Queen Elizabeth 54 days of cruising on her this year. My views

lissie

OK so finally back home from 3.5 months travel which included 2 cruises on the QE 

SFO-Barcelona 24 Jul - 29 Aug  (aka  1st 22 ) 

Barcelona-Singapore 10-30 Oct  ( aka 2nd 22) 

We'd previously also sailed on her in Feb 20  Syd - PNG-Syd (aka pre-C )  so I do have the "before" view.  The only other cruise we've done was a Heritage expeditions cruise to southern NZ in 2021.  

We are very well travelled 60/70 yo couple.  I've chosen to focus on the features that matter to us - and differences we observed.  We sailed all 3  cruises in an inside deluxe cabin (1068  and 1064) . 

Rather than doing yet another review - I thought I'd  list some comparison points across these cruises  

Dancing

We are ballroom dancers - that' why we chose Cunard over Princess back in 2020.   Back then we danced most nights before late dining.  Now this isn't an option. Both of this year's cruises featured recorded music from 6-7:15pm - this was generally poorly attended - in fact towards the end of the last cruise the helpful tech asked us what tempos we wanted! Also during the last cruise sometimes, we had to compete with the next act setting up and practicing.  At 7:15 one of the duo or the guitarist would come on. Zero chance of doing any form of  dancing at that point.  After dinner if we weren't going to the show we'd go back to the Queens Room.  All the cruises had the queen's room orchestra with a male and female vocalist.   The  pre-C cruise these were brilliant and every piece was in the correct temp and danceable. First cruise 22 - OK - the band was sometimes off time, the solo male was undanceable. The 2nd 22 cruise we gave up about 1/2 way through (and remembering that we had 8 sea days in a row it takes a lot for us to give up).  The solo female (with a backin track) was the easiest to dance to. The band often announced the wrong tempo e.g. announced a rhumba - when it was actually a chacha.  I noticed fewer and fewer dancers making use of the Queens Room. I have a distinct feeling that cunard is looking for an excuse to repurpose this space. 

The Entertainment director and team were there every night pre-C cruise. On the 1st 22 cruise they were there when they were allowed to be - once the laundries are shut for Covid clearly they were told not to expose themselves to passengers. The (solo) pro dancer also showed up often.  The 2nd cruise (with far fewer covid cases and restrictions) - the entertainment director was never seen and I don't think I saw any of her team either. It was clear that the ballroom wasn't important to them. Sad. 

Bars  

During the 1st 22 cruise the staff were amazing - a waiter always came to you as soon as you walked into a venue. Everything appeared to be in stock, and every cocktail I asked for could be provided. Weird over supply of Fosters (beer) meant it was on special most of the trip. The 2nd cruise big difference. Staff appeared far less experienced. Plenty of items were out of stock from the start of the cruise.  They even ran out of garnishes to make the Q. Mary Perfect Serve. Staff appeared missing from many venues- the Garden Bar was the worst - waited 40 min and never got table service in the Garden Lounge. Queens Room not staffed at all until around 7pm.  Hard to get a drink in the pub before trivial @ 7:30.  The 1st cruise had around  1400pax  the 2nd 22 cruise had more - maybe 1800? This maybe part of the issue - but the crew just seemed less experienced. 

Lecturers 

Mixed bag - but all cruises seemed to have least  one awful one.  There was zero acknowledgement of the transit of the Suez Canal on the 2nd cruise - odd  as it was why most of us were doing the cruise. No relevant lecturers prior, no commentary on the day, not even any detail on the timings in the daily programme, e.g. what time would we enter. The truly appalling seafarer lecturer on this cruise advertised a lecturer about the Suez (after the event) but it was only covered briefly. This was typical of this lecturer - he seemed to want to  be a stand up comedian   and didn't actually know how to deliver a talk reflecting the title advertised.  If I'd gone to one more of his live lecturers I would have made a formal complaint about the insults against anyone who weren't white  straight men , which he thought was funny. 

