Do we need to print boarding passes?

zhuangcorp

In San Diego it came in handy when we arrived at the port to show our boarding time and our 4* status.  We were told to have our boarding passes in hand.  Easier to see and no fumbling around with our cell phone when we were also dealing with carryons, etc!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

If we come just with the navigator app, will they print out the luggage labels for us?

The less the staff has to do for you the faster everybody can get on board.  Print your own and have them on your luggage before you get to the port.

• Like 2

We print everything I to a hardcopy folder just in case. You can pull up the boarding pass and "screenshot" it in your phone photos in case your phone gets wonky with service in the terminal. They need a clear scan of the bar code on the pass, so if your phone has smudges, scratches, or cracks, it may not work efficiently. I also have my light level low on the phone so that causes issues with scanning. We do the same with excursion tickets from Nav App because we've had some guides require the bar code on the excursion ticket instead of the cabin keycard (it's easier and faster for them). We always print our luggage tags at home and bring them. We don't put them on until just before leaving for the poet (we borrow a stapler from hotel). 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

The less the staff has to do for you the faster everybody can get on board.  Print your own and have them on your luggage before you get to the port.

this helps speed things up.  We bought reusable luggage tag holders.  These are plastic & attach easily to our bags w/ a circle of metal wire that screws together, making them secure & waterproof.  

• Like 7

Have used just the app to board the ship on my last cruise, but like others have said I bring a paper copy as back up.

As far as luggage tags go I login to my booking on Hal's site and preprint out our tags. That way I have them on my luggage and can give them to the porters as soon as we get to port. I also would suggest the plastic holders mentioned in other posts. You can find the on amason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dutchman48 said:

That way I have them on my luggage and can give them to the porters as soon as we get to port. I also would suggest the plastic holders mentioned in other posts. You can find the on amason.

Warning: the 1st luggage tag holders I bought were the incorrect size, so watch for specific cruise line tag holders or measure the printed/folded version for size.  The ones we bought work for Carnival & HAL.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

I am having trouble getting Hal's web page to show a bar code like the one showing on my phone.  Is it very small at bottom of pg?

When do you board? I believe the final boarding pass with bar code is closer to embarkation. The boarding pass earlier may not have the bar code and also may have a temporary boarding time that could change before the final is ready to print. 

• Like 1

Embarkation goes very quickly with a printed Boarding Pass because your HAL status is very clearly shown to ground staff.....and the number of people in your group as well all at one glance.

You can show a Boarding Pass on your cell phone; however, it is difficult to see more than one QR code, your sail date, and your stars!  That slows the process at the entry gate.

If you do not have a time slot, it will have to be looked up....another delay for you and others.

Security procedures have been enhanced for the holidays.  

Dropping off luggage prior to your time is often not possible due to California law which requires that longshore workers take a 30 minute lunch now before their 5th hour of work.  It used to be 6th hour.

They start at 7 am, so think about it.  They do take 2 shifts, but all are not back at the job until nearly 12:30 pm.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Use the printed boarding pass.  The staff could see it better.  At least that was my experience in San Diego last Thursday.  San Diego was one screwed up mess on Thursday.  It has never taken me 3 hours to board a ship from San Diego Before.  Total disconnect between HAL and the pier.