Santorini Excursion/Tour help needed - cannot do the cable car either way

GCS2000

As I posted before need to find an excursion for the wife and daughter that does NOT involve the cable car (nor will they take the donkeys).  Reading these 2 on RC's portal I am wondering if one of these might work.

It seems clear that there will not be an issue to start the excursion i.e. tender to dock and get on a bus/van etc then tour around as it states but then once its time to go back she is concerned she will have to take the cable car back down (some googling has led us to believe this may be the case).  We are hoping someone can chime in about these particular excursions and confirm whether or not that is the case.

I am open to a private tour not through Royal as well if anyone has a suggestion there that does not involve the cable car at all.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Best of Santorini

Overview

Transfer from ship to shore via tender and board your motorcoach to begin your comprehensive tour of beautiful Santorini. Your first stop will be the ancient site of Akrotiri. Unearthed in 1967 after being shrouded for over 3,000 years, Akrotiri is remarkably preserved and offers great insight into the island's ancient history. Continue on to a traditional winery on the island for an opportunity to sample the fruit of the local vine.Your next stop will be the picturesque village of Oia. Perched high atop the cliffs of Santorini's northern terminus and known for its quiet beauty and spectacular sunsets, this spot boasts breathtaking views of neighboring volcanoes. Stroll through the narrow, cobblestone lanes, view the brilliantly whitewashed buildings, shops, sun-bathed cafés and blue-domed churches. Enjoy a lively Greek celebration with the food, wine and dances of Greece in one of Santorini's renowned Greek restaurants, together with great views of this scenic island. Join in the lively celebration, dancing to ‘Zorba the Greek' and breaking plates while the bouzouki plays its solo.You'll then continue to Fira town, the lovely capital of the island built on the rim of the caldera wall, before returning to your ship.

Highlights

• Visit a local winery and sample three different types of wine, including the famous Vinsanto, Lunch with Greek Folkloric show.
  • Explore the cobblestoned streets of Oia and enjoy a Greek style fiesta lunch accompanied by folkloric show presentation.
  • Discover the fascinating well-preserved Bronze Age town of Akrotiri, buried under the pumice of a volcanic eruption in 1450 B.C.

Important details and advisements

• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
  • Tour order may vary but all mentioned sites are covered.
  • This tour cannot accommodate children under the age of 6 years.
  • Headsets, bottled water, maps, and wet naps included in this tour.
  • Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.8 miles over various surfaces.
  • Light snacks or refreshment will be served on this excursion.
  • Most tour departures complement the ship's meal service hours. A meal will be served during this excursion.
  • Alcohol may be available, please drink responsibly.

Island of Santorini and Oia Villiage

Overview

Embrace the glorious island charms of Santorini on an adventure that brings you from the idyllic village of Oia to a local winery for tastings, plus time to explore Fira’s hilltop cityscape with your guide. Admire breathtaking views of the ancient volcanic caldera while driving around postcard-perfect Santorini Bay to the quaint hamlet of Oia. Perched high above the sea, this white-washed Cyclades enclave is full of narrow pathways that wind around a maze of art galleries, cafes, and artisan shops. Next, you’ll travel to a local bodega where Santorini wine is aged, learning about how the island’s climate and volcanic soil contribute to its fine varietals. Wine has been produced here since the ancient times, and it became world-renowned during the Middle Ages. You’ll taste the pure essence of Greek wine with a selection of three unique wines paired with locally produced cheese, olives, and tomatoes. Your final stop in the bustling capital city of Fira lets you snap some memorable photos before the journey back to Athinios port.

Highlights

• Oia: Meander along winding cobblestone paths perched high above the volcanic caldera, peeking in art galleries and artisan shops.
  • Santorini: Drink in the island's world-famous wines with a tasting of three varietals accompanied by locally produced cheese, olives and tomatoes.
  • Fira: Enjoy free time to explore this buzzing cityscape, shop, dine on Greek cuisine, or snap selfies with the caldera.

Important details and advisements

• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 20 steps and extended periods of standing.
  • Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
  • Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
  • Alcohol may be available. Please drink responsibly.
  • Foreign currencies not accepted in many venues.
  • Guests are not permitted to visit winery production facilities during harvest season.
  • Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.
  • The drive from port to Oia is approximately 45 minutes.
  • Tour sequence may vary.
  • During peak season, roads and walkways may have high levels of congestion and guests should be aware that this is beyond the tour operator’s control.
  • Light snacks or refreshment will be served on this excursion.

Your only real option is to look for a ship tour that returns passengers to the original port. These are rare, but I have seen some cruiselines offer one or maybe two at most.

A private operator could possibly RETURN you to Athinios port, but you would not be allowed OFF the ship to Athinios in the morning without a shorex ticket from the cruise line. 

