Will the plane ticket remain valid even though you miss the ship or are denied embarkation due to visa issues?

Aeroplex

Hello,

Now it happened to me. I booked a cruise for my paents too quickly without reading the visa requirements from MSC carefully. 

I'm talking about visa requirements for travel to the Red Sea. Especially MSC Splendida from Hurghada/Safaga (Egypt). 

My parents have a Chinese passport, we have a permanent residence in Germany / Schengen visa. Chinese citizens can get e-visa or even visa on arrival from Egyptian authority. However, MSC requires a visa to be obtained from an embassy or consulate. 

Therefore, I am concerned that they may be denied bording. 

How is the airline ticket handled in such a case? Does the return flight back to Paris remain? 

Thanks

Aeroplex

Edited by Aeroplex

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Boy…if ever there was advice I would get from calling the cruise lines vs seeking advice here, it’s this post.

Call MSC!  

Already wrote MSC Egypt Employer on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn to get more info and contact to the immigration purser ... 

The MSC hotline employee won't help.

Edited by Aeroplex

Did you book the Black Friday special - €299 for 7 days on MSC Splendida including flights from Paris?   I thought that was quite a deal and was very tempted to book.  Out of interest, which airline are the flights on?  I tried looking for direct flights from CDG, but couldn't find any.  I'm interested in the timings, as that is what stopped me from booking.

But yes - the return flight tickets will remain valid even if they don't let your parents board the ship in Safaga.  You have booked a package tour so the tour operator (MSC) remains responsible for getting you home.    If I was in your position I would get a multiple entry e-visa for your parents, as with that I doubt you will be denied boarding.  

You could also cancel, as MSC the visa requirements were not clear when you booked: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/holidays/package-travel/index_en.htm#shortcut-2

19 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Did you book the Black Friday special - €299 for 7 days on MSC Splendida including flights from Paris?   I thought that was quite a deal and was very tempted to book.  Out of interest, which airline are the flights on?  I tried looking for direct flights from CDG, but couldn't find any.  I'm interested in the timings, as that is what stopped me from booking.

But yes - the return flight tickets will remain valid even if they don't let your parents board the ship in Safaga.  You have booked a package tour so the tour operator (MSC) remains responsible for getting you home.    If I was in your position I would get a multiple entry e-visa for your parents, as with that I doubt you will be denied boarding.  

You could also cancel, as MSC the visa requirements were not clear when you booked: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/holidays/package-travel/index_en.htm#shortcut-2

Exactly 😉 The offer was to tempting. We paid around 500€ each. They fly with Air Italy.

E.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Boy…if ever there was advice I would get from calling the cruise lines vs seeking advice here, it’s this post.

Call MSC!  

Did you ever try to do this? It is TOTALLY useless, MSC and the other cruise lines will REFUSE to give you any information, don´t know if the Americans are different, but I am pretty sure they will not answer anything expect "Please contact the relevant embassy" or recommend a visa agency they are working together.

In this case I think a denied boarding is a quite high risk as it is a MSC flight and MSC probably instructs the airline to check the visas already in Europe. 

1 hour ago, 8420PR said:

Did you book the Black Friday special - €299 for 7 days on MSC Splendida including flights from Paris? 

299 including the flights? I thought I have seen (and booked) quite some crazy good deals in my life, but that is absolutely amazing.

It is still available:

https://www.msccroisieres.fr/nos-croisieres/navires/msc-splendida/itineraires?departureDateFrom=28%2F11%2F2022&departureDateTo=26%2F11%2F2025&passengers=2|0|0|0&embkPort=SGA&ships=SP&kwkuniv=P4E9D756054B100-ccp4e9d756054b1f1-MTgwMDNiMzE2NTA%3D&packages=CruiseFlight

It is just the 4th Dec sailing, and includes flights from Paris.  Cheapest price is now €360 for an inside cabin (including flights and cruise, but excluding service charge).

The flight appears to be a charter, so I assume MSC France are just trying to fill unsold seats that they have already paid for.

23 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

299 including the flights? I thought I have seen (and booked) quite some crazy good deals in my life, but that is absolutely amazing.

Actually the pricing is like this:

100€ Plane Ticket from Paris => Hurghada + Transfer 

70€ Hotel Service Fee for 7 nights

199€ for 2 person - Bella interior

239€ for 2 person - Fantastica interior

+ 20% Single occupancy fee

- 5% VC discount

As Bella was sold out, I booked Fantastic for my mother for 239*1,2*0,95 + 170€ => around 440€

----

To be honest, I am in several Facebook groups about this itinary. There are incredible hurdles regarding visas for Egypt and Saudi Arabia. If you book it for next Saturday, you have to get the visa in time. It's a real gamble. 

Edited by Aeroplex

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Call MSC!  

MSC aint going to help, best they would do is perhaps give wrong information.  Quote from MSC rep when asked if I needed the visa, if I would be denied boarding: "it's your responsibility to know the visa requirements"  then they checked my visa before boarding, and during the cruise all the passengers were summoned to appear another 2 times.

8 hours ago, Aeroplex said:

Hello,

Now it happened to me. I booked a cruise for my paents too quickly without reading the visa requirements from MSC carefully. 

I'm talking about visa requirements for travel to the Red Sea. Especially MSC Splendida from Hurghada/Safaga (Egypt). 

My parents have a Chinese passport, we have a permanent residence in Germany / Schengen visa. Chinese citizens can get e-visa or even visa on arrival from Egyptian authority. However, MSC requires a visa to be obtained from an embassy or consulate. 

