Examples of premium spirits?

Woodrowst

My wife and I have booked our first Seabourn cruise and we are eagerly looking forward to it.   Would those of you who are experienced Seabourn cruisers be able to share examples (or a list) of premium spirits that incur an extra charge?  I am not so much interested in wine - spirits (gin, whiskey, and liqueurs) are my beverages of choice - in moderation of course.    Would something like Hendricks gin be considered a premium spirit?

I could not find this information in a search of the forum or the Seabourn website, so your help is appreciated.

David

Hello David, welcome to Seabourn.

Hendricks has  been available as an included brand across the fleet, along with e.g Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire etc. However we haven't been onboard since Covid so it's possible the situation has changed recently. Hopefully cruisers who have been on SB recently will be able to confirm.

I'm not a gin drinker so I can't say which brands are actually on the premium list. 

Hi David.  If you have the the Source app downloaded, you can find the drinks list.  On the Observation list (which should be the same as other venues except for the "celebrity cocktails" which vary by venue) the complementary gins are Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's, Tanqueray No. Ten, and Beefeaters.  No premium (revenue) gins listed; Monkey 47 was listed on a list we have from 2016.  You can request any of the complementary spirits for your suite.

There are various single malts and bourbons on the included list, however the actual inventory onboard changes almost every voyage, depending on provisioning ability.  We do not have experience with the revenue spirits.  If you cannot find the info on the Source, ask us about specific liquors.

It appears that Isklaar types faster than we do.

Iskalaar and FlyingScotSailors-

Thank you both for your helpful posts.  

FSS - I downloaded the Seabourn Source app but can't find the Observation list you mentioned.  Can you point me to it?  I did find the wine list under "Experiences" and then "Dining and Drinks" but there is no accompanying list for spirits.

You also were nice enough to say that I could follow up with a list.  You took care of my favorite gin - Hendricks.  Can you tell me if Chartreuse and Sambuca are on the premium list (or if available at all)?

David, did you scroll down to page 4 of the Observation drinks list?

There was a very old Chartreuse on the revenue list but we believe the standard expressions are included.  Pretty sure there is Sambuca; you could request a bottle for your suite in advance.  We sometimes drink sauterne or port with dessert.  Worst case, you will have to drink anisette. 🙃

On 12/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, FlyingScotSailors said:

David, did you scroll down to page 4 of the Observation drinks list?

There was a very old Chartreuse on the revenue list but we believe the standard expressions are included.  Pretty sure there is Sambuca; you could request a bottle for your suite in advance.  We sometimes drink sauterne or port with dessert.  Worst case, you will have to drink anisette. 🙃

I hate to sound like such a digital non-native, but I cannot find an observations drinks list on the app.  There are five links listed across the bottom of the screen: Home, Plan, Experiences, Connect, and Account.   I explored all of the five links but could not find any observation drink list.   The observation lounge is not even listed in the food and beverage section of the app.   Any chance you could give me specific instructions to get to the observation drinks list?   Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

I hate to sound like such a digital non-native, but I cannot find an observations drinks list on the app.  There are five links listed across the bottom of the screen: Home, Plan, Experiences, Connect, and Account.   I explored all of the five links but could not find any observation drink list.   The observation lounge is not even listed in the food and beverage section of the app.   Any chance you could give me specific instructions to get to the observation drinks list?   Thanks!

The “Gourmet Dining” section has “view more” in small blue letters. If you click on that it takes you to a much bigger section with lots of options to view.

3 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

From the five links, hit the middle one "Experiences", then hit the "Dining & Drinks" link.  (This will get you to the same screen that margbem's suggestion below takes you to;  you just have to scroll down the Home screen to find “Gourmet Dining” and “view more”.)

Now, under Lounges, hit either The Club and scroll down to the "Club Menu" button or Observation Lounge and the "Drinks Menu" button.  Scroll through the pages to find the various lists.

Do not be afraid to come back here and ask more!

2 hours ago, margbem said:

The “Gourmet Dining” section has “view more” in small blue letters. If you click on that it takes you to a much bigger section with lots of options to view.

