Last night Mauna Loa began erupting....

BermudaBound2014

Last night Mauna Loa began erupting for the first time in nearly 40 years. Ash warning has been issued. No VOG warning yet. Those who are visiting Hawaii in the near future may want to stay aware.

https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mauna-loa/volcano-updates

https://mauinow.com/2022/11/28/mauna-loa-volcano-warning-issued-as-eruption-begins-at-mokuaweoweo-summit/  Reports of red skies visible from Maui.

https://www.newsweek.com/mauna-loa-webcam-worlds-biggest-volcano-erupt-livestream-1762678 Live stream

• Like 1

Thank you Bermuda Bound 2014.   I posted a message in reference to this on the Roll Call for this sailing.  Our family has decided to cancel excursions for Hilo and Kona and play it by ear.  If I understand correctly it's not just the ash (which is bad on it's own)  and possible road closures but threat of large earthquake. 

• Like 1

Pele' sure is is putting on a show..... Normally I spend all winter on Maui, but we just switched it up to add some time on the Big Island first. No one knows how long this will last, but I would love to see this in person. IMO the only real issue to be concerned with is VOG.

@teamwanderer I feel earthquakes on Maui with some regularity. The last one shook me awake in the middle of the night. Earthquakes are pretty common anytime (not just when Pele is showing off). Cancelling non-refundable excursions is probably wise, but I would consider Moana Loa erupting a bonus. 

image.thumb.png.3f80369f6ba765ea172f6769af98c816.png

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I feel earthquakes on Maui with some regularity. The last one shook me awake in the middle of the night. Earthquakes are pretty common anytime (not just when Pele is showing off). 

Are you around the Kahana/Kapalua area?  We usually don't feel much here (Upcountry).

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes, Kapalua. 

If you don't mind me picking your brain, how bad does the VOG typically get in Kapalua? 

We have never noticed it that much because we were raised  and lived in smoggy Los Angeles and then had the cane burning with its smoke, ash and various problems when we moved here.  Due to that, things don't really seem that bad nowadays.  Kapalua always seemed (still does) the freshest place to be on Maui, if that makes sense, but that is just us talking.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, teamwanderer said:

Thank you both. We set sail on Sat Dec 3rd and 1st stop is Maui on Dec 4th and 5th and then the Big Island for 2 days.  Looking forward to see your beloved islands.  Regards

We hope that you will enjoy your cruise and find Maui (all of Hawaii, actually) to be everything you have been dreaming about.  We don't know where you are located, but at 5 p.m. it is 70F right now where we live with partly sunny/partly puffy white clouds and wind only about 4 knots.  E komo mai!