Princess Covid Vax Passenger Limits for under 12s

mark213

Bit confused.... there are discrepancies in both stated Princess website Covid requirements/FAQs stating on one hand that unvaccinated children under 12 are counted in the overall 95% limit, and another are saying they are not counted in the limit... Both dated 17  Nov 2022.

Which one is it?

See excerpts below from both pages....
-------

COVID-19 Acknowledgment for Sailings from Australia, Updated November 17, 2022

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/au-cruises/covid-19-acknowledgment/

For children under 12 years of age at the time of cruise departure who will not be fully vaccinated, and guests with a valid recognised medical exemption to not be fully vaccinated, you will need to advise us of this at the time of booking as there is a limit on the number of guests who are not fully vaccinated that can travel on each cruise departure.

Limit on the number of guests who are not fully vaccinated (Under 12 years of age, and Medical Exemptions)

As part of the guidelines agreed to by the cruising industry and respective Australian governments, it is a requirement that at least 95% of guests must be fully vaccinanted against COVID-19. This means there is a limit on the number of guests who are not fully vaccinated that can travel on each cruise departure.

The limit applies to any children under 12 years of age who are not fully vaccinated, and any other guests who are not fully vaccinated and have a valid recognised medical exemption. Any other guests who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to travel.

-----------

CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from Australia & New Zealand
Updated November 17, 2022

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/au-cruises/

Children under 12 years old who are not fully vaccinated are permitted to travel, and there is no limit on the number of unvaccinated children permitted to sail.

It may be both, depending on the state.

When cruising resumed in May, the 95% rule applied to both children under 12 and to medically exempt adults. Sometime at around early October, NSW dropped that requirement for children under 12, but I can't be sure for the other states. The second of those 2 FAQ's is certainly true for Sydney departures.

I think it is highly likely that Princess hasn't properly updated the first of those FAQs, but best confirmed with them.

22 minutes ago, arxcards said:

When cruising resumed in May, the 95% rule applied to both children under 12 and to medically exempt adults. Sometime at around early October, NSW dropped that requirement for children under 12, but I can't be sure for the other states. The second of those 2 FAQ's is certainly true for Sydney departures.

I think it is highly likely that Princess hasn't properly updated the first of those FAQs, but best confirmed with them.

When I was checking the requirements for Carnival, I recall it quoted NSW rules for a ship departing Brisbane.  Must be hard for cruiselines to keep up to date, with cruises departing from different states. 

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I'd say could be correct but the latest govt guidelines are for the full eastern Seaboard, and these FAQs don't call out there may be different applications per state as it's for all Australia and NZ ...

Either way you are required to Acknowledge the first one in your Wellness portion of Ocearready, so it's conflicting. 

I'd probably say they haven't done a proper job and audit both lists, even though they have insisted both were "updated" on 17th Nov.

This sort of inconsistent bureaucracy just goes to show that the rules have no bearing on the health intent they are supposed to be in place for.  

Just now, mark213 said:

I'd say could be correct but the latest govt guidelines are for the full eastern Seaboard, and these FAQs don't call out there may be different applications per state as it's for all Australia and NZ ...

Either way you are required to Acknowledge the first one in your Wellness portion of Ocearready, so it's conflicting. 

I'd probably say they haven't done a proper job and audit both lists, even though they have insisted both were "updated" on 17th Nov.

This sort of inconsistent bureaucracy just goes to show that the rules have no bearing on the health intent they are supposed to be in place for.  

Sorry to say, but in our experiences with Princess over many years, they are consistent in their inconsistency. 😁

• Thanks 1

So Princess have replied and advised that an exemption letter is still required. 

Not sure what they would do if you rock up without one for your kid.....

You will need to inform us at the time of booking if you or anyone on your booking is not fully vaccinated due to a valid recognised medical exemption, or if they will be under 12 years of age at the time of the cruise departure and not fully vaccinated.

Just FYI everyone - to be safe, make sure you get a letter regardless if you need one

26 minutes ago, mark213 said:

As for the kids included in the 95%, that would be inconsistent with the health advice, and I think it was sort of a government incentive to say "jab your kids and you can cruise". As for the other bureaucracy, there is an element of common sense in most of it.

2 minutes ago, mark213 said:

So Princess have replied and advised that an exemption letter is still required. 

Not sure what they would do if you rock up without one for your kid.....

You will need to inform us at the time of booking if you or anyone on your booking is not fully vaccinated due to a valid recognised medical exemption, or if they will be under 12 years of age at the time of the cruise departure and not fully vaccinated.

Just FYI everyone - to be safe, make sure you get a letter regardless if you need one

Yep, inconsistency at its' best, and may depend on what FAQ the help desk bunnies are reading from.

Yes, inform them if they require it, but they have no caps for unvaxxed under 12 ATM.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yep, inconsistency at its' best, and may depend on what FAQ the help desk bunnies are reading from.

Yes, inform them if they require it, but they have no caps for unvaxxed under 12 ATM.

If you read the first FAQ that is on the page it looks like no action is required. Only after you book, do the wellness check and then it presents you with this other page to read do you realise all of a sudden there's a notification requirement. 

No worries with doing it, it's just the painful process that causes unnecessary panic after one has shelled out 10k.

• Like 1