In total contrast the transit of the Panama Canal on 1st 22 was brilliant- several lecturers from an excellent engineer (would have been more if he hadn't had covid), who also did a 12 hour live commentary on the outside decks.  The first cruise also had a great astronomer who did a fantastic series of talks and then attempted to do a late night outside talk on the aft Lido deck. Unfortunately, they only turned out a few lights so it was impossible to see anything with a full moon.  

If you want to see dark skys - the ship runs dark between the Red Sea and Oman - the so-called pirate zone.  Very poor wording in the daily programme meant many thought you couldnt' go out on deck during  hours of darkness.  Only deck 3 was actually closed. You could go out on deck 10 - where the smokers were - it was pitch black and I got a fantastic view. 

Daily Program

The programme is apparently set and produced by head office.  You know the same people who do the website?  They must be in charge of this. The format changed for  our 2nd cruise 22. That was fine - except it was unreadable in poor lighting conditions. The font was wrong and information which people cared about e.g. the lecturers was now really hard to find. A fantastic talk about Japan given by a Japanese native with fluent English was barely advertised and never put the on the TV channel. I don't recall if the lecturers were broadcast pre C . On 1st22 - it was entirely random what was broadcast - and sometimes the same were on for days- while others were never shown.  This was more consistent during 2nd 22 - but you still had no idea if a particularly lecturer would be replayed or not. 

I'm dyslexic and can't spell to save myself (thank you spell check) - but even I could pick up obvious typos in the new look programme. Including one day having the dress code as formal when we'd had a formal the day before. And getting the time change wrong ie the clocks will go forward at 1am with yesterday's date. The time changed were confusing enough without adding to it.  Also one day a bunch of us showed up for sequence dancing at 4pm  in the queens room to find the place set up for an art's lecture. Thinking  I'd mis read we went to the yacht club - only other possible venue- nope that had something on too. 

My Voyager App

1st 22 about 1/2 the time I could view  my daily account. 2nd 22 - they had added functionality that worked (shore excursion booking) and some that didn't ( sometimes the daily programme was there sometimes it wasn't.  They still can't display the time that you bought a 24 hour internet package in the app (it appears to be GMT?)  However in the 2nd 22 cruise they also had a list of mostly useful free website including the Singapore and Indonesia arrival forms sites. 

Internet and TV

TV barely functioned on the 1st 22 cruise particularly across the Atlantic.  Internet didn't work at all - I think everyone who bought access got it refunded without question if the asked at the purser's desk.  Both had hugely improved in 2nd 22 cruise. The internet was functionally the whole way -a bit slow in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Ditto the TV and they even managed to show a lot of the  Rugby world cup and a the T20 cricket. 

Dining and Food

Pre-C late dining with a fantastic group of around 6/8 of us on a 10 seater table. Excellent service 

1st 22 - had  requested a large table for late dining - got given early dining.  Had to wait for a few days to get a change to late dining (not sure why because with limited numbers on board there was no lack of space). Ended up with a table  for 2 right next to (cm away from) 2 other tables.  This was concerned as by then we were wearing masks - and even after the choir and laundries were closed down the tables were still nowhere close to 1m apart - again there was no reason for this there were lots and lots of empty tables. 

2nd 22 was the first cruise with optional open dining. We dined on fixed late most of the time - had a fantastic table of 8 (one couple missing after 1 night) and competent food waiters. The wine waiter was useless and rarely refilled a glass - seemed over stretched.  The optional open dining meant that we had the chance to meet up with others that we'd met on SM by booking a table in open dining. I think this is a very nice feature and hope they retain it. Those who went open dining only found that it was hit and miss  with dining companions. My pick is that sociable people request fixed dining, so it tends to end up with a more engaged table. 

They now have a drinks menu in the Lido in the evenings - I hadn't seen this before - I think it's new.  The Pub now does an evening meal 6-8:30 - which is a nice alternative - different menu from the lunch time one.  

State of the ship

Pretty good - there were a few flooding problems in the shops area on the 1st 22 cruise - those seemed resolved by the 2nd. Both cruises had a lot of very hot weather -  during the 1st cruise several floors of balconies (I think it 6 through  8 got very hot in the pm where outside it was over 30C . The Lido got stuffy, and the Garden Lounge was uncomfortably hot from the afternoon on. They had improved a lot of this in the 2nd cruse - where it was equally hot.  On 1st 22 the Queens room was freezing most of  the evenings - this seemed to have been fixed by our 2nd cruise. 

