Bar Harbor votes to limit cruisers

Twitchly

1 hour ago, Mariastreby said:

Kent,

That’s really cool! What are the chances? Then you are taking the southern crossing not long after as well, right?

Hi Maria . .   Actually, we are postponing our Southern Crossing until 2024/25 and moved it instead to the Lisbon-FtLauderdale Transatlantic in Dec - so that we can go tour around Portugal for a week or more ahead of time!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the Marine lab mentioned above closed some years age.

I'd just like to add a few random observations.

Having experienced Bar Harbor and Acadia both during high season summer, and shoulder season, late August, September (when most cruise ships call), I can assure you that the crowd level is ridiculous during both periods.

During our recent cruise call in September, the restaurants were overflowing, the shops full and the passengers loaded down with shopping bags on the returning tenders. 

The load in Acadia Park was similar, but remember, the cruise passengers use tours or excursions, so the traffic was a bit lighter than summer.

If the cruise tourists not spending money was a strong argument, that logic would apply to cruise ports elsewhere, particularly in the Caribbean. 

The main reason seems to come down to the permanent residents and very wealthy part-time residents that just want their quiet island back.

Edited by sippican
Not complete

Thanks for those observations, Sippican. As you said, it may not be about the money they actually might make But probably more akin to Key West, where they simply want the charm of their town to remain, and can deal with hotel guests who arrive by car, but not thousands of cruise passengers all at once. So it will remain to be seen if their rules change by the time the 2023 Sept/Oct fall cruise season rolls around. I hope they don’t from my own selfish standpoint, but I also understand if they do. 

• Like 3