Live - Radiance of The Seas 12/1/22-12/10/22

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from AtSeaAlways! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

AtSeaAlways was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Looking out the 9th floor window from the Hotel Indigo Garden District, I can't see our ship - but Cruise Mapper says there is one. We are facing away from downtown. This blog would not start until we were actually here.  

We have been driving but it was a long trip and hotel expenses did add up.  So back to the air.  One rule - write this down - two days ahead is safe in 2022.  

Years ago a key constraint to cruising was vacation time.  Or school schedules.  The idea now after signing up for Social Security - why worry?  Prioritize!

Decisions needed to be made.  Price was key.  Insides were fine but the window and couch were a must.  A real promenade deck made our exercise schedule happen.  And dancing was key - not the kind you watch.  More than seven days was mandatory given all the prep and expense to get here.  

Miami has the best ports and lowest prices but who needs a long flight.  I did miss the MDR crew on Grandeur and the poolside dining esp. Mexican on Carnival.  

I did misplace my Cruise Critic badge lanyard.  A very poor person's press credential.  Pro Tip - a $20 bill carries far more weight on board :)   It was in a safe place LOL.  The final decision - Radiance could have a library - not so much on Grandeur - might have dancing - and to keep DW happier - some new ports.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When in New Orleans we are Garden District people.  It is quieter and calmer than Downtown.  Molly's is a go to breakfast place.  The streetcar (not trolley) is nearby- safe and authentic.  The Indigo was hopping.  Tommy in the bar / pub is a class act- he had more customers than any place for blocks.  We found several fabric stores nearby.  The hotel closest to the ship is the Hilton.  But it feels like and is a big convention venue. 

20221201_075854-01.jpeg

20221201_081110-01.jpeg

20221201_074043-01.jpeg

20221201_081116-01.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks AtSeaAlways for your willingness to post about your cruise on Radiance.   We will be on board beginning January 8th.  Looking forward for your take on everything.   You mind if I ask questions along the way of your cruise?

Yancycruiser

Edited by yancycruiser

Yes--- please keep posting/informing/sharing.  Our trip is December 17 same ship out of New Orleans. --  I want to know what's going on on the ship, entertainment, food, drinks, fun stuff, shows, etc.  Share! Share! Share!   Thank you!   Enjoy your trip!   Following along....... 🙂 🛳️

Thanks.  Boarding at 12 or so was effortless.  We got slowed down more by a woman pulling and tripping with heavy carry on luggage in flip flops on the many ramps.  New Orleans understands tourism and keeping things organized 🙂

The ship looks shiny and well polished.  Decorations were up.   Windjammer was a zoo but there were tables outside aft.  WJ beverages were not self serve.  My Time Dining on this ship opens at 645.  Earlier would be better.   Limited AC outlets in the room - 2 US, 2 Euro.   Pro Tip from DW- stop at your muster station as you board - you are on the correct deck already as you step on the ship. 

Modern mobile phones - you may need to un randomize your MAC address to get ship Wi Fi to work.  

20221201_133923-01.jpeg

20221201_123900-01.jpeg

Edited by AtSeaAlways
  • Like 3

We had a decent turnout for our CC meet and greet.  The 645 start for MTD seemed generally unpopular.  Dancing looks like a no in Centrum due to space, but there is a decent dance floor aft on 6.  Did not try to get into the MDR early - reports of a long line.  Windjammer was tidy and Ok - some Indian bits - Fish Curry and Saag Paneer 🙂 The posted sign and App disagreed on opening hours.   The MDR lines will all clear out tomorrow by magic.  Our Steward got points dropping off a paper Cruise Compass.  Packing Pro Tip from DW.  There is an epic yarn shop in New Orleans - The Quarter Stitch.

20221201_160023-01.jpeg

20221201_160300-01.jpeg

20221201_161828-01.jpeg

20221201_175948-01.jpeg

20221201_184132-01.jpeg

Top Notch the house band was just right.  The dance floor on six aft is lovely.  After that set was over we went up to Starquest where there is a decent sized round dance floor and worked on some patterns we forgot - you don't want to try in front of a group.  So far this also feels like a happy ship crew wise.  Lots of windows and well chosen art.   The early morning 0500 quest (there is no hint in the App) for coffee brought several us to the Park Cafe.  The next part - a quiet place - not so far.  The library nook - a no food or beverages sign.  On HAL - there is a coffee shop in the library.  The big poolside video screen uses vast electric power (100KW) and can be shut off at 2AM.  

20221201_191332.jpg

20221201_191321.jpg

20221201_191314.jpg

20221201_191259.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, yancycruiser said:

Been on these boards for about 25 years and so far your posts, pictures, menus, Compasses are the best I've seen.  I am 81 years old, married 59 years and truly enjoying your posts.  Thank you. 

Thank You 🙂

11 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

**** If you happen to meet Attaib or Esmeralda....Assistant waiters,

please tell them Steve and Nancy from Oregon say HI!

Thanks.....