Our inside room on deck 1 never varied by a degree - we set the temp on the first day and never touched it again. If you want a balcony you should probably consider the principals of POSH when picking which side of the ship for your itinerary. 

Dress Code Slipping Standards etc 

Our pre-C cruise was the first season to have jackets optional for men on smart-casual nights. This is now standard.   Pre-c I saw someone in the Commodore Club politely refused service as he had shorts on and it had gone 6pm. This year I saw people served wearing shorts (both sexes), T-shirts (men) in Commodore Club, Queens Room, and also allowed into the Theatre.   On our  1st 22 cruise the crew had to enforce mask wearing for most of the cruise after the first few days.  After Florida they had to insist on it as a bunch of new  guests though the epidemic was over. One the 2nd cruise we were told in advance we had to wear masks for the first 7 days - later extended a few extra days - again the crew had to argue with people who were in denial.  I think if management told them to fight about shorts and shirts they would literally walk of the jobs. As it was, there were persistent rumours with some supporting observation of the cruise turning around after leaving Oman to deposit one female with luggage (not ill) back to the port.  And 2 others were rumoured to be detained pending forceable removal in Singapore. 

Future Cruise bookings 

The current offer is great  - don't know if its permanent - $300pp (and the $ is your currency so NZ$ for us) - up to US$400 pp OBC depending on length of cruise and class - but we got $325 pp for an inside cabin.  Fully refundable deposits up until 120 days prior to sailing - confirmed in writing 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for this. What a momentous trip. It must feel weird but wonderful finally being home again. As you don’t mention it, I assume all the admin for boarding ships and entering countries went fairly smoothly.

So, two questions:

Would you do such a long trip again?

and 

Would you do Cunard again?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Thank you for this. What a momentous trip. It must feel weird but wonderful finally being home again. As you don’t mention it, I assume all the admin for boarding ships and entering countries went fairly smoothly.

So, two questions:

Would you do such a long trip again?

and 

Would you do Cunard again?

Excellent questions. 

I didn't want to come home until a few days ago.  My partner was quite keen to get home. We got back yesterday afternoon -  slept off the jetlag last night. Today we had to run around replacing a car,  getting a rental car, picking up prescriptions, shopping and washing. I am very happy to have my own washing machine again - which is so much faster than the front loaders of Cunard and Europe!  I'll start  the next trip planning next week I should think.  

For the 1st cruise this year I did what I was told - printed out all the documents. Boarding in SF was a debacle - we arrived over an hour late as we knew on  our pre-C cruise everyone got the same time. Even though we did that, plus not a huge number got on in SF - the line was out the door and not moving. This was  partly US offiicals fault - partly Cunards for giving people all the same time. 

2nd cruise in Barcelona - as  we'd arrived there we knew it was a huge terminal. As we were travelling we had no ability to print anything out. I had the vaccine certificate at our test on paper - everything else was on my phone. The check in needed none of it - just my name - just like a plane !  Didn't bother uploading a photo as we knew from SF that the staff have to re-do it anyways (the systems don't communicate...) 

I've done longer trips - years ago - not cruising just  travelling. My partner wants a shorter trip next - but we are both happy to have missed winter - so the point is under debate. 

Maybe re Cunard. I wouldn't do a trans-Atlantic - I've done 7 days and 8 days of sea days in a row this year - that's enough -  4 days in a row is long enough for me.   I pick cruises on itineraries - Im looking at Greenland/Iceland and Cunard doesn't do that so that maybe HAL.  

We've booked a couple of Japan  cruises in Mar 24 - Syd-Tokyo - then 9 days on our own and then a loop around southern islands and Taiwan. I'd say 50/50 chance that we will actually do those.   

At this point  we  know exactly what the  shows and food will be (the shows haven't changed since pre-C - do they ever change?) The food is great - but is now repetitive for us now 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lissie said:

Excellent questions. 

