Blast from the Past: My first MSC cruise review from 2015...

Stockjock

This was our itinerary.  One thing I loved about this cruise is that we were in Cinque Terre from 8 am until 2 am or 18 hours.  This gave us a ton of times to explore the 5 little towns.  I think that most schedules don't allow enough time to properly experience Cinque Terre.    

Departure port:
Civitavecchia, Italy (CVV)
Date: 26 Sep 2015
Check-In Time:
16:00
Sailing time:
19:00

Arrival port:
Civitavecchia, Italy (CVV)
Date: 06 Oct 2015
Arrival time:
08:00

Date
Day
Arrival
Departure
Port code

Port
26/09/15
SATURDAY
--:--
CVV

Civitavecchia, Italy (ENG)
27/09/15
SUNDAY
23:59
LSP

La Spezia, Italy (ENG)
28/09/15
MONDAY
00:01
02:00
LSP

La Spezia, Italy (ENG)
28/09/15
MONDAY
10:30
JCA

Cannes, France (ENG)
29/09/15
TUESDAY
14:00
23:59
PMI

Palma de Mallorca, Spain (ENG)
30/09/15
WEDNESDAY
00:01
00:30
PMI

Palma de Mallorca, Spain (ENG)
30/09/15
WEDNESDAY
09:00
18:00
BCN

Barcelona, Spain (ENG)
02/10/15
FRIDAY
TUN

Corfu, Greece (ENG)
03/10/15
SATURDAY
MLA

Valletta, Malta (ENG)
04/10/15
SUNDAY
MSN

Messina, Italy (ENG)
05/10/15
MONDAY
NAP

Naples, Italy (ENG)
06/10/15
TUESDAY
--:-
CVV

Civitavecchia, Italy (ENG)

We sailed on MSC Melody in 2002, from Florida.  I don't do reviews, and I never read reviews, but if anyone is curious, I'd be happy to go back to my journal and try to answer any questions about what my MSC blast from the past was like.  (Yes, MSC was sailing here much further back than many think.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on MSC Melody in 2002, from Florida.  I don't do reviews, and I never read reviews, but if anyone is curious, I'd be happy to go back to my journal and try to answer any questions about what my MSC blast from the past was like.  (Yes, MSC was sailing here much further back than many think.)

Absolutely, please do.

I thought I was an early MSC cruiser in 2012 on the gorgeous Poesia.

Dominique McGill was our contact at MSC for many years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

When I took my MSC cruise in 2015, it was nearly unknown, so I can only imagine how different things were in 2002.  In fact, I didn't know that MSC was in Florida in 2002.

22 hours ago, RD64 said:

MSC Opera in March 2006 for me. I believe the Opera started sailing from Florida in the winter of 2004-2005.

Yes, that agrees with one of my brochures. Lirica followed here shortly thereafter.

Re our Melody cruise in 2002, some random observations.

We had a standard OV cabin. It felt quite spacious, and nicely appointed. The brochure states that it is 185 square feet.  Big bathroom with a tub.

Set dinner time for us was 8:45, which we always attended.  However, we had been in the habit of going to ship buffets for breakfast and lunch, and we continued to do so on Melody. The buffet was on pool deck, and was very limited: some rolls at breakfast, and small rolls with either cheese or salami, plus a pudding or cake, at lunch.  One day DH didn't feel like having lunch, so I went to the dining room, and sat at a two-top.  I discovered an extensive menu! After my meal, a head waiter came to me and asked why I didn't go to my usual large dinner table; apparently that was the expected practice.

There was always lots of music and dancing, including officers dancing with passengers. Entertainment included a dance troupe from Spain, British dancers, and much more. A group of engineer crew Samoans put on a spectacular show.

Ship capacity was 1,076, in 538 cabins.  Eight decks.

• Thanks 1

I will always remember the deck buffet on the Opera - spaghetti with pesto sauce on St. Patrick’s Day.

This was a very unique cruise. They were hosting an Italian beauty contest, Miss Italia nel Mondo. A hugely famous Italian singer - Renzo Arbore was on board. As well there was a group of Spanish models ( probably the most beautiful group of people I have ever seen in one place) doing a shoot for Guess, many, many European passengers including two Spanish film actors. This cruise was also unique in that in addition to round trip from FLL it also allowed for seven days round trip from San Juan. 

Add in your Americans, Canadians, South Americans, and a sprinkling of Australians - a truly memorable cruise.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I will always remember the deck buffet on the Opera - spaghetti with pesto sauce on St. Patrick’s Day.

This was a very unique cruise. They were hosting an Italian beauty contest, Miss Italia nel Mondo. A hugely famous Italian singer - Renzo Arbore was on board. As well there was a group of Spanish models ( probably the most beautiful group of people I have ever seen in one place) doing a shoot for Guess, many, many European passengers including two Spanish film actors. This cruise was also unique in that in addition to round trip from FLL it also allowed for seven days round trip from San Juan. 

Add in your Americans, Canadians, South Americans, and a sprinkling of Australians - a truly memorable cruise.

It reminds of a Croisieres de France (aka CDF) cruise we took (later Pullmantur, now bankrupt).  It was a French cruiseline with some interesting itineraries (Venezuela, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc).  We had Miss France on board and they had a camera crew filming her all over the ship.

I think our 7 night cruise was roughly $250, with a drink package.  Super price.  And the food, while simple, was amazing.  Really good service too.  I felt bad when they folded.

0140.jpg

Edited by Stockjock