Hello.. some help (please)..

MisterMatthew

For those that have sailed to AK... or those that just "know"... can you let me know what it is like for sunrise and sunset?  I ask because a rider (I do UBER) today told me that "In May, you're likely to see Sunrise at 4am.  And, you will see Sunset at 11pm".  (While in Juneau).

They said they were a resident in Juneau, AK.  Umm, is it similar for other parts of AK?  Sitka?  Ketchikan?  (I may have spelled those cities wrong!).

Thank you.

---matthew

21 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

can you let me know what it is like for sunrise and sunset?

Sunrise/set in Alaska in May will be lingering. The first light will arrive long before the sun actually rises, and similarly with the sunset, there will be pink sky for a long time after the official setting of the sun. 

My first time there (later July, which is similar to mid-May) I was determined to sit in the forward lounge until there was no more pink in the sky---long after sunset. I gave up around 1:00 AM. 
I awoke one night to see pitch dark along the water level, but some light in the sky. I don't remember the time, but it was the middle of the night. 

The further north the ship goes, the earlier the sunrise, and the later the sunset, until you get to the Arctic Circle. North of that, the sun has a period when it doesn't set. Or rise. It just rolls along the horizon. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

can you let me know what it is like for sunrise and sunset?  I ask because a rider (I do UBER) today told me that "In May, you're likely to see Sunrise at 4am.  And, you will see Sunset at 11pm".  (While in Juneau).

They said they were a resident in Juneau, AK.  Umm, is it similar for other parts of AK?  Sitka?  Ketchikan?  (I may have spelled those cities wrong!).

It is more similar than different in all of Alaska. Ketchikan (perfect spelling) is a little farther south and so a little earlier sunset and later sunrise. But it is "light late" and early!

Funny story: after first cruise to AK in 2009, we rented car and drove inland. We were in Palmer AK on the Summer Solstice, staying at a bed-n-breakfast on the second floor of the house. The people kept sheep and other animals -- sometime after midnight, my mom and I looked out the window down at the pasture and laughed to see the sheep running in circles madly and well-lit!

Here is a NOAA calculator for sunrise/set:

https://gml.noaa.gov/grad/solcalc/sunrise.html

12 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Sunrise/set in Alaska in May will be lingering. The first light will arrive long before the sun actually rises, and similarly with the sunset, there will be pink sky for a long time after the official setting of the sun. 

My first time there (later July, which is similar to mid-May) I was determined to sit in the forward lounge until there was no more pink in the sky---long after sunset. I gave up around 1:00 AM. 
I awoke one night to see pitch dark along the water level, but some light in the sky. I don't remember the time, but it was the middle of the night. 

The further north the ship goes, the earlier the sunrise, and the later the sunset, until you get to the Arctic Circle. North of that, the sun has a period when it doesn't set. Or rise. It just rolls along the horizon. 

Ruth .. thank you.  I really appreciate it.

• Like 1