Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

We just got off the Apex and had the exact same issue in our room 6231. I recorded the noise as well. It was the worse when we had rougher seas and were running full steam. It started Day 3 but was the worse going into Day 5.  Again like most have cruised a lot and understand that ships creak but this is different. We were lucky that there was another room available to move and it was only 2 doors down. No issues at all!

List is a good start..but perhaos suggest/ ask mods if there can be a STICKY NOTE  at top of  Celeb page of the  creaky cabins to AVOID on BEYOND..

Also a a cabin review with WARNING!   Some creaking of ceilings and clacking of hangars is expected but that noise sounded like the  construction went  bad somewhere...Could not stand even listening to the video..send to LLP   Something  is really wrong!

We were just on the BEYOND....luckily no creaking`... we were In a basic suite and did not  hear  any creaking. 

We just booked ASCENT Deck 10 mid AQ with an IV,  so hoping this does not happen on that ship..

List is a good start..but perhaos suggest/ ask mods if there can be a STICKY NOTE  at top of  Celeb page of the  creaky cabins to AVOID on BEYOND..

Also a a cabin review with WARNING!   Some creaking of ceilings and clacking of hangars is expected but that noise sounded like the  construction went  bad somewhere...Could not stand even listening to the video..send to LLP   Something  is really wrong!

We were just on the BEYOND....luckily no creaking`... we were In a basic suite and did not  hear  any creaking. #  9203 was  a non creaker!

We just booked ASCENT Deck 10 mid.. AQ with an IV,  so hoping this does not happen on that ship..

On 12/3/2022 at 8:02 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

Funny we were on the Infinity early Feb 2010 and we hit a Drake's passage storm  with 38 ft seas and 75 knot winds.  The Captain diverted to Ushuia and we still hit the tail end of the storm.  There was no direction to hide. 

Noise was extreme - the sliders were vibrating from the air pressure and the ship shuddered all nigh from waves hitting the hull.  Creaking was the less of the evils.

I would have been terrified!! 

We were in cabin 10231, December 11, 2022.. Aqua Class IV cabin..same exact cracking noises. They began around 11 p.m., the first night of the cruise. we put our AirPods and white noise on…no help.  

I reported it to Guest Relations the next morning they sent someone to listen and look. When I spoke with them later in the day,they acknowledged that this was an issue….no surprise.  The were quite apologetic and kind..offered us the interior cabin across the hall, as a place to sleep.  It was a simple solution, and we had two cabins🤣.  The sounds continued throughout the 7 night cruise. Seas were a little rocky at first, but the current was very strong. The only quiet moments were when in port.
  We met senior officers during our cruise and discussed this with each of them. We were told that they are aware of this, it impacts some cabins, not others, and that the ship builders were aboard, trying to problem solve.

We loved this ship, but are wary of booking it again for the near future.

Edited by Sox59
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I'm glad to hear they had people from the ship builder on board to troubleshoot.  Hopefully they will have a plan in place by the time Beyond sails to Rome in April.  I also hope the fix is relatively quick and easy and they do not have to dry dock it at Saint-Nazaire.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sox59 said:

We were in cabin 10231, December 11, 2022.. Aqua Class IV cabin..same exact cracking noises. They began around 11 p.m., the first night of the cruise. we put our AirPods and white noise on…no help.  

I reported it to Guest Relations the next morning they sent someone to listen and look. When I spoke with them later in the day,they acknowledged that this was an issue….no surprise.  The were quite apologetic and kind..offered us the interior cabin across the hall, as a place to sleep.  It was a simple solution, and we had two cabins🤣.  The sounds continued throughout the 7 night cruise. Seas were a little rocky at first, but the current was very strong. The only quiet moments were when in port.
  We met senior officers during our cruise and discussed this with each of them. We were told that they are aware of this, it impacts some cabins, not others, and that the ship builders were aboard, trying to problem solve.

Thanks for posting this video! This is very close to what we experienced on Edge in a midship Concierge cabin on deck 12 (described earlier on this thread) except our noises were much louder due to rough seas. We had noises similar to this video in a midship Sky Suite on Edge. I was interested to find that we had few of these noises during periods of rough seas on our recent b2b on Apex. We were in an SV on deck 8.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sox59 said:

B0CE1F93-9BDB-4C40-BF04-AFFB05B76CD1.MOV 153.69 MB · 8 downloads

If they're aware of certain cabins having an issue, maybe they should take them out of service until its fixed, rather than have upset customers 

