The secret return journey

greyarea53

Viking were very reluctant to advise what time the charter flight would depart Ushuaia as we were due to dock at 5am and our flight from Buenos Aires was 23.30hrs. we decide to book a day room in BA. EZE boutique hotel ( 10 minutes from EZE). Eventually, while on the cruise we were let into the secret. We disembarked 0900 and our chartered flight left at 11.30 arriving at BA 1450hrs. Pleased we booked that day room!! Viking had arranged to herd everyone to Hard Rock Cafe for a meal and drink. If you need extra leg room on the chartered flight ( all economy seat) you will have to constantly make your needs known as your boarding ticket is given to you on the coach to the airport with no concerns if a person's need. We were able to swap seats when on board after relentlessly asking. Read my experience of our trip to Antarctica in review section. The photo is if the original seat. Safe to say this is my last Viking cruise.

IMG_20221122_112715457.jpg

• Like 1

It is not just Viking that are "reluctant" to release the return time of the chartered flight from Ushuaia.  We are travelling to Antarctica with Hurtigruten and this is an element of discussion with Hurtigruten too.

I don't think that we can award responsibility to Viking or any cruise line for these charter flights as all lines are using the same aircraft.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, greyarea53 said:

Viking were very reluctant to advise what time the charter flight would depart Ushuaia as we were due to dock at 5am and our flight from Buenos Aires was 23.30hrs. we decide to book a day room in BA. EZE boutique hotel ( 10 minutes from EZE). Eventually, while on the cruise we were let into the secret. We disembarked 0900 and our chartered flight left at 11.30 arriving at BA 1450hrs. Pleased we booked that day room!! Viking had arranged to herd everyone to Hard Rock Cafe for a meal and drink. If you need extra leg room on the chartered flight ( all economy seat) you will have to constantly make your needs known as your boarding ticket is given to you on the coach to the airport with no concerns if a person's need. We were able to swap seats when on board after relentlessly asking. Read my experience of our trip to Antarctica in review section. The photo is if the original seat. Safe to say this is my last Viking cruise.

We are sorry that you won't be enjoying Viking again, but that's good news for those of us that enjoy Viking, as it leaves more cabins available.

Perhaps in this post COVID world you may have unrealistic expectations. If I am flying, I am happy to find the flight isn't cancelled and/or changed multiple times, I don't have to stand in a security queue for 3+ hrs, I find a fully crewed plane at the gate and upon arrival, find our luggage. Those might be fairly low expectations, but these days, I'll suggest they are realistic.

Knowing the schedule before the cruise is a minor detail, as especially in that part of the world. When you book an expedition cruise in the furthest reaches of the World, you need to accept the local limitations. Personally, since departing Ushuaia you are depending on a local charter, I would be happy to ensure we arrived at BA in sufficient time to catch the connecting flight.

For a short flight, I didn't see an issue with the legroom, seen worse in Europe and some of the local flights I've taken on small aircraft. Considering the charter flights we got when going to/from work, that would have been the equivalent of business class, if it was available. Our flights were also 3 to 3.5 hrs each way.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We are sorry that you won't be enjoying Viking again, but that's good news for those of us that enjoy Viking, as it leaves more cabins available.

Perhaps in this post COVID world you may have unrealistic expectations.

Andy - I was about to answer the OP, but you have put it much better than I could have!

It does amaze me how after COVID, there are passengers who say they'll never use Viking again.  (But often they seem to keep coming back on the CruiseCritic forums).  Passengers have sadly become more demanding and more entitled than before COVID.

As you say, more room then for us, if they do keep to their promise of never using Viking again!

• Like 10

In reading the OP,  I’m not sure what Viking did to merit “never again.” A flight from Ushuaia at 11:30 am? That seems reasonable to me. The Hard Rock Cafe in BA? I’ve never been to one — that might be an interesting experience. Economy class on a short charter flight? I’ve survived much worse in 40+ years of international travel. (One example was a 36-hour transit from BA to Miami to Charlotte to Seattle — all in economy.)

Putting aside these inconveniences, I do hope the poster enjoyed the wonders of Antarctica, and that he/she sees fit to give Viking another chance.

• Like 6

On 11/23/2022 at 4:26 PM, CCWineLover said:

Andy - I was about to answer the OP, but you have put it much better than I could have!

It does amaze me how after COVID, there are passengers who say they'll never use Viking again.  (But often they seem to keep coming back on the CruiseCritic forums).  Passengers have sadly become more demanding and more entitled than before COVID.

As you say, more room then for us, if they do keep to their promise of never using Viking again!

They are entitled to their opinions. No need to make fun of them,or berate  them, while I agree that they have no control over-leg room . How dare they criticize Viking. Not.