older people I am travelling with have never used a computer before and never own a cell phone.  What can they do?  We have side by side cabins .  Can I use mine to help them? Any advice appreciated. 

They will need their own medallion to open their door and for security to get off/on the ship, to order drinks or coffee, etc.  

They can still just pick it up at the port at checkin.

Can you check them in on the App or on the website version of the App?

I checked my DS and BIL in for them. You can order the medallion for them too on the App or the website version. 

I would print their travel summary and luggage tags from the website for them.

They can take that and their passports and any other documents to the port and let the check in counter do the rest.

• Like 2

If you don't get the device by mail, you can pick it up at the desk in check-in at the pier.  I had one sent to the wrong address (their screw up) but got a new one before boarding.  It didn't take much longer than the old way of picking up the cruise card.

7 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

When I finally get to the order review, it shows the 2 basic medallions at $0 each and 3 complimentary lanyards at $0 each (I can't seem to remove the extra).

Are you saying you're trying to remove the "complimentary lanyards"? Because, you can't. Just order the medallions with the lanyards (you'll probably only get one for each medallion - they're packaged that way). If you don't want the lanyards...drop them in the trash.

PS: there should be no charge to pick them up at the port.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

3 hours ago, mia mom said:

You can absolutely use yours to help them.  Log in with their names, birth date and booking number. 

13 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Are you saying you're trying to remove the "complimentary lanyards"? Because, you can't. Just order the medallions with the lanyards (you'll probably only get one for each medallion - they're packaged that way). If you don't want the lanyards...drop them in the trash.

PS: there should be no charge to pick them up at the port.

I was trying to remove the extra lanyard to see if the $5 charge would also go away. I know it's not a lot of money, but I'm not thrilled about paying a random $5 for nothing, especially if it's not supposed to be there.

I have been in touch with Princess, and their suggestion was to pay the $5 to complete the order, and then cancel it so the charge would hopefully be refunded back to my credit card.

I opted to leave it for the time being, so they can escalate it to the IT people and possibly fix whatever bug led to this scenario.

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

I have been in touch with Princess, and their suggestion was to pay the $5 to complete the order, and then cancel it so the charge would hopefully be refunded back to my credit card.

I opted to leave it for the time being, so they can escalate it to the IT people and possibly fix whatever bug led to this scenario.

They won't mail to Norway...so where are you asking the medallions to be shipped?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

They won't mail to Norway...so where are you asking the medallions to be shipped?

The OP is in Norway?  Would be helpful if posters would give more information, so we don’t have to check their profile or guess.

Good catch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The OP is in Norway?  Would be helpful if posters would give more information, so we don’t have to check their profile or guess.

Good catch.

How is this relevant? I specified in the original post that I had requested to pick up the medallions at embarkation.

Were you thinking the $5 mystery charge is some kind of fee for non-US based guests? Because Princess has confirmed to me that it was a software glitch, and that it should not be there.

I did, however, do my medallion selection while I was physically in the US 5 days ago, but the app kept timing out, so I gave up. Yesterday after updating the app to the newer version I completed the medallion selection for my cabinmate while in Norway. It was at that point that I first saw the order summary with the extra lanyard and the unaccounted $5.00 charge. If you have inside knowledge about Princess IT and can explain how my location caused this to happen, maybe you can also give me a hint about how to fix it?

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Good catch.

Right there under the OP's name it says Norway.  Under yours is says US.  Under mine it says California (which some people think is its own country.  😁)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

How is this relevant? I specified in the original post that I had requested to pick up the medallions at embarkation.

Were you thinking the $5 mystery charge is some kind of fee for non-US based guests? Because Princess has confirmed to me that it was a software glitch, and that it should not be there.

I did, however, do my medallion selection while I was physically in the US 5 days ago, but the app kept timing out, so I gave up. Yesterday after updating the app to the newer version I completed the medallion selection for my cabinmate while in Norway. It was at that point that I first saw the order summary with the extra lanyard and the unaccounted $5.00 charge. If you have inside knowledge about Princess IT and can explain how my location caused this to happen, maybe you can also give me a hint about how to fix it?

Thank you for that explanation.  I apologize, as I was thinking you were doing a pickup at a non US port. 

There are many updates on the weekends and sometimes there are glitches and errors.  I do believe that $5 charge was a glitch.

I do not have insider information, just trying to help fellow CC members.

If PCL IT cannot correct it, it is not a problem to pick up at the port. FLL is VERY efficient and you’ll find it only takes a few more minutes. 

Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1