Volendam?

riffatsea

We are booked for our first HAL cruise on the Volendam next December

I have been reading horrible posts from folks sailing on other HAL ships!

Service,food ,plumbing etc have been listed problems

I understand that complaining always gets more attention than praise

I would love to hear from folks who are on this ship or who have been on since/during covid

PLEASE tell me something good!

I don't want to cancel this cruise!

We’re on Volendam right now. Service is wonderful (though it did take 3 tries to find the right waiter in MDR) and the ship is being maintained well. Since we’re in the Amazon we didn’t fuss about our ice cold stateroom because it’s better than a hot stuffy room. We just got an extra blanket or two. You’ll have a great time!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We’re on Volendam right now. Service is wonderful (though it did take 3 tries to find the right waiter in MDR) and the ship is being maintained well. Since we’re in the Amazon we didn’t fuss about our ice cold stateroom because it’s better than a hot stuffy room. We just got an extra blanket or two. You’ll have a great time!

Have staterooms been refurbished? Are tvs on wall or still on desk in vista suites? Can you post pictures of ship?

I'm going on the Volendam from SD to Vancouver in May, mainly because it's the last smaller ship left, apart from Zaandam, and the only older one I haven't been on yet. Like the disappearing Alaska glaciers, I want to walk around a pretty promenade outside before they're all gone. It will be a bit strange to think of the Ukrainian refugees who lived on it, but then so many HAL ships sat near-empty for quite a while, or were used to repatriate crew, or were stuck in limbo with crew who weren't allowed back home. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tommy said:

Have staterooms been refurbished? Are tvs on wall or still on desk in vista suites? Can you post pictures of ship?

I don’t have any photos of the ship but did visit my friend in a Vista suite room and their TV was a wall mounted larger TV on the wall opposite the bed. Public areas have brand new carpet. The chairs in the MDR look brand new. Carpet in our oceanview room looks new. Bathroom mirror is very nice. It has lights in the mirror so well lit. Instead of a tub we have a full shower with glass doors. Too hot for me to walk the promenade in the Amazon bit I plan on doing it before we get off.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi @StLouisCruisers if by chance you are ever by guest services kindly wondering if you can find out how many people are currently booked on the Grand South America, I am on that cruise and just wondering.  Thanks, Mary

4 hours ago, New Jersey Pat said:

What can you tell me about the Classic Duo on board. Piano and violin or some other combination 

The classical duo is in Explorer’s  Lounge around 5:30, 6:30 and 8 pm.   We always walk another way to the dining room so hadn’t run across them before. 

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi @StLouisCruisers if by chance you are ever by guest services kindly wondering if you can find out how many people are currently booked on the Grand South America, I am on that cruise and just wondering.  Thanks, Mary

I can ask. We were booked on that one and cancelled due to DH’s wishes. Wish we could have gone. If I find the answer I will post here.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 6:19 PM, Lido deck main said:

Mary, the people at Guest Services don't have an answer to your question.  However, they emailed the new Future Cruise Consultant who is boarding the ship today in Manaus and asked her to find out.  The FCC is supposed to get back to me if she can get the answer (or even if she can't I guess).

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 6:16 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

Can you explain three tries? Did you have to move tables or did they bring another waiter to you? 

On 11/30/2022 at 6:19 PM, Lido deck main said:

We are on the Grand SA too.  I hope to meet you at our Meet & Greet if you have signed up.  Nancy 

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Mary, the people at Guest Services don't have an answer to your question.  However, they emailed the new Future Cruise Consultant who is boarding the ship today in Manaus and asked her to find out.  The FCC is supposed to get back to me if she can get the answer (or even if she can't I guess).

Thank you @StLouisCruisers for checking.  Hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful.  

On 11/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

I don’t have any photos of the ship but did visit my friend in a Vista suite room and their TV was a wall mounted larger TV on the wall opposite the bed. Public areas have brand new carpet. The chairs in the MDR look brand new. Carpet in our oceanview room looks new. Bathroom mirror is very nice. It has lights in the mirror so well lit. Instead of a tub we have a full shower with glass doors. Too hot for me to walk the promenade in the Amazon bit I plan on doing it before we get off.