I didn't want to come home until a few days ago.  My partner was quite keen to get home. We got back yesterday afternoon -  slept off the jetlag last night. Today we had to run around replacing a car,  getting a rental car, picking up prescriptions, shopping and washing. I am very happy to have my own washing machine again - which is so much faster than the front loaders of Cunard and Europe!  I'll start  the next trip planning next week I should think.  

For the 1st cruise this year I did what I was told - printed out all the documents. Boarding in SF was a debacle - we arrived over an hour late as we knew on  our pre-C cruise everyone got the same time. Even though we did that, plus not a huge number got on in SF - the line was out the door and not moving. This was  partly US offiicals fault - partly Cunards for giving people all the same time. 

2nd cruise in Barcelona - as  we'd arrived there we knew it was a huge terminal. As we were travelling we had no ability to print anything out. I had the vaccine certificate at our test on paper - everything else was on my phone. The check in needed none of it - just my name - just like a plane !  Didn't bother uploading a photo as we knew from SF that the staff have to re-do it anyways (the systems don't communicate...) 

I've done longer trips - years ago - not cruising just  travelling. My partner wants a shorter trip next - but we are both happy to have missed winter - so the point is under debate. 

Maybe re Cunard. I wouldn't do a trans-Atlantic - I've done 7 days and 8 days of sea days in a row this year - that's enough -  4 days in a row is long enough for me.   I pick cruises on itineraries - Im looking at Greenland/Iceland and Cunard doesn't do that so that maybe HAL.  

We've booked a couple of Japan  cruises in Mar 24 - Syd-Tokyo - then 9 days on our own and then a loop around southern islands and Taiwan. I'd say 50/50 chance that we will actually do those.   

At this point  we  know exactly what the  shows and food will be (the shows haven't changed since pre-C - do they ever change?) The food is great - but is now repetitive for us now 

Well, despite having been on many Cunard voyages, I must be the only passenger who has never seen Appassionata. On the other hand I don’t go to many shows - nearly always too loud for me. But I would happily see Top Hat again.

After a few months off, the food may seem less repetitive.

And now you can enjoy a few weeks languishing, as spring approaches. 

Just one more question, if you had to pick one of the places you visited to return to, where would it be?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, despite having been on many Cunard voyages, I must be the only passenger who has never seen Appassionata. On the other hand I don’t go to many shows - nearly always too loud for me. But I would happily see Top Hat again.

After a few months off, the food may seem less repetitive.

And now you can enjoy a few weeks languishing, as spring approaches. 

Just one more question, if you had to pick one of the places you visited to return to, where would it be?

What's Appassionata ? 

Not heard of that . The standard shows were Be our Guest,  Palladium Nights,  Top Hat (went to that one 2 or maybe 3x). The thing is they went through the same shows 3x on the first cruise and 1x on the 2nd so it was definitely getting repetative. 

Return visit - Maderia and Azores - always loved Portugal and the islands were gorgeous. Oh and Mallorca - not what I expected at all. Oh and Crete . I hardly ever repeat locations because so there is so much I haven't  seen but Crete is probably going to return in a year or so 

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Dress Code Slipping Standards etc 

Our pre-C cruise was the first season to have jackets optional for men on smart-casual nights. This is now standard.   Pre-c I saw someone in the Commodore Club politely refused service as he had shorts on and it had gone 6pm. This year I saw people served wearing shorts (both sexes), T-shirts (men) in Commodore Club, Queens Room, and also allowed into the Theatre.   

As was predictable, the moment you lower the standard by the rules, there are those you go even lower.

And: So much for what they tell their customers and what they do: In early October, I was told management would be aware of the problem and they would make sure that staff in all areas enforces the dress code..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lissie said:

I noticed fewer and fewer dancers making use of the Queens Room. I have a distinct feeling that cunard is looking for an excuse to repurpose this space. 

The Entertainment director and team were there every night pre-C cruise. On the 1st 22 cruise they were there when they were allowed to be - once the laundries are shut for Covid clearly they were told not to expose themselves to passengers. The (solo) pro dancer also showed up often.  The 2nd cruise (with far fewer covid cases and restrictions) - the entertainment director was never seen and I don't think I saw any of her team either. It was clear that the ballroom wasn't important to them. Sad. 

