Egypt- AmaWaterways vs Viking vs Viking’s old ship MS Antares

dcl999

We’re hoping to go to Egypt, preferably December 23 or January 24.  We have sailed on a lot of Viking river cruises and never on AMA.
AMA’s availability is at a better time for us. I read elsewhere that AMA contracts out both ship and staff in Egypt. I think the new Viking ships are Viking owned. Is the staff Viking employed? Does anyone know about their old ship? 
This trip is a major milestone trip for us. We don’t want to end up on a tired ship with just decent food, and a poorly trained staff. The sightseeing seems to be similar on both cruise lines. 

• Like 1

AmaDahlia was built in 2021, and AmaLilia will debut in 2024.  You can hardly get any newer than that!  As to owning vs contracting ships and staff:  Tauck is the very top river cruise line, and they contract all their ships and staff.  If you are willing to pay, a contractor will deliver the quality you demand.  AMA's reputation was built on the service delivered, not who hires the crew.

I think you’ll find that the majority of crews across the industry wherever and on whichever river they cruise are contract staff. I’ve never heard of indifferent or sloppy work from crews or staff on board apart from maybe a few hiccups post covid. Can you imagine a cruise company willing to loose their good name built up over several years employing inferior staff. 

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up booking the ama cruise starting 12/23.This will be our first with ama. We’re looking forward to the experience. We were a little disappointed we couldn’t book one of the larger cabins since we’re celebrating our 50th but we wanted to be on a ship that day. We’re planning to do an independent Jordan trip post cruise. Pre-cruise will be dependent on airfare. 

Or you can ask them to recognize your anniversary in the main dining room at dinner.  I was on Noble Caledonia for my 75th birthday, and boy did the public celebration make it special!  ["I don't know, but I been told ... somebody here is getting old!  Happy birthday to you... etc."]

On 11/27/2022 at 7:28 PM, dcl999 said:

We ended up booking the ama cruise starting 12/23.This will be our first with ama. We’re looking forward to the experience. We were a little disappointed we couldn’t book one of the larger cabins since we’re celebrating our 50th but we wanted to be on a ship that day. We’re planning to do an independent Jordan trip post cruise. Pre-cruise will be dependent on airfare. 

You may wish to inquire about AMA’s chefs table for the evening. Separate dining room  No additional charge and a special meal. Sign up at reception or with the cruise manager. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, BQEC said:

You may wish to inquire about AMA’s chefs table for the evening. Separate dining room  No additional charge and a special meal. Sign up at reception or with the cruise manager. 

We did the Egypt cruise early December and I DO NOT recommend the "Chef's table." try it at your own risk...

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Egypt- AmaWaterways vs Viking vs Viking’s old ship MS Antares
  • 7 months later...
Just now, yogagal47 said:

We did not become ill after the night we ate there, but it was a lot of grilled food, and very smoky. On another night, a large group that was traveling together from Florida had a meal there and two of the people in the group became extremely ill from some sort of food poisoning. Ultimately they had to bring medical personnel on board to treat them with intravenous, fluids and medication but it was pretty terrible. Personally, I am not convinced that it wasn’t from drinking water if they had mistakenly brush their teeth with tapwater or drunk a bit of it, that could’ve made them ill as well but ultimately it was attributed to the meal. I don’t recommend for the food!

On 2/17/2024 at 6:39 PM, yogagal47 said:

We did not become ill after the night we ate there, but it was a lot of grilled food, and very smoky. On another night, a large group that was traveling together from Florida had a meal there and two of the people in the group became extremely ill from some sort of food poisoning. Ultimately they had to bring medical personnel on board to treat them with intravenous, fluids and medication but it was pretty terrible. Personally, I am not convinced that it wasn’t from drinking water if they had mistakenly brush their teeth with tapwater or drunk a bit of it, that could’ve made them ill as well but ultimately it was attributed to the meal. I don’t recommend for the food!

Oh no!   Were you told specifically to absolutely keep away from tapwater even when brushing your teeth? What about the hotel? Did you take the same precautions? 

22 minutes ago, natonater said:

Oh no!   Were you told specifically to absolutely keep away from tapwater even when brushing your teeth? What about the hotel? Did you take the same precautions? 

Pretty sure we were so advised/ hotels too. Check with your healthcare provider before you go and make sure you have medication’s to treat Travelers diarrhea including antibiotics, just in case. Also, there is a product called drip drop-you can add it to bottled water for hydration(similar to Pedialyte for kids).

6 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Pretty sure we were so advised/ hotels too. Check with your healthcare provider before you go and make sure you have medication’s to treat Travelers diarrhea including antibiotics, just in case. Also, there is a product called drip drop-you can add it to bottled water for hydration(similar to Pedialyte for kids).

Thanks for the information.

It will be added to list.