iPhone settings

jrlerl711

FYI, we use WhatsApp on our iPhone when travelling as one only needs WiFi. Airplane mode and roaming turned off but WiFi turned on.  As long as you have access to WiFi, you can communicate onboard the ship or on land where free WiFi is available, etc. You can also make calls but we tend to use only text. WhatsApp is a free messaging and video calling app.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:06 AM, WESTEAST said:

FYI, we use WhatsApp on our iPhone when travelling as one only needs WiFi. Airplane mode and roaming turned off but WiFi turned on.  As long as you have access to WiFi, you can communicate onboard the ship or on land where free WiFi is available, etc. You can also make calls but we tend to use only text. WhatsApp is a free messaging and video calling app.

We just enable wifi calling on the iPhone.  Can do the same thing as long as there is wifi.  An app isn't necessary.  

I do like WhatsApp.  We use it for everyday communications with one of our sons who lives and works in another country.  

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

We just enable wifi calling on the iPhone.  Can do the same thing as long as there is wifi.  An app isn't necessary.  

I do like WhatsApp.  We use it for everyday communications with one of our sons who lives and works in another country.  

We use wifi calling as we live in an area with low cellular signal at home.  IMO, if one calls/texts to/from (or between) international countries, WhatsApp is the best free solution to avoid carrier charges.

28 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

We use wifi calling as we live in an area with low cellular signal at home.  IMO, if one calls/texts to/from (or between) international countries, WhatsApp is the best free solution to avoid carrier charges.

I agree WhatsApp is really good, and for video calls too.  And I sure agree about using it to avoid international call charges. 

The following may vary by carrier.  While traveling on land or ship we can use wifi calling to any US number without additional charge.  If we have the ship wifi then we call or txt our fellow travelers without the app.  If we have need to call an international number, that is a different story -- hello WhatsApp!   

37 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

With WiFi calling I get charged the same as if I were at home when using it on the ship. Since I have an unlimited plan I don't get charged anything. I have unlimited text, voice and data. (AT&T) Of course I have to have one of the ship internet packages. I can voice call  familly members without getting charged if they live in the US. without carrier charges. If I were calling an international number like for example a local tour operator at a port then I would want to use something like Whatsapp or Skype, The way I read the OP they were not planning to buy an internet package. They only want to use the WiFi to use the free ship app and get ship info. 

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree WhatsApp is really good, and for video calls too.  And I sure agree about using it to avoid international call charges. 

The following may vary by carrier.  While traveling on land or ship we can use wifi calling to any US number without additional charge.  If we have the ship wifi then we call or txt our fellow travelers without the app.  If we have need to call an international number, that is a different story -- hello WhatsApp!   

Exactly. WhatsApp only for international calls. We don't need it to call US numbers from the ship or on land if we are using WIFi calling. If I am in the UK connected to my hotels hotspot with WiFi calling enables I can call US numbers for free. But if I call a UK number frorm my UK hotel that is when I woud use something like WhatsApp to avoid charges. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1