Does elegant night also extend to the specialty restaurants onboard?

tdbates

We depart on a 5-night cruise aboard the Sunshine next week and this will be our first cruise. We want to forgo the elegant night, so I booked a reservation for Cucina del Capitano for the second night of our cruise. I've since read that elegant night also extends to some of the specialty restaurants. Is this true? I'm really hoping to not have to bring fancy clothing!

14 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Yes.  All restaurants (excluding the Lido) have the cruise elegant dress code on cruise elegant night.  You do NOT need to bring "fancy" clothing, though.  Basically, just wear pants 🙂 

I'm a female so I'd likely have to bring a fancier dress than I'd prefer. Also bringing our 13 year old twin daughters and don't really want to bring fancy dresses for them either. 

37 minutes ago, tdbates said:

I'm a female so I'd likely have to bring a fancier dress than I'd prefer. Also bringing our 13 year old twin daughters and don't really want to bring fancy dresses for them either. 

No need.  Just a pair of slacks and a nicer top will do.  If you are going on a warm-weather cruise, a sundress will likely take up less space in your suitcase and will do as well.  You'll find that "cruise elegant" really isn't that elegant at all.

There is no "dress code" on elegant night. It's just a suggestion.

Yes, back in the day, people got all decked out. However, those days are a bygone era.

Today? 5% might be in tux and gown, 30% might be in suits/with tie and business attire, the rest will be dressed just like yesterday's evening meal.

1 hour ago, tdbates said:

Would you really though? If you DID want to dress fancy, there's no law saying women have to wear dresses. They make dress pants for a reason. I'm not saying you have to dress up either, but fancy dresses aren't the sole answer. Heck, I saw a guy in a kilt for elegant night. So while not a dress, he wasn't exactly wearing pants. 

Either way, I did dressy capris and a nicer than normal top for the 2nd elegant night. I did wear a dress the first night, but that's because I felt like it. However, like others have said, it's not super enforced at all. 

Thanks everyone! I'll just stick with our reservation and bring "nicer" sundresses for me and the girls. I don't mind dressing up a bit, but I don't want to have to purchase some cocktail dress I'll never wear again!