• Like 2

I was told the frustrating thing is that it is not the same cabins making noise each cruise.  Now, maybe it is just a function of which people complain.  But I can tell you from experience it is not like there is a row of cabins that are causing problems.  And I was specifically told that they are getting complaints on different cabins for different cruises.  Now, hopefully they are keeping a list so, for example, if they consistently get complaints about cabin 10231 they will take that cabin out of service.  But it's hard to take IV and AQ cabins out of service, especially when they are probably getting complaints only sporatically (since many people don't complain).  It is certainly easier to give an empty inside cabin away, and easier on the bottom line.  But I certainly agree that the cumulative damage being done to their reputation and the reputation of the Beyond ship specifically needs to stop, even if it means taking prime cabins out of circulation or cancelling a sailing to do some major work if necessary.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sox59 said:

B0CE1F93-9BDB-4C40-BF04-AFFB05B76CD1.MOV 153.69 MB · 21 downloads

Thanks for providing that link. I hope I don't get a room like that on my February cruise. I think I'm someone easy going but I also couldn't listen to that noise for an extended period of time - it would drive me nuts. 

On 11/21/2022 at 12:42 PM, JeanieC,Aston said:

I remember reading on CC when Beyond was in the Med people were sleeping on the sofa’s in the atrium/Martini Bar area to try to get some respite from the noise in their cabins.

I read this as well. I joined the transatlantic group on f book to see how things were before my own cruise.  I was on October 26-Nov 4th and there were still noise issues. The transatlantic had some other damage which was apparent when I was onboard due to very rough seas-at one point-broken glass, hot tub out of commission due to damage. Not huge stuff like some were saying. 

On my cruise I met a woman traveling in a solo room that was beyond noisy-she had them move her to another room. It wasn’t even rough weather at all! We were in the Caribbean. I am dismayed as I had booked that exact room for my bday on upcoming cruise Jan 29th. I sat in her room to listen to noises & it definitely would be an issue for me. I immediately did the bidding for the move up option. I’d rather be in an inside room vs the room they moved her from! The other thing was that Celebrity is WELL aware of the issue yet they told my new friend that they hadn’t had any complaints. Amazing. I actually have video that someone else posted with the noise. 

On 11/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, Hayesgirl said:

We were on the October 26 sailing and experienced a lot of creaking we had a Sunset Veranda cabin. We have been on ships where we have had creaking before but never as bad as on the Beyond.

I was on that trip as well and heard several complaints about the noise. 

We were on a 10 night cruise on the Edge in December.  Most nights we were woken up in middle of the night with knocking on our walls.  We were on deck 7.  We didn't go to Customer Service, we mentioned it to our room attendant a few times.  Once we were able to have him hear it.  I guess we should have asked to move, the ship was only half full.  We have never had as many noise issues as we had on the Edge. 

Edited by Cruising Cindy Lou
Wrong Deck number

Has anyone brought  this up at Q and A sessions or social events with hotel or engineering staff?  Is there a fix ?

We have to save up for cruising nowadays due to rising costs.  It would be a shame to do that only to be stuck with a creaking cabin..  Cutbacks and extra charges can be worked around but the creakers  ....that would ruin a cruise.esp if  there are no  places to move to..

• Like 1

Sounds like the noise issue is easily identified like any physical obstruction. Celebrity should at the least disclose the noise issues on a per room basis like they do obstructed views.  The ship is flawed and a lemon.  If Celebrity can't  disclose the noise issue in advance they should take the rooms offline.  There is nothing relaxing or acceptable about advance sales of defective products, including hotel or cruise ship rooms.  Someone didn't do their job, cut corners, or worse. Why should anyone book Beyond or Ascent considering the lack of quality control? 

Edited by Cap_D

On 1/10/2023 at 5:22 PM, CherylTN said:

I’m on the Beyond now and having bad creaking noise issues. Sky Suite 11208. We’re waiting for mechanical to come check it out. It’s completely calm seas.

Update- The mechanical team worked on the creaking and amazingly it seems like it is gone. I’m impressed, it was so loud and constant. They were going to give us another room to sleep in if they couldn’t fix it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CherylTN said:

Update- The mechanical team worked on the creaking and amazingly it seems like it is gone. I’m impressed, it was so loud and constant. They were going to give us another room to sleep in if they couldn’t fix it. 

On Beyond now in a Concierge Cabin on deck 10 no noise or creaking whatsoever thank God. We have had other issues but no creaking……

For you gambling folks, what do you think are the realistic odds Celebrity will with either fix the issue within 6 months, admit there is a serious noise issue and they have no clue how to fix, or too bad the customer will have to live with it and give them a big $50 OBC.  

On 1/11/2023 at 10:55 PM, CherylTN said:

Last day at sea and it started back, it was nice while it lasted. 😩