Sorry to be treating you like our own personal spy while you should be relaxing and enjoying the cruise, but about the big screen TV's:  OK, upgraded in Vista's, but what about your cabin (Inside or OV)?  I would think all cabins were upgraded X months ago but common sense and cruise lines are seldom found together.  And it's not like I'm going to cancel my booking if my cabin doesn't have one 😁.

One more thing: are you happy with the quality of the food?  Was on Zuiderdam last month and was rather disappointed (wide selection but just so-so quality).

Thanks for all your efforts on the behalf of us other CC folks!

On 11/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, New Jersey Pat said:

What can you tell me about the Classic Duo on board. Piano and violin or some other combination 

We decided to stop by and listen to the two ladies who make up the Classical Duo on board.  DH spoke with them when he walked by Explorer's Lounge about 5:30 and they were sitting with their piano and violin but not playing with no guests in attendance.  He learned they are both from Ukraine.  So after we got ready to leave the cabin for the evening we went down to listen to their next set.  No one was in the Lounge at 6:30 either!  When we sat down they began to play and several other people sat down when they walked by and heard them playing.  I think they should play whether anyone is there or not.  You can draw them in that way.  I hope on your cruise there will be more people stopping by to listen to them play.  We did enjoy it and will be going again.

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

Can you explain three tries? Did you have to move tables or did they bring another waiter to you? 

Well, our first table was a 2 top next to another 2 top and the couple were not a friendly type.  Then the waiter and asst. waiter were a hot mess, so we stayed away the next night and spoke to someone about a second table.  They put us at a different set of waiters but it was a 2 top right along the main aisle for both passengers and going in and out of the galley.  I literally froze one formal night with a sheer wrap over my shoulders and arms.  We hated the location and the waiter didn't make a great impression either.  So the final try has us in an area adjacent to the aft windows at an empty table for 6.  We dine alone and there are a few other people nearby but not a lot.  The waiter Bobbie and asst. waiter Arifin are very, very nice and we enjoy talking and laughing with them.  We get our wine immediately.  I'm glad we found them because I don't like eating in the Lido every night for dinner.

4 hours ago, cricketcj1 said:

Thank you for posting this. We are on 1/3/23 74 nts. Can!t wait .Glad all is well.love all the pros &cons. Safe travels.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

4 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Thank you @StLouisCruisers for checking.  Hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful.  

I hope I get an update for you from the new FC Consultant.  If I do, I'll let you know.

4 hours ago, LBCABob said:

Sorry to be treating you like our own personal spy while you should be relaxing and enjoying the cruise, but about the big screen TV's:  OK, upgraded in Vista's, but what about your cabin (Inside or OV)?  I would think all cabins were upgraded X months ago but common sense and cruise lines are seldom found together.  And it's not like I'm going to cancel my booking if my cabin doesn't have one 😁.

One more thing: are you happy with the quality of the food?  Was on Zuiderdam last month and was rather disappointed (wide selection but just so-so quality).

Thanks for all your efforts on the behalf of us other CC folks!

We have an oceanview and this TV is a flat screen, 32" and it's placed on the shelf over the desk where the old type TV's used to be.  The one in our friend's Vista was on the wall across from the bed and much larger than ours.  They are on deck 7.

Food is so subjective, but we feel like the quality of the food is just fine.  No complaints with that.  Once in a while they disappoint by overcooking the chicken or salmon.  That was last night and I think they were surprised so many skipped first seating that they may have had some things sitting around too long.  We are/were in Manaus overnight so people didn't show up for dinner for first seating which they tell us is normally packed.  PLENTY of room at second seating as it is sparsely attended.

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Sandi, when do you get off? I will be there on the 17th. 

Linda, we get off on Dec. 17 when you are excitedly getting on your cruise.  I hope you and Nancy @ottahand7 get to meet at a M&G.  Have a wonderful time, both of you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hoping for some Christmas decoration soon on the Volendam.  So far we have only seen a gingerbread village set up in the atrium on deck 3. I realize this has been a unique itinerary and is 28 days long, but perhaps they will do some decorating in the Caribbean.  Otherwise it had better be in Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 17 which is way late in my opinion.  What is a holiday cruise without the holiday decor?

• Like 1