Therefore, I am concerned that they may be denied bording. 

How is the airline ticket handled in such a case? Does the return flight back to Paris remain? 

Thanks

Aeroplex

I applied and received both visas online, before I boarded, egypt took over a day, Saudi took a few minutes but for Saudi just dont get off the ship and save the $148 for the visa

46 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I applied and received both visas online, before I boarded, egypt took over a day, Saudi took a few minutes but for Saudi just dont get off the ship and save the $148 for the visa

MSC and the Saudi foreign ministry have archived an agreement. From this week on you can get a transit visa for Saudi Arabia for 25 USD (just the insurance fee). 

Yeah…maybe different working with U.S based cruise line support personnel.  When I traveled to Barcelona with the MSC Meriviglia, they were very helpful.

So, MSC stated you have to get a VISA from the Embassy or Consulate?  Is there a reason you can’t do this?

What does the airline say?

Edited by graphicguy

1 hour ago, Aeroplex said:

MSC and the Saudi foreign ministry have archived an agreement. From this week on you can get a transit visa for Saudi Arabia for 25 USD (just the insurance fee). 

Same thing we were told, it never happened, good luck

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah…maybe different working with U.S based cruise line support personnel.  When I traveled to Barcelona with the MSC Meriviglia, they were very helpful.

If a US passport holder talks to MSC USA and it is not a difficult thing that might can happen. This case involves a Chinese passport holder and Egypt and Saudi, totally impossible to get information from the cruise line hotline. 

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

So, MSC stated you have to get a VISA from the Embassy or Consulate?  Is there a reason you can’t do this?

What does the airline say?

MSC state that my parents need a visa from the consulate.

The current law in Egypt is visa on arrival (possible) and e-visa (possible). 

Sorry but no hotline employee will help you. They probably will redirect you to some Manager etc. 

I contacted now some manager from MSC Egypt to get the confirmation if their rule may be outdated and never updated since 2018. 

Edited by Aeroplex

3 minutes ago, Aeroplex said:

MSC state that my parents need a visa from the consulate.

The current law in Egypt is visa on arrival (possible) and e-visa (possible). 

Sorry but no hotline employee will help you. They probably will redirect you to some Manager etc. 

I contacted now some manager from MSC Egypt to get the confirmation if their rule may be outdated and never updated since 2018. 

OK….so, why not get a Visa from the consulate?

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK….so, why not get a Visa from the consulate?

😄 check the Google review for the Egypt embassy in Frankfurt and Berlin and you will get the answer.

takes from 10 days to 5 month for a tourist visa, People lost their passport or could not travel because the embassy kept their passport for months… 

the rule that an embassy passport is mandatory is a MSC rule and outdated since 2018. 

Edited by Aeroplex

11 hours ago, Aeroplex said:

😄 check the Google review for the Egypt embassy in Frankfurt and Berlin and you will get the answer.

takes from 10 days to 5 month for a tourist visa, People lost their passport or could not travel because the embassy kept their passport for months… 

the rule that an embassy passport is mandatory is a MSC rule and outdated since 2018. 

I would apply for the visa now since it is required by MSC!

Edited by graphicguy

10 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

They don't let you board the plane in Paris without the required visas. When the flight is booked by MSC they control the paperwork a first time before boarding the plane in Paris. So you can't board the flight without visas.

VISA is required, either by MSC and/or France.  Regardless, MSC won't allow boarding without the VISA

As far as the flights are concerned, which is the original question, the reservations will remain.  Reservations have to be made in the passengers' names, regardless of who made the reservation.  So, if or until they are changed or cancelled (maybe requiring a fee, depending on the airline's policies), the reservations remain the same as booked.

I'm not even sure insurance would cover someone not adhering to MSC's requirements.  I suppose that depends on the insurance (if they booked "cancel for any reason" type of insurance).  If it's not an illness, or something the cruise line did wrong, or a flight being delayed/cancelled, it may not be covered.

If MSC has already stated that not having a VISA isn't a reason to cancel the cruise, and boarding is not allowed, maybe they can offer a Future Cruise Credit?  Just throwing ideas out there for the OP to ask MSC. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:39 AM, graphicguy said:

I would apply for the visa now since it is required by MSC!

On 11/28/2022 at 6:14 AM, Nikita4 said:

They don't let you board the plane in Paris without the required visas. When the flight is booked by MSC they control the paperwork a first time before boarding the plane in Paris. So you can't board the flight without visas.

We have now the e-Visa for egypt and also a statement from the embassy that visa on arrival is possible. 

So let's see. 

On 11/28/2022 at 4:47 PM, graphicguy said:

VISA is required, either by MSC and/or France.  Regardless, MSC won't allow boarding without the VISA

As far as the flights are concerned, which is the original question, the reservations will remain.  Reservations have to be made in the passengers' names, regardless of who made the reservation.  So, if or until they are changed or cancelled (maybe requiring a fee, depending on the airline's policies), the reservations remain the same as booked.

I'm not even sure insurance would cover someone not adhering to MSC's requirements.  I suppose that depends on the insurance (if they booked "cancel for any reason" type of insurance).  If it's not an illness, or something the cruise line did wrong, or a flight being delayed/cancelled, it may not be covered.

If MSC has already stated that not having a VISA isn't a reason to cancel the cruise, and boarding is not allowed, maybe they can offer a Future Cruise Credit?  Just throwing ideas out there for the OP to ask MSC. 

On 11/28/2022 at 6:14 AM, Nikita4 said:

Everything successful. My parents flew to Hurghada today and are on the MSC Splendida now. 

🥳

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1