A few questions for my February sailing from NY to the Caribbean.

LauraAnneC

Hi all,

Really looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Getaway. I’ve a couple of questions I hope you may be able to help me with!

-  we have 2 days at sea to get from NY to reach San Jose. Any ideas how rough the seas will be while sailing south? Should I bring sea sickness tablets? 

- I’m booked in a studio cabin on Deck 11. Would I be better to try and upgrade to a cabin mid ships lower down? 

- I’ve cruised on Celebrity before and so used to changing for dinner. Just wondering how informal NCL really is? 

- how soon can we expect to be able to sit out on deck? Do we need to wait until we are actually in the Caribbean or can we hope for one of the sea days to be ok to be outdoors? 

- wondering about avoiding the queues for getting on the ship and arriving later rather than earlier. What time would you advise or is this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance! 

Laura 

23 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

I’ve cruised on Celebrity before and so used to changing for dinner. Just wondering how informal NCL really is? 

Shorts and t-shirt (aka "Cruise Casual") are allowed in nearly every restaurant for dinner

Any restaurant that requires long pants/collared shirt (aka "Smart Casual") will be listed in the dailies.

The website gives general information but the specifics will be in the dailies. 

Even with the informal dress code, some will be under the code. Enforcement is sometimes inconsistent so don't clutch your pearls if someone is wearing shorts or a hat when the dress code states that they shouldn't.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater - the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

• Thanks 1

A studio on Deck 11 would be good.  Even if the seas are a bit rough, you should not feel it very much.

No way to know what the weather will be.  If you are prone to seasickness, then bring your meds.

Late afteroon Day 2, it should be warm enough to be outside.

I like to arrive as early as possible.  You probably will not be able to actual board until after 11 A.M.

Enjoy your cruise.  The Getaway is a great ship.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Late afteroon Day 2, it should be warm enough to be outside.

Is "Day 2" the first sea day or second?  My expectation would be by the morning of second sea day you'd be able to sit outside without issue.  You might be wearing a sweatshirt depending on the weather patterns, but you should be well beyond the bitter cold of NY winter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

Hi all,

Really looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Getaway. I’ve a couple of questions I hope you may be able to help me with!

-  we have 2 days at sea to get from NY to reach San Jose. Any ideas how rough the seas will be while sailing south? Should I bring sea sickness tablets? 
We have had anything from smooth to pretty good rollers, so take any meds you may want just in case. 

- I’m booked in a studio cabin on Deck 11. Would I be better to try and upgrade to a cabin mid ships lower down? 
This location should be fine. 

- I’ve cruised on Celebrity before and so used to changing for dinner. Just wondering how informal NCL really is? 
We tend to go business casual for the evening except with shorts if not dining somewhere that specifies otherwise. Everything from super casual to not quite cocktail is seen. Basically wear what you’re comfortable in. 

- how soon can we expect to be able to sit out on deck? Do we need to wait until we are actually in the Caribbean or can we hope for one of the sea days to be ok to be outdoors? 
Depends on weather and your tolerance.  I’m generally in shorts the first morning but not out on deck until the next day. 

- wondering about avoiding the queues for getting on the ship and arriving later rather than earlier. What time would you advise or is this a bad idea?

We’ve had mostly good luck at the port but have not sailed from there prior to pandemic so no good advice from me. 

Thanks in advance! 

Laura 

Mostly enjoy your cruise. New York is our favorite port to sail out of and can’t wait to get back!  

• Thanks 1

We sailed out of NY on the Gem in January. The first and last day, you could definitely feel the ship moving. Nothing was sliding around, but the pool was sloshing everywhere and sometimes you'd have to adjust your step. They also had to close access to the outside decks. The weather can occasionally be pretty rough around that time of year (Nor'Easters) so no way to be sure. I'd bring meds just incase. Better to have them with you than to have to buy it on-board with the markup. 

We felt the weather was pleasant by the 2nd day at sea. It wasn't hot, and not pool weather, but much nicer than the cold winter weather we left behind in NYC. 

Edited by AwesomO
  • Thanks 1

@LauraAnneC Hi, I'm on the 1/8/23 cruise and have sailed out of NYC quite a few times in the winter. 

Looks like your itinerary is the same as mine, day 1 ( North of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina ), weather is typically windy / cold, they may close the outdoors areas, rough weather is always a possibility, this will be same going north. As other have posted day #2 will gradually get better, for us it's almost a third sea day before arriving at San Juan, great day to get some sun. My wife always brings Bonine, just in case those white bags appear. Windy.com is a great tool to check the sea conditions.

Checking in - we usually check-in around 1100AM-1130AM for a 300PM departure, they have in the past started boarding around 1100AM, by the time we are thru security and check-in the chaos has subsided, some folks just need to be the first one on, no matter who stands in their way.

Dinning, The only two venues that have a dress code ( No T-shirts or Shorts ) is Le Bistro and Tropicana MDR.

Solo - can't help but remember they haven't waived the solo supplement yet so you will be paying double if you move out of the solo cabins  .

Jim 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 3:41 PM, LauraAnneC said:

I always suggest bringing the tablets. They are cheap and easy to get at your local store or pharmacy. If you need them you have them and if you don't at least you didn't pay inflated prices on the ship. 

• Thanks 1