Double "Royal Up" possible?

I'm wondering if anybody ever had the opportunity to do a double Royal Up?

I noticed first there were a lot of lower category cabins available....after the upgrade process started a lot of medium category cabins opened up und the high end suites are all gone now.

Sailing ist not really booked so you can kind of see the cabins moving....

I got a little upgrade ( not really exited about that one) but would love to move up further - as now a lot of balcony cabins opend up as people moved to JS and up.

So will they give you a second shot at bidding - as now the invetory is a lot different than what it was -  when the 1st round of upgrades happened!

Also any thougts on bidding on multible cabins opposed to only bidding on the one you really want?

I have a feeling that bidding on many categories diminishes the chance of getting the category that is more rare.

Edited by cruiseboy89130

Everything I've read on CC would say that it is a "one and done" winning bid. If you go out to RCL's website and scroll all the way to the bottom you will wee the RoyalUp banner. Try putting your booking number in and see if it lets you bid again.

8 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

So will they give you a second shot at bidding - as now the invetory is a lot different than what it was -  when the 1st round of upgrades happened!

That may have been possible pre COVID, but most reporting suggests that it is not an option now.

• Thanks 1

Can you just call in and upgrade your cabin?  It might be cheaper than a bid anyway.  I'm not sure how they would handle an upgrade request on a cabin won through a bid, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Edited by KimA75
spelling error

4 minutes ago, KimA75 said:

I'm not sure how they would handle an upgrade request on a cabin won through a bid, but it couldn't hurt to try.

One has to be really careful when buying an upgrade - make sure you cancel all Royal Up bids BEFORE doing so. We have had reports of folks forgetting they bid, self-upgrade and then getting charged for the Royal Up win.

Edited by Biker19

As you have received one RoyalUp upgrade, I think you are done as it is unlikely you will be offered a second opportunity to bid.  It does not hurt to check the RoyalUp site occasionally; if they give you a chance to bid again, go for it.

in terms of bidding strategy for the future, if I am excited by certain categories I concentrate my bids there.  I often choose not to bid on categories about which I am less enthusiastic.  I figure bids on those categories might backfire…I might win a category that does not excite me and that winning bid knocks me out of contention for the categories I really wanted.  In my case I might be starting in a balcony, and I really hope to upgrade to a full suite.  So, I bid strongly on the full suites but I might decide not bid at all on the JS.  Others love the JS so they’d bid on it, too.  You have to use your personal priorities, not somebody else’s priorities.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

As you have received one RoyalUp upgrade, I think you are done as it is unlikely you will be offered a second opportunity to bid.  It does not hurt to check the RoyalUp site occasionally; if they give you a chance to bid again, go for it.

in terms of bidding strategy for the future, if I am excited by certain categories I concentrate my bids there.  I often choose not to bid on categories about which I am less enthusiastic.  I figure bids on those categories might backfire…I might win a category that does not excite me and that winning bid knocks me out of contention for the categories I really wanted.  In my case I might be starting in a balcony, and I really hope to upgrade to a full suite.  So, I bid strongly on the full suites but I might decide not bid at all on the JS.  Others love the JS so they’d bid on it, too.  You have to use your personal priorities, not somebody else’s priorities.

I totally agree! I think 2 things came into play when I bid "wrong" - I bid on a category that was just OK for me - with a low bid .

But also with a higher bid (also higher minimum) on the category I really wanted - at the time I assumed they would like to get the higher $$ but availibility on the $$ bid was close to 0.

So I won the unexciting $ bid and the $$ bid expired - a few days later the tables have turned and there are as many $$ cabins available as there are $ cabins but now I'm "stuck" with the $ cabin which is Ok and better than no upgrade at all....

next time I would hold back until closer to sailing if there are that many $ cabins hoping for $$ cabins to open up and only than start the bidding process and maybe even hold back further on a $ cabin bid until close to sailing....as long as there is quite a bit of them available.