Viking cruise ship in a wheelchair

Ski Mom

Hello! I’m considering taking a cruise with Viking cruise line on their Great Western cruise. I have only cruised with Princess and Celebrity and they are both wonderful to travel with for people with physical disabilities. I understand that this trip is geared more to active adults but I love the itinerary and have always wanted to try a smaller ship. My question is how is Viking cruise line in general to travel with for people with physical disabilities. I can walk short distances with a cane but have trouble with stairs and do most of my transport in a wheelchair. Does Viking give any kind of assistance with boarding and do they give priority to people in wheelchairs or will that be all up to my husband. I know they do not have any accessible cabins on this ship but I have spoken to an agent from Viking and they can provide me with some items in my stateroom to help. I guess I was just wondering what your experience was with Viking and traveling as a person with disabilities or should I look into other options. Thank you for any insights you can provide.

47 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Octantis is showing two HC junior suites, but they probably booked early.  But the fact that there are two HC cabins should mean the rest of the vessel is accessible…. EM

Thank you for your response. Yes I was told that they have two junior suites that are accessible but they are 3,000 a person more which is out of my budget. I actually am working with a TA now who called their representative from there And I did get some more information. It is a ramp to board the ship but it’s up to us to board that the crew will not assist and there is no priority boarding for passengers with special needs. Other than that the ship has elevators, and is accessible to wheelchairs.

21 hours ago, Ski Mom said:

Thank you for your response. Yes I was told that they have two junior suites that are accessible but they are 3,000 a person more which is out of my budget. I actually am working with a TA now who called their representative from there And I did get some more information. It is a ramp to board the ship but it’s up to us to board that the crew will not assist and there is no priority boarding for passengers with special needs. Other than that the ship has elevators, and is accessible to wheelchairs.

You had written:

"...I know they do not have any accessible cabins on this ship but I have spoken to an agent from Viking and they can provide me with some items in my stateroom to help...."

In the future, you'll probably get the most useful answers if you don't announce something in a way that gives the rest of us an incorrect understanding of the situation.

If there *are* accessible cabins, regardless of whether they are available or too expensive or whatever, that is likely to be VERY different than if the ship really does not have ANY accessible cabins... especially in terms of how the ship and crew are likely to be prepared to assist passengers with disabilities or wheelchairs vs. perhaps not likely to be prepared...

And if you tell us that the ship does NOT have any accessible cabins, many of us are unlikely to "go check to see if you are correct".  We'll often/usually assume your information IS correct, and give answers accordingly.

Hope this helps in the future so you get the best possible information and help here on CC, and we hope that you are able to take the cruise and have a wonderful time! 🙂 

GC

23 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Octantis is showing two HC junior suites, but they probably booked early.  But the fact that there are two HC cabins should mean the rest of the vessel is accessible…. EM

Thank you Essie’s mom. I’m sorry if my response was misleading . I appreciate your information and when I originally posted I was under the impression that there were no accessible staterooms on the Expedition trips based on my conversation with the first representative I spoke to. I then spoke to another representative and he told me that there were accessible suites available. I tried to edit the post but it was too late. I appreciate you and everyone else on CC talking the time to research and I will try to word my responses and questions differently in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with Viking is they are not very welcoming to those of us with disabilities.  I found that out when I called them to inquire as to whether they could accommodate me and my mobility scooter.  I was firmly told no.  No scooters at all, only wheelchairs or walkers.  When I politely pressed the issue, I was told Viking appeals to very active passengers and there would be nothing for a fully disabled person.  I reminded the woman that Viking should rethink their policy because if they want to cruise into or out of US ports, the disabled must be accommodated.  They now accept scooters, but greatly limit the number allowed on board

We were on a Viking ship a few years ago (ocean).  We were told no scooters, but there were at least 1 (maybe 2).  They were the small, lightweight type (think Travelscoot).  Everything else about the ship was extremely disabled friendly.  Best we’ve cruised yet.  I pushed my husband around in a transfer chair, and it worked fine.  He probably preferred that to a scooter anyway.  

