So I have a 9-9:30 am check-in. Is that good?

Sigyn

I did my 21-day check-in at midnight and snagged a 9-9:30 am check in window for our cruise on Dec. 23. But is that any good? I'm not Haven or Platinum so I can't board early and I read that boarding doesn't begin until noon. 

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

I did my 21-day check-in at midnight and snagged a 9-9:30 am check in window for our cruise on Dec. 23. But is that any good? I'm not Haven or Platinum so I can't board early and I read that boarding doesn't begin until noon. 

I like to get there that early, drop off my luggage, check in and relax. Enjoy people watching and always seem to run into someone I know from past cruises. Boarding will usually start sometime after 11 and if you have Boarding group 1 or 2, you should be onboard enjoying your first cocktail and lunch before noon.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I like to get there that early, drop off my luggage, check in and relax. Enjoy people watching and always seem to run into someone I know from past cruises. Boarding will usually start sometime after 11 and if you have Boarding group 1 or 2, you should be onboard enjoying your first cocktail and lunch before noon.

Enjoy your cruise.

This is very helpful. Thank you! I'm on the Prima and I've also read that people need to board early to book the entertainment. 

• Like 1

The early bird catches the worm, as soon as you enter the ship, book the entertainment shows.

Your check in is at  9-9:30, after you check in , you go to a waiting area and actually board the ship around 11:30 am.

• Like 1

The check in time (arguably) doesn't matter, but getting to the terminal at nine-ish and checking in at the counter early does.  It gets you into an earlier boarding group.  If you are Platinum or above, it doesn't matter because you are invited to board before group one.

• Like 1

I have never seen a check in time that early either. I picked noon for our Prima sailing on the 11th. Just got off the Encore on Nov. 20 and while we checked in at 10:15 a.m. (our time was 12:30 p.m.), we sat and waited. The ship was delayed with disembarkation. Finally got called at 12:50 p.m as a platinum Latitudes. At least the cabin was already ready when we got onboard at 1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  how much earlier does one get to board if one has a checkin time of 0930 versus a checkin time of 1130?  I doubt it's two hours earlier.

I think the lines grow as time goes by. We always get there by 9 to be sitting down for lunch at noon. Cabins open up around the time we are done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I think the lines grow as time goes by. We always get there by 9 to be sitting down for lunch at noon. Cabins open up around the time we are done.

I think it varies by port.

On our last cruise we arrrived at NOLA at our scheduled checkin time of 0930.  Everyone, regardless of priority, had to stand in one very long line to clear security before they could actually check in.  The waiting area was full so I don't believe they were even checking more people in.  The security line started slowly moving around 1030.  We didn't get to the Haven check in until well after 1100.  Once we did the Haven check in we were on board within 10 minutes.

We're on Breakaway again in March.  We believe we will be much more comfortable in our hotel room than we would be standing in that line again at the port.  We don't intend to leave the hotel until 1100.

NOLA has a reputation for being a disaster.  Disembarkation was a breeze.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I think it varies by port.

On our last cruise we arrrived at NOLA at our scheduled checkin time of 0930.  Everyone, regardless of priority, had to stand in one very long line to clear security before they could actually check in.  The waiting area was full so I don't believe they were even checking more people in.  The security line started slowly moving around 1030.  We didn't get to the Haven check in until well after 1100.  Once we did the Haven check in we were on board within 10 minutes.

We're on Breakaway again in March.  We believe we will be much more comfortable in our hotel room than we would be standing in that line again at the port.  We don't intend to leave the hotel until 1100.

NOLA has a reputation for being a disaster.  Disembarkation was a breeze.

We sail out of nyc, the last time we sailed out of there on the breakaway there wasn’t a seat left by 10 am. Boarding didn’t start until almost noon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We sail out of nyc, the last time we sailed out of there on the breakaway there wasn’t a seat left by 10 am. Boarding didn’t start until almost noon.

When do you think you would board if you arrived at noon?

I'm just looking for opinions. I'm struggling with the best time to get to the port which I know may vary by port.  

• Like 1

I generally prefer an earlier check-in but that's because I always need to be early for everything 🙂  After I'm checked-in at the pier, I usually find a seat and catch up on my phone while I wait to board.  This also gets me on the ship first so I can do whatever time critical things I need to do (muster check-in, registering for shows/meals, getting a drink and/or bite to eat, etc.)

But it's mostly a matter of personal preference.  If you don't have Haven or Platinum status, you're going to queue up with everyone, so some prefer to go later to allow the opening crush to board.  The advantage to this is, once you're onboard, you can often go directly to your room, assuming you check in late enough that they're ready when you board.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

If you don't have Haven or Platinum status, you're going to queue up with everyone, so some prefer to go later to allow the opening crush to board.  The advantage to this is, once you're onboard, you can often go directly to your room, assuming you check in late enough that they're ready when you board.

Thank  you for your response.  

BTW, priority boarding depends upon the port.

Some ports (miami) do it well.

NOLA puts everyone in one gigantic line to clear security.  