From reading the two that you've posted, it does appear that the second one would return you to Athinios port. From long experience, I do not think it's worth trying to call the cruise line and get a clarification in advance of your cruise -- they literally know nothing and you are likely to get conflicting, confusing, or downright wrong info.

If this is paramount to your group, I would go ahead and book the second tour and then confirm it with the shore excursion desk as soon as you get onboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Your only real option is to look for a ship tour that returns passengers to the original port. These are rare, but I have seen some cruiselines offer one or maybe two at most.

A private operator could possibly RETURN you to Athinios port, but you would not be allowed OFF the ship to Athinios in the morning without a shorex ticket from the cruise line. 

From reading the two that you've posted, it does appear that the second one would return you to Athinios port. From long experience, I do not think it's worth trying to call the cruise line and get a clarification in advance of your cruise -- they literally know nothing and you are likely to get conflicting, confusing, or downright wrong info.

If this is paramount to your group, I would go ahead and book the second tour and then confirm it with the shore excursion desk as soon as you get onboard.

Yes I already got "no info" from RCCL when I called.  All they did was basically read the online description to me.

Downside of just booking and excursion is that if it doesn't get her back down w/o cable car we will be paying for an excursion that doesn't get used.

25 minutes ago, GCS2000 said:

Downside of just booking and excursion is that if it doesn't get her back down w/o cable car we will be paying for an excursion that doesn't get used.

Unless Santorini is your very first stop, you should be able to cancel the excursion once you get onboard if it doesn't meet your needs. Almost all ships allow you to cancel any excursions a certain number of hours in advance -- most, I think, have a 48-hour deadline.

Second excursion ".... before the journey back to Athinios port"

Tenders for those on ship-sponsored excursions are tendered to the little inter-island ferry harbour of Athinios because the road goes down to the harbour and ships' excursion buses pick up there.

Tenders for those not on ship's excursions are tendered to the pier below Fira (called Santorini old harbour) - there's no road, to get up to Fira folk have to take the cablecar or go up the zig-zag path by donkey (mule)

This map shows Santorini Old Harbour (below Fira, zig-zag path, cablecar, no road) and Athinios harbour (road down to the port). Ships moor in the caldera between the two

https://goo.gl/maps/CWsu8herppnq3Bid7

For the return to the ship, most ships' excursions - including the first one posted - then drop their passengers in Fira for "free time" and they make their own way by cable-car or the zig-zag path down to the pier below Fira for tenders back to the ship from there.

The second excursion specifically says "........ snap some memorable photos (of Fira) before the journey back to Athinios port", so clearly the bus then takes them down to the harbour of Athinios, where they board tenders back to the ship. Very simple, no cablecar, no donkeys.

It does say 

• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 20 steps and extended periods of standing.
  • Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour

I don't think that refers to the buses or tenders, I think its the 1 1/2 miles of cobbled roads or somewhere on the excursion.

I agree with Cruisemom that your best bet is to book that excursion and check it out soonest once aboard.

Ships' crews know the score, head offices don't.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

42 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Second excursion ".... before the journey back to Athinios port"

Tenders for those on ship-sponsored excursions are tendered to the little inter-island ferry harbour of Athinios because the road goes down to the harbour and ships' excursion buses pick up there.

Tenders for those not on ship's excursions are tendered to the pier below Fira (called Santorini old harbour) - there's no road, to get up to Fira folk have to take the cablecar or go up the zig-zag path by donkey (mule)

This map shows Santorini Old Harbour (below Fira, zig-zag path, cablecar, no road) and Athinios harbour (road down to the port). Ships moor in the caldera between the two

https://goo.gl/maps/CWsu8herppnq3Bid7

For the return to the ship, most ships' excursions - including the first one posted - then drop their passengers in Fira for "free time" and they make their own way by cable-car or the zig-zag path down to the pier below Fira for tenders back to the ship from there.

The second excursion specifically says "........ snap some memorable photos (of Fira) before the journey back to Athinios port", so clearly the bus then takes them down to the harbour of Athinios, where they board tenders back to the ship. Very simple, no cablecar, no donkeys.

It does say 

• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour

I don't think that refers to the buses or tenders, I think its the 1 1/2 miles of cobbled roads or somewhere on the excursion.

I agree with Cruisemom that your best bet is to book that excursion and check it out soonest once aboard.

Ships' crews know the score, head offices don't.

JB 🙂

Thanks for this I didn't catch that wording.  Seems like this one might work.  The walking is no problem for either of them (we just walked over 57 miles on our AK cruise in Sept).  I will talk it over with the wife and most likely book it.

Appreciate the help everyone.

• Like 1