Snacks

Ellencruise

28 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

I am so confused about the issue of bringing soda on board. I have read the Holland FAQs that say absolutely no alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (soda, energy drinks, etc) may be brought onboard. The confusion rests with DH and I seeing passengers already on board at embarkation with cases and six-packs of soda with them. Most recently on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Oct., but also on the Rotterdam last Feb. and March. DH asked at embarkation in Oct. if we could bring soda on board with us and and he said yes. So, which is it???

The wording on their web site is confusing, I read it to mean no soda brought on board, but have seen people bring soda on board w/o anyone saying a word to them.  So which is it?  Wish HAL would make it consistent.

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

The wording on their web site is confusing, I read it to mean no soda brought on board, but have seen people bring soda on board w/o anyone saying a word to them.  So which is it?  Wish HAL would make it consistent.

Hal hasn’t introduced its right hand to its left.  The problem is that you never know when they are going to enforce it.  They say you can’t bring water on board yet someone on this board (not going to bust them 😛) took a picture of a crew member carrying on 2 big bottles of water if I remember correctly.  It was a fairly recent photo.  If it’s something hal doesn’t carry I’d be tempted to bring it on BUT you need to be prepared to lose it.  I’m not a pop drinker other than soda water so I won’t be doing it.

• Like 1

Since we have the SBP, we will not bring anything on.  But when we don't have the pkg, I'd like to.  Boarding Kdam in Vancouver, my son & his wife carried on a 24 pack of pop a few months ago.  That is what he said, "worth the risk of losing $10 worth of pop for the chance to have it on board."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wandrr said:

...As a diabetic, I ALWAYS carry a chewy bar. The wrapping is pretty solid, and it fits in my pocket at all times.

I have never found a chewy bar on board, though it bothers me as a cheapskate to bring my own food to a place brimming over with great food. Still, my pocket chewy bar has sometimes saved my life. Snacks can be essential....

I hear you! On one cruise, I can't recall which ship, they did have something that resembled a chewy bar put out each morning in the Explorations Cafe. Instead of a bar shape, they were more like the shape of a brownie, but the ingredients were like a chewy bar. I remember how tasty it was. Would be nice if that was consistently offered, especially for those who really need something like this on hand.

Edited by syesmar

Thank you to all responded to my confusion. DH and I are going on an 11-day Rotterdam cruise soon and will bring cans of Coke aboard for our cabin as we have ordered a bottle of rum for the cabin. Will see what happens.

I bring granola bars (good to have when in port and you need a quick bite), nuts, and small chocolate bars.  My husband is diabetic.  We recently sailed on Princess and asked for nuts with our drinks at a bar while listening to a singer. We were told they no longer have them avaailable since covid.  I also bring a few Crystal light lemonade packets that I use to mix with water in my water bottle.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, Sea42 said:

I don't think I would for a 7 or 14 day trip but on our longer vacations I do start to miss my go to treats from home and pick something up along the way. Unfortunately, Mountain Dew can be a challenge to find outside the US😔

I feel you with the Mt. Dew!! 🤪

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:04 AM, FlaMariner said:

BYO snacks are fine but we consider the lido deck our personal snack bar......LOL...Lots of stuff....just got me thinking.....

Oh my....lots more for certain.....Enjoy that granola bar and bring it on board!.....We board snack-less and snack-onboard!

HAL has food available onboard, but there are times I'm craving something and Lido is closed or that isn't even available on the ship. Double stuff golden Oreos. Cheetos. Pop Tarts. Cashews. Pistachio nuts. Sesame sticks. Even a Clif Bar. 

Dang, I'm getting hungry now. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I wondered how long it was going to take for someone to feel the need to say this.  I bring things like pretzels and granola bars.  Where can I get those?  I don’t want  fries, ice cream, big buns filled with whipped cream.  I can’t eat like that.  Besides I don’t like the lido.  If people want to bring snacks what is the issue? Saves hal money.

Very well said. We bring tea, ginger 3 different kinds . pretzels, and more ...

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, Djptcp said:

I am so confused about the issue of bringing soda on board. I have read the Holland FAQs that say absolutely no alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (soda, energy drinks, etc) may be brought onboard. The confusion rests with DH and I seeing passengers already on board at embarkation with cases and six-packs of soda with them. Most recently on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Oct., but also on the Rotterdam last Feb. and March. DH asked at embarkation in Oct. if we could bring soda on board with us and and he said yes. So, which is it???

When had a few unopened bottles of soda in our carry-on bags when we arrived at the cruise terminal in Montreal last month. When we got to security, we took them out and were prepared to guzzle the sodas down when the security person told us we could bring them onboard since they were unopened. Very nice. The people we met in Montreal -- including those working at the cruise terminal -- were a very friendly bunch. Might not be the case elsewhere, so YMMV.