Passport needed for shore excursions? (Closed-Loop)

trevjen7

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  Nice to have an actual real life example instead of a bunch of could be generalizations.  

The fact that some countries, including some that welcome cruise ships, require visitors to have passports, and to have passports that are valid for some specified time beyond the stay is... a real life fact.

You may not like it, but that doesn't change their "real life" requirements.

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

The fact that some countries, including some that welcome cruise ships, require visitors to have passports, and to have passports that are valid for some specified time beyond the stay is... a real life fact.

GC

Yes, you nailed it.  Many (most) countries require visitors to have passports.    And, I don't "not like it".   I said thanks for an actual example applicable to closed loop cruises out of the US.  That would be instead of a broad generalizations.  

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

No one said that they don't like it that some countries require passports.

It does seem like that some here are angry that some countries don't require passports and don't have a specified time beyond the stay and are angry that some cruise passngers cruise without passports. It is a real life fact that many take closed loop cruises without passports and nothing bad happens to them. . 

So the OP asks about 3 specific ports (i.e. Mexico and the Bahamas) and folks post about Alaska and whatever,  So for those ports, on a closed loop cruise, the countries do not require any Passports.  However, you should check with MSC on their own requirements.

Hank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So the OP asks about 3 specific ports (i.e. Mexico and the Bahamas) and folks post about Alaska and whatever,  So for those ports, on a closed loop cruise, the countries do not require any Passports.  However, you should check with MSC on their own requirements.

Hank

Since I mentioned Alaska I'll point out that I thought it more helpful to mention when you might need a passport on a shore excursion than to say "some excursions do require a passport". A lot of people have said that some countries/ports do require cruise passengers to have a passport and that is certainly true enough, but it's more helpful (in my mind) to mention that only two countries in the Caribbean require passports of cruise ship passengers on a closed loop cruise to have passports- Cuba and Martinique. Specifics are more helpful than generalities. 

• Like 2