While there were many more dancers on my Sept/Oct cruise than there were on some cruises in the past, I sahre your impression " that cunard is looking for an excuse to repurpose this space." 

Actually as you described they already use it for other purposes.

This is what the Entertainment director wants. Questioning this use as well as the strange, inconsistent and unreliabel use of the Commodore Club I was told that this is "what Sally wants". 

She obviously does not care about the opinions of passengers / customers / guests. When I had an issue on a previous cruise, guest service said quite frankly "She does not talk to passengers.", a written question remained unreplied.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

As was predictable, the moment you lower the standard by the rules, there are those you go even lower.

And: So much for what they tell their customers and what they do: In early October, I was told management would be aware of the problem and they would make sure that staff in all areas enforces the dress code..

To clarify - they had to and did enforce masking policy for the majority of our days at sea.  That is far more important than what someone wears in a bar. 

What  they may have to look at is enforcing a  no talking on your device rule. I had no choice but to listen to an older woman berating her poor travel agent for 20 minutes on speaker phone!  This is normally not a problem because your chance of keeping a call is usually minimal - but the connection has improved so maybe they need to make formal what should be bloody obvious 

• Like 4

Thank you, Lissie for sharing your experiences.  It sounds a little depressing that Cunard seems to be losing their way a bit.  I hope it is temporary and gets back to "normal".  We haven't been on a Cunard cruise since 2019 that sailed from Japan to Vancouver, but have one scheduled on QE next October.  

• Like 2

Disappointing to hear the dress code is eroding. Putting on the Ritz is one of the things that makes Cunard special. Is it really asking too much to ask guys to put on a jacket and long pants for dinner?

What next, waterslides and go-carts?

• Like 2

I suspect you have just hit the nail on the proverbial head.  Yes, there may well be a new breed of passengers who may well also want to disco in the Queen's Room all evening if their kids are not too little, and buy a never-ending stream of expensive drinks, and make the managers happy that the space is being used at maximum, and make sure that the cost-centre of the ballroom is finally making money. Revenues will pour in and Cunard will become extremely profitable.  It won't matter what they wear if they are pouring money into the coffers. Equally they may be encouraged to go and play the tables in the Casino at the end of the evening, instead of the hardy few who you see at the slot machines late at night. If so then the pleasures of the Cunard cruise that make it the reason we go with this line will have vanished, so we won't then book to join them.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo

On that QV cruise how many evenings were there when a non-ballroom musical group or Duo were playing sets? How many evenings were music or other sessions arranged in the Queen's Room where chairs were placed over perhaps half the dance floor to deal with the extra crowds coming in to listen? Certainly that happened on QM2 on two voyages this summer.

My first five voyages were on Cunard Queens, the QM2 and Victoria, as you know mostly British and German passengers, so I thought dressing well - at all times - was expected. I was unpleasantly surprised  on my first non-Cunard, American-dominate cruise: Alaska on the Emerald Princess. Wonderful ship, delightful staff, superb food, terrific entertainment; but I discovered my fellow Americans think a cruise is for letting go, of manners, of civility, of dress. My shipboard wardrobe, which would have been unremarkable on a Cunard Queen, drew stares and sometimes disdainful looks, a few compliments. And I felt quite uncomfortable at dinner wearing a well-tailored pinstriped navy suit and silk tie while seated next to folks in shorts, tee-shirts and sweatpants.  

Edited by Brummel
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

On that QV cruise how many evenings were there when a non-ballroom musical group or Duo were playing sets? How many evenings were music or other sessions arranged in the Queen's Room where chairs were placed over perhaps half the dance floor to deal with the extra crowds coming in to listen? Certainly that happened on QM2 on two voyages this summer.

No idea as I didn't forensically make a note.

Definitely at least one evening of the Irish  duo and yes, chairs on the dance floor but my over riding impression is of dancing, and ball room dancing at that.

What I was pleased to see, was the room being used by many people and not just the few. Enjoyment for all.

