Acceptable observed test providers (UK)

starquake

Hi fellow cruisers.

We live reasonably rural (100 mi from London), and no-wher elocal seems to do any in-person testing.

We've read the Cunard guidance, and are booked on a cruise requiring testing, and we're now one month out so it's time to book one.

We used QURED last time we travelled to US when that was required (ie, video consultation before leaving for airport).  We'd like to do so in the day immediately before we leave for Southampton and board.    Has anyone any experience happy or otherwise (recently) with providers similar to Qured who do video consultaion and who they can reccomend?

Price isn't a thing, we just want a test we can do (observed on video) before we drive the 240 miles to Southampton so the trip is not in vain!

We're very rural, nearest one is 60 ish mins drive away each way, with 0 parking within 15mins walk.  It's an option but given video observed tests are acceptable according to the website would prefer that if only as it means we don't need to do a large detour on way to Southampton.   We've also booked the train at noon so timings would be very problematic if we couldn't get a 9am appointment.  (we are driving to train station and leaving car at a friends house in that town!).   This is because we on the Cunard Xmas cruise, so returning to LHR which is 1.5 hours nearer home than Southampton!    I'm not discounting it as an option as it seems the "only" one avialable for in-person, but on-video seems considerably less hassle.     As said we used Qured several times once US flights were open, and it was a great solution, 15 min video call... job done.  I'm just hoping someone has done that and it's been accepted - it seems to be by terms with the video booking, as it's an acceptable to US/other international border test.?     

The summary being I'd prefer not to lose a morning to doing it, given we're that rural, the only local pharmacy is one ran by the actual doctors surgery that does not do covid tests (at all) apart from selling self-test kits.

Should add this is rural suffolk, which is in our area about equally populated to scottish highlands, hence total lack of facilities.    In context our local shop is also our butchers, bakers, etc etc.  It's lovely but totally makes things like observed in person testing a pain.    

2 minutes ago, starquake said:

We're very rural, nearest one is 60 ish mins drive away each way, with 0 parking within 15mins walk.  It's an option but given video observed tests are acceptable according to the website would prefer that if only as it means we don't need to do a large detour on way to Southampton.   We've also booked the train at noon so timings would be very problematic if we couldn't get a 9am appointment.  (we are driving to train station and leaving car at a friends house in that town!).   This is because we on the Cunard Xmas cruise, so returning to LHR which is 1.5 hours nearer home than Southampton!    I'm not discounting it as an option as it seems the "only" one avialable for in-person, but on-video seems considerably less hassle.     As said we used Qured several times once US flights were open, and it was a great solution, 15 min video call... job done.  I'm just hoping someone has done that and it's been accepted - it seems to be by terms with the video booking, as it's an acceptable to US/other international border test.?     

The summary being I'd prefer not to lose a morning to doing it, given we're that rural, the only local pharmacy is one ran by the actual doctors surgery that does not do covid tests (at all) apart from selling self-test kits.

Should add this is rural suffolk, which is in our area about equally populated to scottish highlands, hence total lack of facilities.    In context our local shop is also our butchers, bakers, etc etc.  It's lovely but totally makes things like observed in person testing a pain.    

I thought they did observed tests as well.

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/covid-19-testing

3 hours ago, starquake said:

We used QURED last time we travelled to US when that was required

Why not use Qured again? I see they do certified tests both in the UK and US. I wasn't familiar with them, but having glanced at their website, I think I may use them for our January voyage. Unless, that is, you don't recommend them.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Why not use Qured again? I see they do certified tests both in the UK and US. I wasn't familiar with them, but having glanced at their website, I think I may use them for our January voyage. Unless, that is, you don't recommend them.

It's not "quite" the same as it was back in March/April, so was just concerned about that hence the ask if someone else used, as they've updated the site and the service provided isn't quite the same as Jan-May time..   They use the standard (as used in NHS) single test antigen kits, exactly the same as some we got from NHS when they were free from them except obviously minus the NHS cannot be used for travel labelling.

I can't argue with the price/service (it was about £20 pp with a readily available discount code).   We can't argue, we've used before, 10 min video call, then results emailed ~ 2 hours later.   If you fail to follow instructions to letter (and some of the timings are VERY tight by design) you may want to order a "spare" however (you have to upload evidence in a 5 min window).  Thats only negative with it, as it's obviously like that to stop any tampering.

Prenetics as highlighted by a fellow poster was also the backup option but they were more expensive.   And as you point out given I'd already used qured in both UK and US (they were BA's preferred supplier) earlier in year, am quite familar with the process.     I can reccomend qured from BA's use, just "hoping" someone has confirmation they've used with Cunard to confirm they are happy with the cerification certificates.

9 minutes ago, starquake said:

I can reccomend qured from BA's use, just "hoping" someone has confirmation they've used with Cunard

If BA takes Qured's certificate, I'm fairly certain Cunard will as well. I've used two different test results, and both were accepted with hardly a glance. (I think the main thing they looked for was that test was identifiable as mine (name, DOB, etc.) Since Cunard is accepting Rapid Antigen tests, the standard is pretty low (Antigen tests aren't particularly sensitive/accurate).

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I thought they did observed tests as well.

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/covid-19-testing

Just checked and they don't seem to meet Cunards observed policy unless you visit the pharmacy ruling them out (the at home one is not observed during test unless I'm missing something, it just verifys the test afterwards, which certainally doesn't meet the travel test requirement).   It perfrectly is fine for the less-honourous cruises from Cunard though so will consider that (far cheaper) option for our Fjords booking (as that does NOT need an observed or in-person test), just needs a validated cert.     Remember Cunard has different requirements based on the cruise.    Nearest one is 1 hour away and not on route to the train station we booked to Southampton from!

That said the Lloyds option IS the only local test available that would meet a "performed in person" requirment if any cruise line reimplements such a policy, so will 100% bear in mind now, as it's a lot better than doing in-person at airport or port.   I really thank you for this suggestion as I definitely can see this being used for some of the more difficult test requirments we've ran into in the last year and could reoccur at some point.

45 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

If BA takes Qured's certificate, I'm fairly certain Cunard will as well. I've used two different test results, and both were accepted with hardly a glance. (I think the main thing they looked for was that test was identifiable as mine (name, DOB, etc.) Since Cunard is accepting Rapid Antigen tests, the standard is pretty low (Antigen tests aren't particularly sensitive/accurate).

Yeah, I agree.

That sounds a more through check than the airline (not BA in this case) done for us on last trip to US in fact... (side story, myself and wife had put our certs into Verifly so didn't need checking, but my 72 year old parents had not, and managed a trip into US past the border without showing their fully compliant  documentation at *any* point.     Still they got their once in a lifetime trip to Disney so all was well, and fully enjoyed it.   )   

1 hour ago, starquake said:

my 72 year old parents managed a trip into US past the border without showing their fully compliant  documentation at *any* point

That was BA's dropping the ball. When we flew into the UK in December (at the height of quarantining, contact tracing, etc.), we had to prove our vaccination and testing status only when boarding in the states. We never had to show any of that documentation again.