Where would I find them?  I will keep an eye out.  Breakfast, lunch and no reservation MTD are good ways to meet a lot of MDR wait staff 🙂

33 minutes ago, AtSeaAlways said:

Where would I find them?  I will keep an eye out.  Breakfast, lunch and no reservation MTD are good ways to meet a lot of MDR wait staff 🙂

They both work in the MDR at dinner.  Both are likely in the Windjammer for at least one other meal.

They met on board and were married last February. Cute couple.

It took a while to get settled in today.  The cabins on this class of ship are nice.  Breakfast in the MDR was good but frenetic to start.  Three different asks if we needed coffee.  The music was too loud and the garland seemed a safety hazard on the stair railings.  

Lunch was back to soothing and good. We were impressed by our waiter- Patrick.

DW enjoyed Zumba and found us a shady nook on Twelve Port.  We have entered the realm of dietary restrictions and this was handled skillfully.

The Promenade goes all the way around if you count some stairs :).  

20221202_092023-02.jpeg

20221202_112129-01.jpeg

20221202_113051-01.jpeg

20221202_113922-01.jpeg

20221202_082332-01.jpeg

20221202_090026_02-01.jpeg

Edited by AtSeaAlways
  • Like 2

AtSeaAlways.... thank you.   Any themes happening?  Would love to know before my Dec 17 cruise.  My "kids" dd25, dd24, dd22 WANT to know... lol (ds20 will go with the flow!).  70s, white, Christmas?   is anything posted?  I know you are a 10 day and I'm only 7--- but maybe some similar themes.   Thank you. !

1 hour ago, LeeReads said:

AtSeaAlways.... thank you.   Any themes happening?  Would love to know before my Dec 17 cruise.  My "kids" dd25, dd24, dd22 WANT to know... lol (ds20 will go with the flow!).  70s, white, Christmas?   is anything posted?  I know you are a 10 day and I'm only 7--- but maybe some similar themes.   Thank you. !

I have not seen any.  There is a Western event in Centrum - which has about 100 square feet of open space. Windjammer had Greek last night 🙂 The house band did a good job on 50s/60s also last night - packed the large Colony venue.  Who knew the CD could sing 🙂

What we are supposed to eat is the nice market bowl at breakfast- olive oil and squash.  What ends up happening - the dessert bar.  The food gets a thumbs up.   I was missing the poolside Mexican on another line but was distracted by coconut cookies.

The MTD /MDR vibe is a little off still. We got exactly half our breakfast order.  But it is chill 🙂 On lesser lines the MDR is closed a lot.  We ran into a flash crowd at 750 PM.   They have a Diamond priority line.

We ended up well ashore in search of pliers -alicates- nothing sensible is sold in the port area.  Try to find a cell phone cable.  The Central Market is cute - a well stocked hardware store is there.  The town feels entirely safe.  Bring Pesos or credit cards out of the direct port area. The party whistle was in use at a well known bar in town.

20221203_084601-02.jpeg

20221203_095454-01.jpeg

20221203_095149-01.jpeg

20221203_100259-01.jpeg

20221203_100341-01.jpeg

20221203_100506-01.jpeg

20221203_101531-01.jpeg

20221203_101725-01.jpeg

20221203_103533-01.jpeg

20221203_101820-01.jpeg

Loving your review! We're boarding a sister to the Radiance, the Jewel, next week, so you're definitely whetting our appetite! 

Question... in regular balcony cabins, can you show a picture of what they have for shampoo, conditioner, and soap? Specifically... wondering if they use the shampoo/conditioner "2 in 1" combo that is just hideous... or do they have an actual conditioner? 

Thanks... and hope you continue to enjoy a glorious cruise!!

6 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

Loving your review! We're boarding a sister to the Radiance, the Jewel, next week, so you're definitely whetting our appetite! 

Question... in regular balcony cabins, can you show a picture of what they have for shampoo, conditioner, and soap? Specifically... wondering if they use the shampoo/conditioner "2 in 1" combo that is just hideous... or do they have an actual conditioner? 

Thanks... and hope you continue to enjoy a glorious cruise!!

Thanks.  These are nice ships.  We love being near the ocean and our window on 3.  We now have 3-5 foot seas, maybe 6-8s. The only place bumpy is the aft dance floor : ) 

Doty, who knows these things, says the balconies also have the 2 in 1.  DW says her hair is doing ok with what we get down there.  

Top Notch in the Centrum.  

20221203_201740.jpg

20221203_202631-01.jpeg

Edited by AtSeaAlways

Just now, texasts said:

Do they show any of the NFL or college football games on the giant poolside screen? Thanks again for all of your help!

I think this ship gets a set number of total channels - ESPN and ESPN2 and  some Soccer ones.  The number of oddball networks you need to follow football properly no - the games bounce around channels.  I was amazed we could ourselves stream CBS.com yesterday - a big game was not on ESPN.  The Grandeur showed a featured NFL game from ESPN on the bigscreen.  

Thanks for the info on the hair conditioner.. will definitely bring my own on! LOL! 

One more question... does the app give guests the ability to "chat" with each other while on board without having to invest in a wifi plan?

Thanks again 🙂