Mariner discount on surcharge items?

Bad1987

• 2 weeks later...

@POA1 @happyglobetrotter

I have the following response from Special Advisor, Office of the President:

“We are disheartened to hear that your discount was not applied correctly to your Pinnacle Grill dinner. The Mariner Society Rewards Program is intended to offer our repeat travelers a variety of incentives and perks, such as discounts on cruises and merchandise, complimentary gifts and services, and special onboard amenities. We feel a deep appreciation for our valued Mariners, and utilized input from our guests in designing our rewards program to provide unique, useful benefits. We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and your comments will be forwarded to our Mariner Society for their consideration.

In light of your experience, we have issued you $50 Future Cruise Credit. This credit is associated with your Mainer Account for future use.”

(Emphasis added, 7/15/24)

The savings I was entitled to was about $17, so I feel this is fair, so long as they allow me to apply it to an upcoming already deposited cruise (refundable, outside final payment).

In follow up to the Special Advisor, I have inquired what steps they have or intend to take to see that Food and Beverage and Guest Services managers are made aware of the proper handling of Mariner Discount for surcharge purchases in the relevant specialty restaurants. I will advise when I hear back. 

Michael

San Diego, CA

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

In follow up to the Special Advisor, I have inquired what steps they have or intend to take to see that Food and Beverage and Guest Services managers are made aware of the proper handling of Mariner Discount for surcharge purchases in the relevant specialty restaurants. I will advise when I hear back. 

@SeaMatesNYCThank you so much for pursuing this issue, Michael!!  It will benefit many of us Mariners who order upcharge items in the specialty restaurants!  Now, we just wait for HAL to offer all services in a consistent manner across the fleet!

~Nancy

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

@SeaMatesNYCThank you so much for pursuing this issue, Michael!!  It will benefit many of us Mariners who order upcharge items in the specialty restaurants!  Now, we just wait for HAL to offer all services in a consistent manner across the fleet!

~Nancy

Yes, I do hope they follow through and make a consistent advisory for all staff. I will let you know when/if I hear back with a clarification of the next steps from the Special Advisor. I suggest that everyone contemplating surcharge orders and seeking the discount, confirm in advance with your waitstaff and Pinnacle manager and perhaps follow through with Guest Services onboard referencing a July 15 2024 communication to Michael D. from Special Advisor Drew Monson if you are denied the discount (and either order the item, or not).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Yes, I do hope they follow through and make a consistent advisory for all staff. I will let you know when/if I hear back with a clarification of the next steps from the Special Advisor. I suggest that everyone contemplating surcharge orders and seeking the discount, confirm in advance with your waitstaff and Pinnacle manager and perhaps follow through with Guest Services onboard referencing a July 15 2024 communication to Michael D. from Special Advisor Drew Monson if you are denied the discount (and either order the item, or not).

Perhaps if you were to post a redacted copy of your original email to HAL, we could print off the question and the answer from Drew Monson and present it onboard if there are ongoing difficulties.  Without viewing the question as asked, the answer is quite ambiguous and there may not be time for staff to confirm the situation with head office before the completion of a cruise.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Perhaps if you were to post a redacted copy of your original email to HAL, we could print off the question and the answer from Drew Monson and present it onboard if there are ongoing difficulties.  Without viewing the question as asked, the answer is quite ambiguous and there may not be time for staff to confirm the situation with head office before the completion of a cruise.  Just a thought.

Here's the best I can do @VMax1700

MarinerdiscountProblemRedact.thumb.jpg.d2684c9c4761a7f9073457dbf2b73ca8.jpgMarinerDiscountResponseRedact.thumb.jpg.3a9c7e269f80412b7eabe34d6fea06a4.jpg

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Here's the best I can do

That is perfect!  Thank you!

It provides us with 'Exhibit A' in case of a dispute 😁

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

That is perfect!  Thank you!

It provides us with 'Exhibit A' in case of a dispute 😁

I do hope Mr Monson was sure of his position. I’m just waiting for the blowback from my having given you all these “exhibits.”  I can imagine the consternation in the C-suite if they wanted this matter kept on the QT.  But heck, this really was never about $17.50 but rather fair disclosure. If they choose to tighten up the benefit language, so be it. That is the substance, I believe, of what Monson says has been referred to the Mariner Society for their consideration. 

3 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

I do hope Mr Monson was sure of his position. I’m just waiting for the blowback from my having given you all these “exhibits.”  I can imagine the consternation in the C-suite if they wanted this matter kept on the QT.  But heck, this really was never about $17.50 but rather fair disclosure. If they choose to tighten up the benefit language, so be it. That is the substance, I believe, of what Monson says has been referred to the Mariner Society for their consideration. 

Absolutely!  The language leads to the confusion.  As you say, if they tighten up, then so be it.  It is their language which is leading to the ambiguous interpretations.  Needless to say that each side will interpret to their advantage!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

I am sure Mr. Monson just wanted to make you go away.  HAL has not changed their policy.  I have over 280 actual cruise days with this company, I eat in the specialty restaurants at least twice a week and I have never seen anyone receive a discount for items that have a supplemental charge, the discount is only for the Surcharge for the meal.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

I am sure Mr. Monson just wanted to make you go away.  HAL has not changed their policy.  I have over 280 actual cruise days with this company, I eat in the specialty restaurants at least twice a week and I have never seen anyone receive a discount for items that have a supplemental charge, the discount is only for the Surcharge for the meal.

You’ve just seen me receive it, albeit after the fact and not in the form of cash in my pocket, although I proceeded to apply the FCC to my next cruise already booked. You are quite possibly right as to his motives. If that’s the case, his lack of consideration in the language of his response will have created more problems than it resolved. In any case, Mr Monson will hear from me for the remainder of my sailing days each time I add surcharge food and don’t receive the discount, until they update the benefit description. I appreciate your perspective, but responding as he did on HAL letterhead speaks to the policy as he understands it, or at least purports to.  I’ll stand by that until I learn otherwise from HAL. 

• Like 3