MDR Reservations, Solo Dining

Greygooser

Hey all-

Going on my first solo cruise later this month on the Getaway. I made several 5:30pm dining reservations for the different MDR's, just to switch it up each night. My question is, is that necessary? Looking at older threads, I see most people recommend MDR reservations, particularly for larger groups. Is it totally overkill for just me?

Also not that I plan on doing it, but would it be bad to not show up for a reservation at a complimentary dining venue? I guess there would be no penalty but seems like bad form if it holds up a table for 15 minutes till they release it to someone else waiting. If I ditch the reservations entirely this doesn't become an issue, obviously.

Finally, would it be unusual if I asked to have my entrée to go? No need to take a table up if it's not against the rules (I know they don't care if you get a plate at a buffet and go back to your room) Just trying to get a grasp on solo cruising in general and I'd prefer to get food from the MDR over the buffet. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Edited by Greygooser
grammar

HI,

As mentioned no need for MDR reservations.   Just give yourself the liberty of choosing when you want to dine at the MDR.  Don't block yourself into a schedule as you're on vacation!

Also, enjoy the ambiance of the dining room by eating there.  I go solo all the time and enjoy going to there and sitting at the table and dining well with service as well as watching the other people.

I don't think they permit takeout....that's not the purpose of the MDR.  Bottom line don't be afraid to sit alone.

Take care and enjoy your cruise.

happytotravel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

If you plan on going to the solo gatherings, they usually do a group dinner in one of the MDR if that would interest you.  Could be something different for one or more of the nights

I agree.  They have solo gatherings every night around 5:30.  Anyone that wants to can go to dinner together.  So, eat alone, go with the group, or mix it up.  All is good.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I was just on the Sun as a solo traveler and the solo meetup was held at either 5:30 or 6 and the solo host would make a dinner reservation every other night for those interested. Otherwise there were groups of 8 or 10 who would go off together to 1 of the main dining rooms. I dined by myself one night and was not a problem at all. Walked in and immediately seated by a window. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greygooser said:

Hey all-

Going on my first solo cruise later this month on the Getaway. I made several 5:30pm dining reservations for the different MDR's, just to switch it up each night. My question is, is that necessary? Looking at older threads, I see most people recommend MDR reservations, particularly for larger groups. Is it totally overkill for just me?

Also not that I plan on doing it, but would it be bad to not show up for a reservation at a complimentary dining venue? I guess there would be no penalty but seems like bad form if it holds up a table for 15 minutes till they release it to someone else waiting. If I ditch the reservations entirely this doesn't become an issue, obviously.

Finally, would it be unusual if I asked to have my entrée to go? No need to take a table up if it's not against the rules (I know they don't care if you get a plate at a buffet and go back to your room) Just trying to get a grasp on solo cruising in general and I'd prefer to get food from the MDR over the buffet. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Thanks for your great question. It was a good thread with lots of helpful information. I had been a bit uptight about dining times in MDR and now I’m much more at ease knowing that I can go with the flow. Only 78 more days …

23 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Thanks for your great question. It was a good thread with lots of helpful information. I had been a bit uptight about dining times in MDR and now I’m much more at ease knowing that I can go with the flow. Only 78 more days …

I just wanted to mention that I am also a solo traveler, and after I eat in the dining room the first night, I ask if I can take out the next time. They always say yes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SusanLINY said:

I just wanted to mention that I am also a solo traveler, and after I eat in the dining room the first night, I ask if I can take out the next time. They always say yes.

This is a great insight. Thanks! Do they seat you if you do take out?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:26 PM, casofilia said:

I fully agree with @shof515 and would add that the Main DINING Room is there for a purpose so people can DINE in it not to act as a personal mini buffet.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:26 PM, happytotravel said:

Also, enjoy the ambiance of the dining room by eating there.  I go solo all the time and enjoy going to there and sitting at the table and dining well with service as well as watching the other people.

I don't think they permit takeout....that's not the purpose of the MDR.  Bottom line don't be afraid to sit alone.

When I was single I enjoyed going to restaurants and eating alone. I always had my phone as company. On NCL, I could sometimes rely on updating the NY Times so I could read it (for some reason the NY Times doesn't always update, even though I can watch videos on other platforms). Now that I'm married I don't dine out, though sometimes I miss being able to go and enjoy my alone time, with no one else.

Having said that, why on earth would it be an issue for someone to show up, order food, and then take it to go? Who cares what they do. It's not like NCL is fine dining. Also, buffet food so does not equal main dining room food. Pig slop can't be compared to food. 

