Norwegian Joy Main Dining Rooms

Raintree

Services at the 2 smaller MDR tend to be faster, more casual and overall background not as noisy ... more near/window seatings for 2's and 4's if you arrive early.  Manhattan MDR is the larger one, some folks do dress up a little more and it's more common to see/have larger groups dining there, and it can be quite noisy during meal services.  It does NOT have a dance floor unlike the GA and BA / Escape - more tables and ... as best as we can remember, no place for entertainment, nor was there live music or even DJ-less background music.  A matter of perception, overall meal services tend to be slower or taking longer but you are inform the server team that you are on a schedule ... sometimes, they'll ask & try to please or speed it up.  

• Thanks 1

Good to know ahead of time so I won’t be disappointed with lack of entertainment. Must have been my breakaway cruise.  Was a nice touch. 

new to posting and unsure what that trophy emoji is that I used above...

but thanks for responses. 

Edited by CruisnHallelujahs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Gotta be a little bit more dressed up to be allowed to enter the formal embrace that is the Manhattan Room...hence, I'll never dine there. 

Another positive comment.  You must be a t-shirt and short diner.

I will dine anywhere if the food is good.  I will just show up in a polo shirt and slacks which is acceptable in the Manhattan room.  Or it is now time for specialty dining.  I can dress casual there.  Oh wait I am already dressed casual.  I can dine anywhere on NCL.

6 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

Another positive comment.  You must be a t-shirt and short diner.

I will dine anywhere if the food is good.  I will just show up in a polo shirt and slacks which is acceptable in the Manhattan room.  Or it is now time for specialty dining.  I can dress casual there.  Oh wait I am already dressed casual.  I can dine anywhere on NCL.

Always positive! Take a look at my first post on CC...it was asking all about formal dress on cruise lines. If you hadn't noticed, I'm particularly positive about my desire to wear shorts, t-shirt, and my flippie floppies. This is why I won't cruise on RSSC, Seabourne, or other lines. And, unless it's embarkation day, I positively won't eat at Le Bistro, the Manhattan Room, or Ocean Blue.

I told you, I'm a font of positivity! 

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Always positive! Take a look at my first post on CC...it was asking all about formal dress on cruise lines. If you hadn't noticed, I'm particularly positive about my desire to wear shorts, t-shirt, and my flippie floppies. This is why I won't cruise on RSSC, Seabourne, or other lines. And, unless it's embarkation day, I positively won't eat at Le Bistro, the Manhattan Room, or Ocean Blue.

I won't, and I positively won't.  Yeah that is positive.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That moment when you find your people. I don’t judge others and I certainly don’t care if others judge me. I plan to casually dress for all of my meals, eat early-ish at a restaurant just so I can peruse the buffet a few hours later. When family or friends ask me why I am having two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners … a simple “Because I can.” is the only acceptable response. 

8 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

That moment when you find your people. I don’t judge others and I certainly don’t care if others judge me. I plan to casually dress for all of my meals, eat early-ish at a restaurant just so I can peruse the buffet a few hours later. When family or friends ask me why I am having two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners … a simple “Because I can.” is the only acceptable response. 

You should be able to dine anywhere on NCL.  By the way is it time to eat again?

17 minutes ago, Lizzzie35 said:

Just got off the Joy today. Our party of 7 preferred taste and savor to Manhattan. It was quieter and you weren’t eating practically on top of other tables. No one really dressed any differently for Manhattan vs the other 2. 

Anything you regularly ordered because it was so good?

When NCL first launched the GA and BA ... 7 to 8 years ago, Manhattan MDR (the larger one) had a suggested dress code, not insisting formal or shirt & ties for men, but no shorts or flip flops ...   Over the years, it's been tweaked, loosen & faded away - you would be hard pressed to find more than a dozen or two in suits, blazer & shirt/dress slacks, etc. walking in to dine for the evening; unless they were doing studio portraits and/or celebrating a special occasion, etc.   Nowadays, there is sometimes a daily Chef's Special, printed on the menu, or NOT - which is served like the rest, in all 3 MDR that evening - and, having done a good # of BTS tours over the years, come from the same heat-lamp "stations" in the gallery & less errors-prone with the use of tablet ordering by the server & retrieved by the team's assistant(s).   Feel free to try out at least 2 of the MDR to sample their services.

The MDR (all 3 of them) tend to be jammed pack full on the last night, sometimes last 2 evenings before disembarkation - and fewer folks upstairs in the buffet.   We plan some of our specialty dining schedule on the basis of these pattern, adjusting for the port schedule & timing, to avoid longer waits for everything.  

I know you don’t have to, but we like to make dinner reservations in advance - even for the main dining room. But I can only find Manhattan available online. Can’t we make reservations for Savor and Taste?

12 hours ago, Lizzzie35 said:

Just got off the Joy today. Our party of 7 preferred taste and savor to Manhattan. It was quieter and you weren’t eating practically on top of other tables. No one really dressed any differently for Manhattan vs the other 2. 

I remember on our first NCL cruise we were turned away from the 'fancier' MDR because hubby was in shorts. Went to check the menu on the other dining room and when we realized they were exactly the same - we never bothered to try the fancier one on any of our trips. 

When we're on a ship with both Taste & Savor, we honestly just go to the one with the shorter line. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Anything you regularly ordered because it was so good?

The things that stood out were the Greek salad on the first night, the herb rotisserie chicken (on the menu every night), lemon shrimp with orzo on the 4th night (I believe), salmon tartare starter on the second night. But there were far more misses than hits. 5 of us were adults and we all agreed we’ve never been on a cruise where the food was just subpar and the service was mediocre. 3 of us ate in teppanyaki and Cagneys in addition to the MDR. The service was definitely improved as was the food, which is not surprising because those are pay restaurants. 

1 hour ago, Jorg_ said:

I know you don’t have to, but we like to make dinner reservations in advance - even for the main dining room. But I can only find Manhattan available online. Can’t we make reservations for Savor and Taste?

Once you’re on board you can. We did almost every night except the last night and 6 of us were seated immediately at 7pm.