Hi

I am also new to Seabourn.

Are the craft cocktails in the menus included? If I ask for a mojito by the pool, is that included? Aperol spritz? If I ask for a drink that is not in the menus, will they cost extras? Will the staff inform when ordering? 

1 hour ago, Frodie said:

Hi

Are the craft cocktails in the menus included? If I ask for a mojito by the pool, is that included? Aperol spritz? If I ask for a drink that is not in the menus, will they cost extras? Will the staff inform when ordering? 

Thanks 🙂

Yes, both of those would be included.  Drinks don’t cost extra until you get into ultra premium liquor or higher end wines.  Here is a picture of the pool bar.  Everything on the bottom shelves is included.  Not positive about the very top shelf.  We drink vodka and all premium vodkas are included.

2C485624-85D6-4188-A2B1-23587F4A5F48.jpeg

• Like 1

Our experience is that they do have a pretty good selection of many premium booze brands.  This has been somewhat mitigated by shortages and deliveries that miss the ships.  When we were on the Ovation during a 27 day crossing, we ran out of many popular Bourbon brands after about 1 week.  At one point Wild Turkey was about all that was available in the Observation Lounge.  They were able to get some additonal stock/brands once we reached Europe.   We have never been overly impressed by the Seabourn's "wine by the glass" selection.  Drinkable?  Yes.  Premium?  Generally, no.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Our experience is that they do have a pretty good selection of many premium booze brands.  This has been somewhat mitigated by shortages and deliveries that miss the ships.  When we were on the Ovation during a 27 day crossing, we ran out of many popular Bourbon brands after about 1 week.  At one point Wild Turkey was about all that was available in the Observation Lounge.  They were able to get some additonal stock/brands once we reached Europe.   We have never been overly impressed by the Seabourn's "wine by the glass" selection.  Drinkable?  Yes.  Premium?  Generally, no.

Hank

Totally agree on the shortages issue.  Last year on COvation, The Holiday Cruise, we ran out of every premium vodka; of course, we also ran out of bartenders!  On the April and August cruises, there was a shortage of Tito’s.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:09 PM, FlyingScotSailors said:

Hi David.  If you have the the Source app downloaded, you can find the drinks list.  On the Observation list (which should be the same as other venues except for the "celebrity cocktails" which vary by venue) the complementary gins are Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's, Tanqueray No. Ten, and Beefeaters.  No premium (revenue) gins listed; Monkey 47 was listed on a list we have from 2016.  You can request any of the complementary spirits for your suite.

There are various single malts and bourbons on the included list, however the actual inventory onboard changes almost every voyage, depending on provisioning ability.  We do not have experience with the revenue spirits.  If you cannot find the info on the Source, ask us about specific liquors.

It appears that Isklaar types faster than we do.

Hi 

We are also 1st Seabourn . Just looking at the observation list..there appears to be only 4 white and 4 red wines that are complimentary….it that the complete choice or will there be more offered ? we like a New Zealand Sauvignon blanc…is it likely we would have to pay extra for that? 

5 hours ago, Frodie said:

Hi

Thanks 🙂

Virtually any drink or cocktail will be included, and you should be asked if something would have an extra charge.  Once in the Observation Lounge I asked for a blood and sand.  The bartender asked if I meant the $29 "Blue Blood and Sand cocktail.  I said no, an included scotch was fine, rather than the Johnnie Walker Blue. 

3 hours ago, LMB01 said:

Yes, both of those would be included.  Drinks don’t cost extra until you get into ultra premium liquor or higher end wines.  Here is a picture of the pool bar.  Everything on the bottom shelves is included.  Not positive about the very top shelf.  

That top shelf included too.

20 minutes ago, janieb1962 said:

Hi 

We are also 1st Seabourn . Just looking at the observation list..there appears to be only 4 white and 4 red wines that are complimentary….it that the complete choice or will there be more offered ? we like a New Zealand Sauvignon blanc…is it likely we would have to pay extra for that? 

There are more choices than those eight.  You can search this Board for previously posted included lists.  The actual availability on board varies from cruise to cruise, and sometimes during a cruise, depending on supply and delivery, (and on how much the guests drink!).