2 hours ago, Brummel said:

My first five voyages were on Cunard Queens, the QM2 and Victoria, as you know mostly British and German passengers, so I thought dressing well - at all times - was expected. I was unpleasantly surprised  on my first non-Cunard, American-dominate cruise: Alaska on the Emerald Princess. Wonderful ship, delightful staff, superb food, terrific entertainment; but I discovered my fellow Americans think a cruise is for letting go, of manners, of civility, of dress. My shipboard wardrobe, which would have been unremarkable on a Cunard Queen, drew stares and sometimes disdainful looks, a few compliments. And I felt quite uncomfortable at dinner wearing a well-tailored pinstriped navy suit and silk tie while seated next to folks in shorts, tee-shirts and sweatpants.  

Don't cruise to Australia then LOL! 

I think the dress code strongly reflects the passenger mix. Voyages that are mainly UK and European - and more importantly where not everyone has had to fly in with a maximum of 23kg of luggage - are more formal.  Also its always more formal in cooler climates - even the British  eventually  got  rid of the tpo hat and tails and invented the safari suit in  India and Africa! 

The most important dress code all the cruises I did was  wearing a mask - I think it was right that staff focussed on that enforcement area (and they did). I see that this a requirement for the next cruise starting in Australia - so I doubt this requirement is going away for this summer in Au/NZ anytime soon. Hence the summer will be quite casual. 

I;d love to get my man a "well tailored pinstriped navy suite" - in fact we spent some time trying to find something that would at least fit him (he'd lost weight) in Barcelona before  our second cruise this year. Absolutely nothing for a size 50 man could we find, in any colour or price point. 

1 hour ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Perhaps other ballroom dancers will comment separately about that. It is not often you see large numbers of people in the library in general, so perhaps there could be concerts arranged there too to bring up the numbers enjoying that room and get utilisation up?

Well I would point out that the dance  classes were absolutely packed - all the tables were pushed back so people could dance on the carpet. There was no shortage of interest - there just was no danceable music at  the right time of day.  The recorded music at 6pm where a couple of us were effectively doing a floor show scared beginners off - I saw them come, look and move on. Plus of course 50% of the pax were at early dinner 

2 hours ago, Brummel said:

Disappointing to hear the dress code is eroding. Putting on the Ritz is one of the things that makes Cunard special. Is it really asking too much to ask guys to put on a jacket and long pants for dinner?

What next, waterslides and go-carts?

How much luggage do you take on board? I am fine with long skirts (I don't wear stockings), but my partner needed to take on formal shoes, plus a 2nd jacket (on top of his dark suit) - would have made the weight limit very difficult - those things are bulky and heavy.    For women its pretty easy to dress to whatever standard - but the dress code is really about men - and their clothing is expensive, hot and heavy - none of which will find favour in some countries. I can't think of any circumstance that a man would wear a sports jacket in Australia outside of the most formal clubs in Sydney or Melbourne, and Melboune Cup Day (a big horse race),and maybe (but probably not ) a wedding. 

4 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

The ship is air conditioned even in hot countries - so the temperature on board is pleasant and allows dressing up irrespective of whether you are in Iceland or Australia. So no reason to dilute the formal attire as far as I can see.

Devil's advocate here, there are areas of a ship [QM2 and QV in my experience] where the air con can't cope.

Even pre Covid, diners were allowed and on QV, encouraged to remove jackets  on rare occasions. Rare, but it happened.

The only time I have been aware of any issue with the internal air temperature on board is when staying an extended period and overnight in places such as northern Norway in winter, when the gangway doors remain open - and the outside air comes into the ship for an extended period. In this example it can get quite cold in areas near where the exit door is open to the outside.  However most of the time it is not an issue and certainly not an 'excuse' to dilute the dress code.  Anyone who wishes to not adhere to the dress code does so for other reasons.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Devil's advocate here, there are areas of a ship [QM2 and QV in my experience] where the air con can't cope.

Even pre Covid, diners were allowed and on QV, encouraged to remove jackets  on rare occasions. Rare, but it happened.

I’m sure this is right. But nonetheless, in general, I have found the ship cool inside rather than warm, and, for instance, am often glad of a cardy in the restaurant.