Smaller ship high end cruise vs larger ship moderately priced cruise

stonesmith

35 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I find it interesting that individuals who have the capability to earn enough to enjoy a cruise are unable to deal with purchasing a drink.  I just don't get constant reference to "nickel and diming".  If I want something I buy it.  If I don't want something I don't buy it.   I just don't see that as a huge negative.  

It's not only drinks. Even menus in the (upcharge) specialty restaurants on some lines are now featuring ADDITIONAL upcharge items. That's an upcharge on an upcharge. At some point it just becomes unappetizing (pun intended).

One of the reasons I like to cruise is the relatively "pay once and done" nature of the trip. There is something relaxing about not having to think about every choice onboard in relation to cost. Or at least it is that way for me. I prefer not to run a constant tally in my head of how much I've already charged and how much my bill at the end will be.  As well, there is the potential for adminstrators to get things wrong (incorrect charges) -- so if you're charging several drinks a day plus specialty coffees plus dining, plus ....  there is a greater imperative to keep checking your account to ensure you address any corrections needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I find it interesting that individuals who have the capability to earn enough to enjoy a cruise are unable to deal with purchasing a drink.  I just don't get constant reference to "nickel and diming".  If I want something I buy it.  If I don't want something I don't buy it.   I just don't see that as a huge negative.  

I sat down for breakfast in the Zaandam dining room and tried to get my first cup of coffee. Instead, I had a man try to sell me cans of water. No, he could or would not get me a coffee. That is the kind of thing you avoid on more inclusive ships.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not only drinks. Even menus in the (upcharge) specialty restaurants on some lines are now featuring ADDITIONAL upcharge items. That's an upcharge on an upcharge. At some point it just becomes unappetizing (pun intended).

One of the reasons I like to cruise is the relatively "pay once and done" nature of the trip. There is something relaxing about not having to think about every choice onboard in relation to cost. Or at least it is that way for me. I prefer not to run a constant tally in my head of how much I've already charged and how much my bill at the end will be.  As well, there is the potential for adminstrators to get things wrong (incorrect charges) -- so if you're charging several drinks a day plus specialty coffees plus dining, plus ....  there is a greater imperative to keep checking your account to ensure you address any corrections needed.

I recently returned from a 4 night in Cancun. Cancun is one of the most notorious "AI" land vacations as travelers think they are getting everything for free. When in reality, most people are just overpaying as they don't realize Mexico has low cost of food and drink, and maybe a bit of fear for some scared to leave the resort. Either way "it's convenient," whether or not you want to scarf down a bunch of coffees and froo froo drinks. Most people who found out I didn't do an AI just couldn't believe the horror.

I didn't spend much more than $650 for the entire trip, if I even spent that much. I mean everything, flight, hotel, food, Coco Bongo, and drinks. Every corner has shops with beers for $1. Authentic tacos are also everywhere and around $5 for 3.

If you prefer one experience over another, there's nothing wrong with that. There comes a point where paying 2-3x more as some sort of money savings isn't really a savings, regardless of how you feel. My bills aren't paid or investments growing because I tricked my vacation into being a single payment. It's still about the money spent.

As much as I enjoy drinking, I've come to realize it is the center of thousands of dollars of bills, especially on vacation. Sure you can trick the system, trick your mind, trick whatever, but you're going to pay. Cocktails are the biggest profit in the food and drink business. Sure I enjoy some here and there. I don't need them all day, every day. I don't need to post pay or pre pay hundreds of thousands for them.  The sooner I realized that, the more relaxed I became.

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There comes a point where paying 2-3x more as some sort of money savings isn't really a savings, regardless of how you feel. My bills aren't paid or investments growing because I tricked my vacation into being a single payment. It's still about the money spent.

I really do agree with you. I look at the overall costs ahead of time and decide whether the inclusives are worth it to me or not. I certainly would not want to pay 2-3x more either. (Especially since, as a solo I am already paying 2x more!)

I should have been clearer. I was just explaining why "nickel and diming" is annoying and also why I might opt for the included "package" that covers certain things even if I might not QUITE break even in the end. I'm willing to pay a slight convenience fee to avoid the constant upselling. But certainly not 2-3x more.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

8 hours ago, whogo said:

I sat down for breakfast in the Zaandam dining room and tried to get my first cup of coffee. Instead, I had a man try to sell me cans of water. No, he could or would not get me a coffee. That is the kind of thing you avoid on more inclusive ships.

Those are good points and I can understand an individual preference to pay more for convenience.  As someone who doesn't drink a lot and who doesn't use specialty restnts very often, it just isn't a big deal to me.  Really it is just the opposite because I don't want my fare to include a lot of things I don't want.  Additionally, the new apps allow almost instantaneous review of any charges, so surprises shouldn't be an issue.  The hawking of canned water aside, what some call nickel and diming, I view as A la carte.  

On our last cruise I can happily report that I was never approached about my car's warranty!  lol.