Butler Service

burnsva

I’m on the QV now, and our incredibly friendly butler has so far brought us some oranges slices for the supplied bar on request, and when we ordered room service yesterday, she brought in the breakfast set up the table with a cloth, napkins etc beautifully.

We haven’t felt the need to ask for anything more; but she was very proactive in talking through the bar set-up arrangements and so on; and I got the impression nothing would have been any trouble! She’s been so pleasant when we greet each other in the corridor.

27B49809-C44D-405F-84B0-5D5F6F6E147F.jpeg

• Like 3

We've sailed Queens a couple of times.  Not impressed with the butler service.  Way over-sold.  Just a dressed-up room attendant.  The bottom dropped out on the disembarkation day when the butler banged on our door, barged in at 7:45 and told us we had to be out by 8:00.  Not White Star Service.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tv24 said:

We've sailed Queens a couple of times.  Not impressed with the butler service.  Way over-sold.  Just a dressed-up room attendant.  The bottom dropped out on the disembarkation day when the butler banged on our door, barged in at 7:45 and told us we had to be out by 8:00.  Not White Star Service.

And did you have to be out by 8?

21 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Not having the benefit of a butler at home  and our only experience pre Cunard being an occasional butler in some of the hotels we stay in, I'm not really au fait with butler duties but whilst I agree with the  idea of a smartly dressed attendant, I would say the butler's role on Cunard is to make you feel at home and anything they can do to make life just that little bit special, they will try and undertake, 

It seems to me judging by some comments which are made on this board, there must be  perfunctory butlers and then  those who truly care about their passengers.

Luckily, we experience the latter and have been very well looked after.

Edited by Victoria2

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

It seems to me judging by some comments which are made on this board, there must be  perfunctory butlers and then  those who truly care about their passengers.

I would agree based on comments here and my own experience - I had a very perfunctory butler earlier this year on QM2, and at the time chalked it up to it being only a two-night. My experience this time around is chalk and cheese.

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

And did you have to be out by 8?

Yes, we did and we were fully prepared to be obedient.  Just did not appreciate anyone barging in and insisting that we leave.  It was obvious that he wanted us out as soon as possible so that he could clean the room.

2 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Yes, we did and we were fully prepared to be obedient.  Just did not appreciate anyone barging in and insisting that we leave.  It was obvious that he wanted us out as soon as possible so that he could clean the room.

But he might have thought you would not have known otherwise. In fact we’re it I, I might have been peeved he didn’t come in and wake me earlier. They have a lot to do on embarkation day, and not much time to do it before the next lot of passengers appear, eager to get into their cabin.

2 hours ago, Jonem2001 said:

I would agree based on comments here and my own experience - I had a very perfunctory butler earlier this year on QM2, and at the time chalked it up to it being only a two-night. My experience this time around is chalk and cheese.

We've only done one shortie [5 nights] and don't recall any lack of service. I do know though, through many conversations over the years, the staff  find the short/er cruises more of a challenge. That of course doesn't excuse lacklustre service, but it might go someway to explain any anomalies in service on the very short shorties.

Edited by Victoria2