NCL vs Celebrity vs Princess - Caribbean cruise in spring

cruisenews11

Hi!  I've cruised on Royal Caribbean & Carnival - I know what to expect on them in terms of food, entertainment and atmosphere, and I like them both for what they have to offer at their price points.  Please let me know if I should consider broadening my horizons on NCL, Celebrity, or Princess, and why?  What makes any of them nicer or more special than the other?  I do realize that this question is still very specific ship based too, so I'll dig into more research on specific ships, but just curious on opinions and comparisons of the different lines in general?  Thank you!

Well, I have traveled the world and I am always in favor of broadening your horizons.  I like Celebrity because it is a bit more relaxed than Carnival, maybe a bit more refined, especially if you avoid their 4 day cruises.  I like Princess if the itinerary and price is right.  I think I will not sail them again because they have eliminated traditional dining.  I have sailed Holland and might again, also if itinerary and price were right.  I would like to try Virgin, but they are a bit pricey, and at 78 I’m definitely not the demographic they are trying to attract.  Due to age and health, I am likely to continue to sail mostly Carnival and perhaps MSC because I can drive to the ports.  EM

• Like 2

Having cruised on 16 different lines (including Princess, NCL and RCI) I do not think it is necessarily a matter of "nicer."   The various options and ship within a ship concepts have changed cruising.  These days folks can opt to cruise in different classes (or environments) depending on their own wants and budget.  So you could go on a budget cruise on NCL by booking the lowest price cabin and eating in the included dining options.  or....You could be an expensive Haven Suite, have an upscale all-inclusive experience, and never dine ""with the masses."   On Celebrity you also have options such as paying the big bucks for a "Retreat" Suite with its own dining venue, pool deck, lounges, etc.

There are also some big differences depending on the actual ship.  On the mega ships of NCL and RCI you can get some amazing entertainment!  On Princess, you will not get that type of entertainment although they do have production shows and other options.  Somebody mentioned MSC and we will admit to being a big fan of their "Yacht Club" which is an upscale ship within a ship.  Outside the YC, MSC is somewhat akin to a Carnival or RCI experience without as many structured activities.

Hank

• Like 2

All of my experience with Princess and Celebrity (my favorite) is itineraries other than the Caribbean.  Compared to my recent RCI Caribbean cruise and Carnival Mexican Riviera cruises, I would say they are a lot less "energetic".  However, I would expect that for Caribbean itineraries, the atmosphere on both would be more vibrant, lively, or however you say it.  As far as dining, I think it is pretty comparable.   I've not been on NCL, so can't comment.   

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 4:58 PM, cruisenews11 said:

Hi!  I've cruised on Royal Caribbean & Carnival - I know what to expect on them in terms of food, entertainment and atmosphere, and I like them both for what they have to offer at their price points.  Please let me know if I should consider broadening my horizons on NCL, Celebrity, or Princess, and why?  What makes any of them nicer or more special than the other?  I do realize that this question is still very specific ship based too, so I'll dig into more research on specific ships, but just curious on opinions and comparisons of the different lines in general?  Thank you!

NCL is likely to be less expensive, but will feel more crowded and will require paying for alternative restaurants if you want food and service comparable to that on Celebrity or Princess.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

NCL is likely to be less expensive, but will feel more crowded and will require paying for alternative restaurants if you want food and service comparable to that on Celebrity or Princess.

I think you mean paying for an upgraded restnt is needed to achieve the same level as a Celebrity or Princess main dining room?  If so, I'm glad I have not been on NCL.  

We haven’t cruised ncl in decades since we thought they went totally down hill about then when they started there free style dining . We used to like Princess but they kept adding cabins without increasing the size of there show rooms so it was extremely hard to find a seat for the shows . We do like celebrity there entertainment is not as good as rccl but food is good and if you can book suites there suite perks are fantastic. Basically the only cruises we now book are rccl and celebrity both in suites and we also love MSc yacht club which someone else also mentioned, both celebrity and yacht club have butlers ,

• Like 1