Sapphire to face heavy seas

LawDog61

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

A Captain is responsible for the ship and all on board.  Before commanding a ship they will have acted as 1st Officer in every port and ocean.  They obviously err on the side of caution.  A pilots license is for three things.  The type of vessel.   The maximum size permitted and last the waters they are certified.  The Captain is limited in where they can go far northern and southern waters by international treaties- not insurance company rules.  Captains obviously are experienced and qualified to sail in all scheduled waters and make deviations from planned courses often for various reasons - usually weather; such as Summit circumnavigation of Iceland instead of along the west coast to avoid a storm.

@chengkp75there seen to be some points here that are inconsistent with your last post. 
Would  you please comment?

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The Captain is limited in where they can go far northern and southern waters by international treaties- not insurance company rules.  

4 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

@chengkp75there seen to be some points here that are inconsistent with your last post. 
Would  you please comment?

I'm assuming that the above sentence is what you consider inconsistent?  With the recent (2017) adoption of the Polar Code, a Captain and crew need certification to operate in Polar waters.  So, yes, Wildcat is correct.  The main restriction on operating in Polar waters, however, is the ship, not the Captain or crew.  However, for the discussion here, rounding Cape Horn is not in Polar waters, so no certification is required.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm assuming that the above sentence is what you consider inconsistent?  With the recent (2017) adoption of the Polar Code, a Captain and crew need certification to operate in Polar waters.  So, yes, Wildcat is correct.  The main restriction on operating in Polar waters, however, is the ship, not the Captain or crew.  However, for the discussion here, rounding Cape Horn is not in Polar waters, so no certification is required.

I knew you’d know. Thank you. 

On 11/23/2022 at 9:56 PM, LawDog61 said:

He said people might want to ride it out in their cabins. 

Not me.

I want to be on the open deck, with lots of fresh air, and a clear view of the horizon.

Otherwise, I will be seeing what I had for dinner, and not is a good way.

I was once on a motion simulator ride at a major theme park.

Afterwards, I was sick for 2 days.

2 hours ago, NownZen said:

My parade too since I get on the ship on friday.

At least we are sailing from Terminal 93 which has a lot of indoor space versus 92 which is a mess.   Norwegian Bliss is at 92 so expect a mess pulling into the parking lot if you come early.

58 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

At least we are sailing from Terminal 93 which has a lot of indoor space versus 92 which is a mess.   Norwegian Bliss is at 92 so expect a mess pulling into the parking lot if you come early.

We get there around 1pm. Please push everyone in tight so there is room.