18 hours ago, SusanLINY said:

I'm so glad you confirmed that the main dining room will allow you to take food out. I mean, why wouldn't they? In March, just to test for myself, I'm going to do exactly this. I'll then enjoy my food on my balcony, enjoying the silence, and most importantly, away from other people who feel as if the main dining room is on par with the buffet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

When I was single I enjoyed going to restaurants and eating alone. I always had my phone as company. On NCL, I could sometimes rely on updating the NY Times so I could read it (for some reason the NY Times doesn't always update, even though I can watch videos on other platforms). Now that I'm married I don't dine out, though sometimes I miss being able to go and enjoy my alone time, with no one else.

Having said that, why on earth would it be an issue for someone to show up, order food, and then take it to go? Who cares what they do. It's not like NCL is fine dining. Also, buffet food so does not equal main dining room food. Pig slop can't be compared to food. 

I'm so glad you confirmed that the main dining room will allow you to take food out. I mean, why wouldn't they? In March, just to test for myself, I'm going to do exactly this. I'll then enjoy my food on my balcony, enjoying the silence, and most importantly, away from other people who feel as if the main dining room is on par with the buffet. 

I’ve seen the same exact food in the buffet and MDR, I just prefer to be served while sitting with my family. I don’t recall ever seeing someone take food out of the MDR, it’s not allowed at the 24 hour restaurant.

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve seen the same exact food in the buffet and MDR, I just prefer to be served while sitting with my family. I don’t recall ever seeing someone take food out of the MDR, it’s not allowed at the 24 hour restaurant.

I don't know if they have officially changed the rules for The local/O'Shehans, but I didn't have to sneak away with my late night food on my trip a few weeks ago.  I walked past workers and no one said anything.  I even saw them wrap up a guy's food to go.  He was upset over something so they may have done it to have him leave 

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

it depends. when i was on the joy last month,only a few days did the MDR and buffet match. other times they had a different menu

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I’ll report back when I try it on the Getaway in a few weeks. I like the idea of having a salad/appetizer at the dining room, then enjoying the entree back on my balcony. We’ll see though, I may end up just enjoying my meal in the DR reading a book or catching up on emails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Greygooser said:

I’ll report back when I try it on the Getaway in a few weeks. I like the idea of having a salad/appetizer at the dining room, then enjoying the entree back on my balcony. We’ll see though, I may end up just enjoying my meal in the DR reading a book or catching up on emails.

I would not mind eating my meal and taking the desert to go….I do it when I go to restaurants (obviously no ice cream) to eat later in the night. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2022 at 5:23 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

This is a great insight. Thanks! Do they seat you if you do take out?

I do this all as quietly as possible, so I just say to the hostess that I am exhausted and was wondering if I could take dinner back to my room. No one has ever said no. Sometimes they seat me off to the side to wait. I also tip in cash the person who organizes it for me. I've asked both waiters and hosts at varying times, I go with who looks the least busy and most sympathetic. 🙂

A lot of the time I usually just eat in the dining room early, alone, and then around 9pm I get ice cream and cobbler in the Garden restaurant to take back to eat in bed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Hi @Greygooser, or anyone, did you notice any differences among the various MDRs?  Is there any reason to choose one over the others?  Thanks

the menu is exactly the same in each.  Sometimes, there maybe some type of entertainment going in in one.  For example, the burn the floor dancers may put on a teaser show in one of the MDRs during dinner

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, Greygooser said:

I made several 5:30pm dining reservations for the different MDR's, just to switch it up each night. My question is, is that necessary?

As others have stated, MDR reservations aren't necessary.  They're helpful if you have a larger group, but for 1-4 people, they're ready to accommodate.  Same for the secondary free venues, like Taste and Savor.

Despite no need to do so, if you DO make a reservation it's poor form to skip it.  Who knows?  There may be a line out the door and there's an empty table being held for someone who won't show.

I've never tried this in MDR but on my last cruise, a friend was sick on the last night.  His husband and I went to Cagney's without him but they agreed to make him a plate to go.  I was surprised they did but it was a very nice gesture.  Not sure if that's standard procedure or not.

6 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Hi @Greygooser, or anyone, did you notice any differences among the various MDRs?  Is there any reason to choose one over the others?  Thanks

I didn't notice any difference. The Tropicana Room is a little more formal and has music, but the menus are the same. I only ended up eating the the MDR's a few times for dinner, because I really enjoyed the complimentary noodle bar and ended up eating there at least 3 times for dinner. I never ended up taking any food out of the MDR, but when I used my specialty dining credits I asked for my dessert to go. Both times they delivered it down to my stateroom.

• Thanks 1