Cococay first visit - 3 generations, age 8-80 (including wheelchair) - suggestions needed

wotec

First visit to Cococay, need help planning our day.  My husband in his 80's uses wheelchair for long distances and then uses walker or walking stick.  He can walk unassisted for short distances.  Traveling with our active, thrill loving and fit son and 2 grandsons 7 &10.  Need help planning our day on cococay in Dec.  Was thinking of buying in advance Thrill Waterpark Full Day Pass @  $44 for son & the boys.  My husband and I would like a calm swimming beach - with easy in/out access - SUGGESTIONS?  Also need to be sure the 2 of us have umbrella covered lounge.  Renting a cabana @ $1000 is too $$$.  Thoughts on Coco Beach Club - is that the best option for the 2 of us?  Would need to buy the $100 day pass for all 5 of us in order to have lunch and down time for the 5 of us together.  SUGGESTIONSI PLEASE?  Thanks

• Like 1

No need to do the Beach Club.  

There are trolleys/trams/whatever that accommodate wheelchairs, or you can fold up the wheelchair since it sounds like your husband would be able to step onto a tram.

There are beaches all over the place (six of them, not including the beach club), and the loungers and umbrellas are plentiful at all of them.  

There are two buffet areas, plus a few Snack Shacks. 

Harbor Beach is probably the calmest with the easiest in/out, and there is a buffet right next to it.

• Like 2

Harbor Beach has loungers with umbrellas (in fact most loungers have umbrellas everywhere) but not much shade there.  We prefer the area on Chill Beach just beyond the bar because there are a ton of palm trees as well but getting there with wheel chair might be challenging.  They do have wheel chairs with large tires available but you need to get off the ship as early as possible to get these.  Agree that Harbor Beach has closest access to paved path and there is a buffet between it and the water park that might be a convenient meeting place for you.

Depending on the terrain at the stop, stepping up into the trams on the island may be too high for those with disability issues. And there are no grab rails or wheelchair ramps on the tram cars to assist. Conversely, there are wheelchair accessible trams from the ship to the tram station on the island, and they also have grab rails/handholds to make access easier. 

My husband and I loved the Beach Club in September.   We are both in our 70’s with mobility issues.   It was just what we needed to enjoy a full day at CocoCay.  Not crowded with easy access to the ocean, infinity pool, restaurant, bathrooms, bar, and there was even a place to get morning coffee.  The lounge chairs were comfortable  with large umbrellas, trees for shade and  chairs had flags to raise if you wanted  a drink. I love to swim and the infinity pool was perfect for me.  My husband loves to swim in the ocean so he spent a lot of time there.  The open air covered restaurant is very nice but more of a specialty restaurant.  Kinda of heavy for a beach day. We both enjoyed a late lunch of steak and lobster but skipped dinner that evening.   I think  kids would like  the free food offered on the island more.  We  enjoyed the waterpark in 2019 but no longer able to climb the stairs to the slides or go in the wave pool. The Beach Club isn’t for everyone but it was perfect for us.  

We went this summer with our 2 late teens and my mom who has limited mobility. We were able to get decent Black Friday sales for the Beach Club and I will say it definitely makes things a lot easier because my mom's toughest walking was over the sand. I'm not sure if she could have done much more than the the first row of chairs from the sidewalk--especially in the heat. So I'd just try to think through the walking on the sand.

If you and your son/gs were going to spend most of the day apart anyway with them using the WaterPark, personally I'd think about purchasing the Beach Club passes for you and your husband. Getting to shade, and getting a variety of chairs (my mom started to get uncomfortable on the loungers and so switched to a rocker under the overhang), access to water, bathrooms, etc is just a lot easier--and it's easy to forget that the heat makes things tougher too.