I estimate the line was a block or a block and a half long when we arrived at 0930.  And, It didn't start moving until about 1045.

• Like 1

Arrived at the pier at 12:30 for the October 15th Prima. There was absolutely no line whatsoever for check in and we walked right on the ship. Used to think arriving early was the way to go, but always hated sitting around waiting for the ship to be cleared, but this latest embarkation experience has changed that view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank  you for your response.  

BTW, priority boarding depends upon the port.

Never went out of NOLA.  I'm sure some ports are much better than others, especially internationally.  But thankfully, my last few embarcations were smooth:

• NYC -- Had a special section for Haven.  Also for Platinum, albeit on the far end of the pier.  No line and not a difficult process
  • Miami -- First time out of the new terminal over the Summer.  Slight problem getting through security (guys, that's my CPAP!)  Otherwise smooth.
  • LA -- This was last December, the last sailing before masks came back.  There was COVID testing, then we waited in this tent area until we could enter the actual terminal.  Once we got in the terminal, it was fine.  The hassle beforehand was understandable considering COVID was still a Thing but I still remember the stress around waiting for the antigen test results!

I always attempt to get to the port between Noon and 12:30.  I generally stay near the airport the night before, and schedule the 11:00 pickup with the shuttle company I use.  All the lines are gone by then.  I can get right on the ship.  And by the time I've had lunch, the rooms are ready.  On my last cruise, I got on the ship around 12:30 and the rooms were already ready.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, phillygwm said:
  • NYC -- Had a special section for Haven.  Also for Platinum, albeit on the far end of the pier.  No line and not a difficult process

We have never sailed out of NYC but are going to sail out in March and we have a few issues so as much info you can give is greatly appreciated.  I am mobility challenged and hubby is for the most part blind so could you let us know the following:

We are going to get a taxi or uber and I assume they will know where to drop us off but once they do where do we go?  Some ports are great at pointing us to the Haven line up but some we had difficulties finding it.  So, once we get dropped do we go through security and then find the Haven check-in?  Is it clearly marked or have people directing where to go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseat50 said:

We are going to get a taxi or uber and I assume they will know where to drop us off but once they do where do we go?  Some ports are great at pointing us to the Haven line up but some we had difficulties finding it.  So, once we get dropped do we go through security and then find the Haven check-in?  Is it clearly marked or have people directing where to go?

One of my friends who cruised with me is mobility challenged as well.  He can walk, just not long distances without resting.  So he walked to where we checked-in but then requested assistance so they had someone wheel him onboard.  It's actually a fair walk zigzagging up the gangway so he appreciated the assistance and used it in a number of ports as well.  Same with disembarkation; people needing assistance assembled centrally (The Local on the Joy.)  That's the kind of thing Special Needs request forms are for, though I don't believe he completed one so it's not like you can't get assistance if you don't.  They may have had wheelchairs around the security checkpoint -- or you can bring your own if needed -- but I can't say with certainty where because my friend walked it.  

The logistics in NY aren't bad.  Your taxi/Uber driver should know basically where to go.  Our guy didn't know exactly but he followed the signs once he got in the general vicinity and we got there OK.  There are porters curbside who will take your bags.  IIRC, there were NCL staff before the security checkpoint to answer any questions/concerns.  There certainly were after the metal detector.  The signage for Haven was well marked.  I saw it and wasn't seeking it out.  We're Platinum but were not Haven, so our check-in station was NOT as well marked, but we were directed there easily enough. 

Hope this helps!

On 12/2/2022 at 9:10 PM, njsmom said:

Boarding starts once the ship is cleared from the previous sailing.  There is no set time for boarding to start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Boarding starts once the ship is cleared from the previous sailing.  There is no set time for boarding to start.

This is true, However this is not NCL's first rodeo. Baring any unforeseen event, boarding will begin at around 11am. plus or minus 30 min. 

56 minutes ago, masterty said:

This is true, However this is not NCL's first rodeo. Baring any unforeseen event, boarding will begin at around 11am. plus or minus 30 min. 

If the ship docks on time
If debarkation starts on time

Depending on the time the ship is due to arrive at the port
Like I said there is no set time for embarkation to start, especially not "general" embarkation which after all of the groups (however many happen to be in group) such as Haven Guests, ADA guests, CAS guests, and general VIPs to name a few.

12 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I always attempt to get to the port between Noon and 12:30.  I generally stay near the airport the night before, and schedule the 11:00 pickup with the shuttle company I use.  All the lines are gone by then.  I can get right on the ship.  And by the time I've had lunch, the rooms are ready.  On my last cruise, I got on the ship around 12:30 and the rooms were already ready.

what port is that?

10 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

NOLA is the worst port I have ever sailed from. Unorganized, chaotic, rude staff (port staff, not NCL). Which is too bad because it is a wonderful city.  It will take a lot to ever get me to cruise from there again.

The reason we're going back is we loved Breakaway and NOLA is the easiest port for us to drive too.  Only six hours versus 14 or so to the florida ports.  We avoid flying if at all possible.