Driving to Galveston-looking for advice

kelkel2

So, we’re considering driving to Galveston for our next cruise. It’s about 14-15 hours so we would break it up into 2 days. I’m kind of doing my research now because I’ll need to present the pro’s and con’s to my husband. 
Anyways, I’m plotting a route leaving central Illinois and Apple Maps, google maps, and Mapquest all want me to take I-55 south of St. Louis to US 67 through Missouri and into Arkansas all the way to Little Rock. Is US 67 a 4 lane highway? Also will there be traffic lights and other things to deal with since it’s a highway and not an interstate? I can avoid US 67 if necessary but it would add time to the trip. Does anyone here have any experience with this area? 

US 67 in north Arkansas is mostly four lanes with a few lights but not many. That is probably the best way. I am not sure if you are familiar with apps but the free WAZE app on your phone is a great real time navigation tool. Good luck! 

• Like 1

@kelkel2 when I drive that route, I stay on I-55S to I-40W. At Little Rock use I-440 to skirt the south side. Then I-30W to US-59S at Texarkana.  US-59 is 4 lane and is the I-69 corridor as that is what it becomes north of Dallas. 

This may add 50 miles overall but I think the increased speed of more limited access hwy make up for the miles.

JMHO

3 hours ago, cruisegus said:

@kelkel2 when I drive that route, I stay on I-55S to I-40W. At Little Rock use I-440 to skirt the south side. Then I-30W to US-59S at Texarkana.  US-59 is 4 lane and is the I-69 corridor as that is what it becomes north of Dallas. 

This may add 50 miles overall but I think the increased speed of more limited access hwy make up for the miles.

JMHO

Thank, that’s an option too. I was also seeing that I could take I-57 south to Memphis and pick it up there. That’s one of the main reasons I asked. Sometimes you just have to outsmart the navigation. I’d love to stay primarily interstate if at all possible. 

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you plan on taking the toll road through Houston?

I know there’s tolls but I’m unsure which road they’re on. I don’t really mind taking it, we have am I-pass that works most places in the US that we can load money on so that’s not a big deal to us.

7 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

I know there’s tolls but I’m unsure which road they’re on. I don’t really mind taking it, we have am I-pass that works most places in the US that we can load money on so that’s not a big deal to us.

Sam Houston Toll Road.  Your I-pass won't work there.

11 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

You'll receive a toll bill in the mail.  Will have a higher toll charge and an additional processing fee but still worth it to avoid traffic.

9 hours ago, txjim09 said:

You'll receive a toll bill in the mail.  Will have a higher toll charge and an additional processing fee but still worth it to avoid traffic.

Honestly, as long as you're avoiding weekday rush hours, you should be fine pushing through Houston going from 59 to 45 which will take you into Galveston.

Really just depends on your anticipated timing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casteevo said:

Honestly, as long as you're avoiding weekday rush hours, you should be fine pushing through Houston going from 59 to 45 which will take you into Galveston.

Really just depends on your anticipated timing.

Yes, Waze wants me to go through town 59 to I45. We would likely go through mid day. Looking at the map, Texarkana looks like a good stopping point to spend the night so we would have a few hours drive in the morning to get to Houston, which would hopefully avoid rush hour. 

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

How is Hwy 146?

Major constructions now and traffic lights after traffic lights. Wouldn't consider that an option. I've lived in Houston over 70 years, just do 59(also called 69 in parts) to 45. No need in making it hard. Any road in the Houston area can be an issue or no issue. Pay your money (or don't pay any money) and take your chances. 🤪

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Major constructions now and traffic lights after traffic lights. Wouldn't consider that an option. I've lived in Houston over 70 years, just do 59(also called 69 in parts) to 45. No need in making it hard. Any road in the Houston area can be an issue or no issue. Pay your money (or don't pay any money) and take your chances. 🤪

Thank you! I appreciate that info. I’m used to driving in Chicago, so it’s the same deal there. You can go around tolls and save time or really screw up your drive, depends on the day. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm from Alabama and have no intention of purchasing a TxTag.  Can I still use the toll road?

27 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Have no idea. 

I think from what I read it just sounds like they scan your license plate and send you a bill in the mail. It’s how the Kentucky one on I65 works as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm from Alabama and have no intention of purchasing a TxTag.  Can I still use the toll road?

Yes, we're from Wyoming and used the toll roads driving through Houston. We received a bill in the mail about 2 weeks later. One piece of advice is to not slow down or stop when approaching the tolls. There are booths but are no longer manned. Not knowing, we slowed down, preparing to stop and pay. The car coming up behind us honked their horn and flashed their lights at us. Had we stopped we might have caused a pileup. As we drove through we could see the booth was empty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WildBlueYonder64 said:

Yes, we're from Wyoming and used the toll roads driving through Houston. We received a bill in the mail about 2 weeks later. One piece of advice is to not slow down or stop when approaching the tolls. There are booths but are no longer manned. Not knowing, we slowed down, preparing to stop and pay. The car coming up behind us honked their horn and flashed their lights at us. Had we stopped we might have caused a pileup. As we drove through we could see the booth was empty.

That information will make my trip easier.  Thanks.

We drive to/from Galveston often for cruises - will be doing so again this weekend.  Our route is US59/69 once we get through Texarkana.  As you get into Houston, take Exits 610 East then 32A going to Galveston.  That will avoid tolls.  Coming back, take Exits 40B and 20A returning from Galveston.  These are my cheaters!  

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:01 AM, kelkel2 said:

Yes, Waze wants me to go through town 59 to I45. We would likely go through mid day. Looking at the map, Texarkana looks like a good stopping point to spend the night so we would have a few hours drive in the morning to get to Houston, which would hopefully avoid rush hour. 

Houston traffic is bad all times of the day!

• Like 3

Depends on day, time of day and which direction traffic is heading.  In general it moves reasonably well but you can get behind a line of trucks with boat trailers on Saturdays and Sundays.  I don't believe it's a major route for large commercial traffic, perhaps someone local can correct me.  I would not worry about the crossing one bit.

I will say that I've seen more dolphins on the ferry than anyone on the dolphin tour.