Ask the Sommelier for a list of the included wines when you board.  It usually takes a day for the new deliveries to be checked and added to the list.  There is almost always a NZ Sauvi B or two.

26 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

There are more choices than those eight.  You can search this Board for previously posted included lists.  The actual availability on board varies from cruise to cruise, and sometimes during a cruise, depending on supply and delivery, (and on how much the guests drink!).

Ask the Sommelier for a list of the included wines when you board.  It usually takes a day for the new deliveries to be checked and added to the list.  There is almost always a NZ Sauvi B or two.

Great, thanks for the info .

I do not recall if they were pouring a NZ Sauvignon Blanc at the Observation Bar (our normal hang out) but they did offer that (and perhaps another) in the Restaurant and Collonade.  When you go to your chosen bar the first evening ask for a sauvignon blanc from NZ.  If they do not have anything than you can ask the bartender if they can possibly keep some at that bar.  It is very likely that your wish will be granted.  One thing we have learned about SB is that if you want something, just ask.  If your request is reasonable and can be done, you will likely get your wish.

Hank

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We are new to SB as well. We also enjoy premium wines. So two questions.  Are we able to jump up to a different wine package at a cost? And then, can we bring what wine we want on board - with or without corkage fees? Thanks much 

19 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We are new to SB as well. We also enjoy premium wines. So two questions.  Are we able to jump up to a different wine package at a cost? And then, can we bring what wine we want on board - with or without corkage fees? Thanks much 

I do not know the corkage rules (we never brought wine aboard).  But on SB they do have a decent wine list of quality wines and we ordered several decent bottles when dining in the Thomas Keller grill.  But you cannot get these high-end wines by the glass.  

Hank

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

They do have wine packages though if new to Seabourn I would wait onboard and get the included wine list before buying a package. We do buy a package but we tend to do long cruises so want to have more choice.

Yes you can bring wine onboard and have done so especially in Europe. There is no added charge for doing so.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, FlyingScotSailors said:

From the five links, hit the middle one "Experiences", then hit the "Dining & Drinks" link.  (This will get you to the same screen that margbem's suggestion below takes you to;  you just have to scroll down the Home screen to find “Gourmet Dining” and “view more”.)

Now, under Lounges, hit either The Club and scroll down to the "Club Menu" button or Observation Lounge and the "Drinks Menu" button.  Scroll through the pages to find the various lists.

On 12/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, FlyingScotSailors said:

This is really strange.  I must have a different version of the app than you have.  When I get to lounges there is no button/picture/listing for the Observation Lounge.  When I click on The Club it simply gives a one sentence description of the lounge with no "club menu" button.  One hint as to what is going on is that it says "The Club - Venture" so it must be linking to my reservation on the Venture.  And maybe they haven't set up the drinks list yet for the Venture version of the app.    

2 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

This is really strange.  I must have a different version of the app than you have.  When I get to lounges there is no button/picture/listing for the Observation Lounge.  When I click on The Club it simply gives a one sentence description of the lounge with no "club menu" button.  One hint as to what is going on is that it says "The Club - Venture" so it must be linking to my reservation on the Venture.  And maybe they haven't set up the drinks list yet for the Venture version of the app.    

I think the Venture and soon to come Pursuit do not have an "Observation Lounge."  It looks like the closest thing on the Venture is their Constellation Lounge.  There is also no Thomas Keller Grills on the two exploration ships.  As to the App,......well Seabourn's app is about as good as the apps on most cruise lines which is to say "bloody awful."

Hank

On 12/7/2022 at 3:13 AM, Hlitner said:

I do not know the corkage rules (we never brought wine aboard).  But on SB they do have a decent wine list of quality wines and we ordered several decent bottles when dining in the Thomas Keller grill.  But you cannot get these high-end wines by the glass.  

Hank

There are very good top wines available by the glass in TK Grill.

The Corovin system used allows them to pour a glass and keep the bottle to sell from going forward.

I have a Corovin at home but generally the bottle that I choose to drink from rarely leaves any juice in the bottle at the end of the meal.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1