On 12/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, kitty9 said:

My problem with Viking is they are not very welcoming to those of us with disabilities.  I found that out when I called them to inquire as to whether they could accommodate me and my mobility scooter.  I was firmly told no.  No scooters at all, only wheelchairs or walkers.  When I politely pressed the issue, I was told Viking appeals to very active passengers and there would be nothing for a fully disabled person.  I reminded the woman that Viking should rethink their policy because if they want to cruise into or out of US ports, the disabled must be accommodated.  They now accept scooters, but greatly limit the number allowed on board

Thank you for your input kitty9. That’s the exact impression I got when I called them. Which surprised me because a lot of their passengers are older adults and I would think some of them have special needs. I was told there was no priority given to wheelchair passengers on embarkation day and they would in no way assist us in pushing my wheelchair up the ramp. I will be traveling with my husband and he is perfectly capable with doing that but it is nice to know there is help if needed. I’ve cruised with both Celebrity and Princess lines and they go above and beyond for their disabled travelers. I guess it was silly for me to assume that Viking would do the same. Maybe because they are not an American cruise company. Well now I know and have just booked a cruise with American Cruise lines on the Columbia and Snake River. So far they have been very helpful in meeting the accommodations I will need. I’m looking forward to it and can’t wait to report back after my cruise in July.

On 12/17/2022 at 11:28 PM, dcsam said:

We were on a Viking ship a few years ago (ocean).  We were told no scooters, but there were at least 1 (maybe 2).  They were the small, lightweight type (think Travelscoot).  Everything else about the ship was extremely disabled friendly.  Best we’ve cruised yet.  I pushed my husband around in a transfer chair, and it worked fine.  He probably preferred that to a scooter anyway.  

Thank you for your response and feedback on Viking .

• 2 weeks later...

I have been interested in the Viking Great Lakes cruise as well but have not called to check on how accommodating they are.  We did a Viking cruise in Europe before I became disabled by stroke about three years ago.(I actually had the stroke while on a cruise!)funny how you never notice accommodations when you are able bodied! I have looked at the river cruise like you are taking and they sound more promising; i am very excited to hear about your trip after your cruise! Were your cruises on princes and celebrity before or after you became disabled?  We were avid cruisers and I’m not ready to give it up! Good luck to you and kudos for your adventurous spirit!

14 hours ago, shernor said:

I have been interested in the Viking Great Lakes cruise as well but have not called to check on how accommodating they are.  We did a Viking cruise in Europe before I became disabled by stroke about three years ago.(I actually had the stroke while on a cruise!)funny how you never notice accommodations when you are able bodied! I have looked at the river cruise like you are taking and they sound more promising; i am very excited to hear about your trip after your cruise! Were your cruises on princes and celebrity before or after you became disabled?  We were avid cruisers and I’m not ready to give it up! Good luck to you and kudos for your adventurous spirit!

Hello! Thank you for your response! I have decided to book a River cruise with American Cruise Lines on the Columbia Snake River.They are a smaller ship and can pull right up to the dock therefore avoiding tender ports. They welcome people with physical disabilities and also have buses that they use on their excursions that have lifts and priority seating for people who need them. They do have accessible staterooms but they are limited but are willing to provide items to a regular stateroom to make it more accessible. It definitely doesn’t sound as regal as Viking or the larger cruise lines but we’re going to try this more laid back way of cruising. At this time American Cruise Lines does not have a great Great Lakes cruise on their roster but plans on adding one in the future. I believe Pearl Seas cruises which is owned by ACL offers a Great Lake cruise but I don’t know anything about it.
     After talking to Viking they advised me that the expedition cruises are geared more towards active travelers and their wouldn’t be much as far as shore excursions for me and that I should look into one of their ocean cruises. It’s a bummer because I think the Great Lakes itinerary looks like something I would love to do! They also told me that they would not assist in any way with helping me on and off the ship. I use a transport wheelchair when I travel and my husband is perfectly capable of pushing my wheelchair but when I cruised with both Princess and Celebrity they went above and beyond to assist us getting on and off the ship. I guess I thought all cruise lines were like that but unfortunately Viking is not. Hope that helps!

