To Do In SFO

thesmiths

Sailing on the Miracle May 15, 2023

30th Wedding Anniversary, Wifey still does not know.

Flying in Friday the 12th, Staying at the Holiday Inn Express @ FW, well booked there now anyway.

Wanted to do something in SFO. Alcatraz is one. Who is the best to book through and which trip?

What are some other thigs that are your favorite?

Thank You !

The Mason Street Cable Car line is about a block away. It'll take you past North Beach (SF's Little Italy), skirt by Chinatown to the top of Nob Hill (almost) and down to Union Square (fancy shopping). 

Riding the cable car is not cheap, suggest getting a day-pass https://www.sfmta.com/fares/cable-car-single-ride

In the evenings at the top of Nob Hill go to the Mark Hopkins Hotel to the Top of the Mark for drinks  https://www.sfmarkhopkins.com/top-of-the-mark  The northwest corner was known as Weeper's Corner. During WWII the wives and girlfriends would gather there and watch their boys sail out the Golden Gate.

Edited by Philob

I love to go to SF - so much to do.  I would suggest that if you go to Alcatraz that you book the first ferry over in the morning.  Fewer people on the island and the return ride shouldn't be as crowded.  As philob suggested I would get a multi-day transit pass, much less expensive.  One ride on the cable car is now $8.00.  Unlimited rides with the pass.  I like Pier 39 (yes, I know it is a tourist trap but I am a tourist) and watching the sea lions there.  Happy Anniversary and have a great time!

On 11/19/2022 at 12:46 PM, thesmiths said:

What are some other things that are your favorite?

Eating at Tadich Grill, drinks at The Top of the Mark and The Tonga Room (across the street from each other), walk through Chinatown (stopping to snack at Good Mong Kok and Hing Lung) and getting sourdough from Acme Bread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...