April 29, 2023 or May 23 - later cruises misses Glacier Bay

chalex

I have 2 cruises on hold. Both with Princess. April 29 is 11 days and includes Glacier Bay. May 23 is 10 day and does not go to Glacier Bay but visits all the other ports as the earlier cruise.

Is April 29 too early to cruise Alaska? 

Should I take the earlier cruise because of Glacier Bay.

I am interested in taking excursions to see whales and other wildlife. Would one cruise be better than the other for that based on migration etc?

Ports to be visited: Sitka, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Skagway and cruises by Hubbard Glacier

First visit to Alaska.

Thanks for any insights!

Both seem very early to me for getting into Hubbard. Others will chime in and know much better than me but with only these two option, I'd go for May 23rd for better odds. 

Not sure I'd go that early for a GB day. I prefer later June-Aug 

You mention wildlife, I'd suggest looking at your must have excursions and see the seasons that best suit those. Ex Bears will have prime viewing based on locations and months. 

Patty

Thanks Patty.

I am a solo traveller and these 2 dates had great pricing (that's the reason for going so early). Anything else in the season is listed double the earlier rate. Plus they threw in a free drink package , gratuities and a $200 excursion credit. 

The fares are cheap because April 29 is about the earliest Alaska cruises start going. Ports (meaning the tourist facilities)may not fully ramped up and open for operations then, and accessing Hubbard might be an issue. 

That being said, Glacier Bay is worth it.

My pick would be Glacier Bay cruise. Everyone should see the beauty of the bay. We have done Alaska and Glacier Bay twice, at the end of August and the beginning of September. This time of year we saw bears and whales from an Icy Strait Point excursion. This coming April we will be cruising Alaska again. Don't know what to expect. Bears are combining out of hibernation but stay inland out of sight until the salmon begin to ruin in July and they  head right to the rivers where they can be seen. and the whales are jutst beginning to return. Going to Tracy Arm Fjord, unfortunately I do not expect to get into the fjord due to ice. If the prices are the same in late August or early September I would go then. No later than the first week of September. You won't be disappointed whenever you go. Have a wonderful time.

I know someone who did Glacier Bay in April and it looked entirely different. It was snow packed and pretty cool. They had great weather - not sure how it normally is.

Hubbard glacier can be missed for quite a bit through May and even into June.

• Like 1