Edited by Ski Mom

I travel on Viking ocean with a wheelchair, no problems at all, equivilent to staying in a hotel. 

The expedition ships are a different case, they are designed to operate somewhere there are no ports, hence zodiacs rather than tenders. 

Their target demographic is different to the resort ship crowd favoured by celebrity and carnival, they do aim for independent active people. The product is very different

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 12:54 AM, Ski Mom said:

Hello! Thank you for your response! I have decided to book a River cruise with American Cruise Lines on the Columbia Snake River.They are a smaller ship and can pull right up to the dock therefore avoiding tender ports. They welcome people with physical disabilities and also have buses that they use on their excursions that have lifts and priority seating for people who need them. They do have accessible staterooms but they are limited but are willing to provide items to a regular stateroom to make it more accessible. It definitely doesn’t sound as regal as Viking or the larger cruise lines but we’re going to try this more laid back way of cruising. At this time American Cruise Lines does not have a great Great Lakes cruise on their roster but plans on adding one in the future. I believe Pearl Seas cruises which is owned by ACL offers a Great Lake cruise but I don’t know anything about it.
     After talking to Viking they advised me that the expedition cruises are geared more towards active travelers and their wouldn’t be much as far as shore excursions for me and that I should look into one of their ocean cruises. It’s a bummer because I think the Great Lakes itinerary looks like something I would love to do! They also told me that they would not assist in any way with helping me on and off the ship. I use a transport wheelchair when I travel and my husband is perfectly capable of pushing my wheelchair but when I cruised with both Princess and Celebrity they went above and beyond to assist us getting on and off the ship. I guess I thought all cruise lines were like that but unfortunately Viking is not. Hope that helps!

Please do review your cruise back here! I have been looking at the Columbia, Snake or both for awhile. I believe Pearl line goes around most of the Great Lakes but after the warmer weather ends they head up past Quebec and sail along the east coast and does the coastal areas of the Mid-Atlantic before heading to the Gulf of Mexico for the much warmer winters. The American Cruise Lines uses 2 of their paddle wheel type ships from St Paul, MN down to Saint Louis, MO then Saint Louis, MO to New Orleans. We saw one of their ships at dock in LaCrosse, WI. If you are more of a gourmand than the ship serves there are at least 3 very decent restaurants within an easy walk or roll including one French. The best part of the area from Saint Paul to about Dubuque is why we often go up the Great River Road. I would love sneak peaks of HC suites including bathrooms.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:10 PM, NorthernLite said:

Please do review your cruise back here! I have been looking at the Columbia, Snake or both for awhile. I believe Pearl line goes around most of the Great Lakes but after the warmer weather ends they head up past Quebec and sail along the east coast and does the coastal areas of the Mid-Atlantic before heading to the Gulf of Mexico for the much warmer winters. The American Cruise Lines uses 2 of their paddle wheel type ships from St Paul, MN down to Saint Louis, MO then Saint Louis, MO to New Orleans. We saw one of their ships at dock in LaCrosse, WI. If you are more of a gourmand than the ship serves there are at least 3 very decent restaurants within an easy walk or roll including one French. The best part of the area from Saint Paul to about Dubuque is why we often go up the Great River Road. I would love sneak peaks of HC suites including bathrooms.

Hello ! Thank you for your response! Unfortunately I have already committed to American Cruise Lines Columbia Snake River cruise but I will definitely check out what Pearl Seas has to offer!

I did peak at their website and trips and they do offer some great options to tour the Great Lakes including a Niagara Falls option! So thank you for that information!

I will definitely report back about my trip and cabin for you because that was the information that I was most concerned about because of my limited mobility and how accessible the cabin and bathroom was.