Not serving Alcohol while in Gibraltar

Misself

We were on the Norwegian Star in November, also sailed out of Lisbon for a transatlantic to Rio. We're also from the UK and had the free at sea drinks package.

At our stop in Cadiz, we had to pay 10% tax on ALL drinks (including soft drinks) even though we had the drinks package. Was a little bit surprised, had never heard of the taxes on drinks in Spanish ports thing up until this cruise (and we did a med cruise on Princess in October 2021 which included Spanish ports and paid no extra charges with our drinks package). We then had stops in Lanzarote and Tenerife, both Spanish (but I don't know if the Canary Islands have different rules?) and no extra tax to pay for anyone.

Once we got into Brazilian waters there was 25% charges on everything bought, including in the shops, but if you had a drinks package this didn't count on drinks included in your package (thank goodness!).

All in all, very unexpected. From reading other posts on this thread I have no idea if we should have been paying the 10% charge in Cadiz on our drinks package drinks as we live and booked in the UK. Would love to know, as we've recently booked a transatlantic for October on Getaway from Southampton to New York, and this includes 2 mainland Spain ports.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, xxsamoakesxx said:

thank you for attaching this - I’ve sent that across to the VP as well, she usually gets back in touch within 24 hours so I’ll let you know her stance on things 🙂  

Looks like that 24 hour window didn't quite work out, eh? 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 3:41 PM, Ladyshopper23 said:

All in all, very unexpected. From reading other posts on this thread I have no idea if we should have been paying the 10% charge in Cadiz on our drinks package drinks as we live and booked in the UK. Would love to know, as we've recently booked a transatlantic for October on Getaway from Southampton to New York, and this includes 2 mainland Spain ports.

As I said earlier, I have never seen any indication that where you booked the cruise has any impact on paying tax on drinks (whether using the beverage package or not).

I have been to various ports around the world where tax is charged, and have never known a situation where we were exempted from paying it due to booking in the UK.

What is much more random is whether tax will be charged to anyone at all. Sometimes in Spain it has been charged and sometimes it hasn’t, in my experience. I’ve not sailed in Spain since 2019 though, so don’t have up to date information on that.

It has always been a wait and see thing for us.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

had a response from NCL. They are saying as I had prepaid drinks package I should NOT have been taxed in Spain and are refunding the $ that I paid in tax. 

still no explanation re Gibraltar but are saying it was until 6pm although on our cruise it was not until 8.30pm (after dinner).that they were allowed to serve.

Edited by Misself
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Misself said:

UPDATE

had a response from NCL. They are saying as I had prepaid drinks package I should NOT have been taxed in Spain and are refunding the $ that I paid in tax. 

still no explanation re Gibraltar but are saying it was until 6pm although on our cruise it was not until 8.30pm (after dinner).that they were allowed to serve.

That makes sense.  If your charged 10% VAT on something that costs 0.00 Euro that is 0.00.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 9:44 PM, Misself said:

UPDATE

Hi. Hopefully Misself, the poster will receive this. NCL are now charging the 10% tax to passengers with drinks packages. And I am fighting them on the basis that it is against UK regs. Really need to contact you as their surcharge policy has gone crazy. Please contact me at nclcruising66@gmail.com

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

Hi. Hopefully Misself, the poster will receive this. NCL are now charging the 10% tax to passengers with drinks packages. And I am fighting them on the basis that it is against UK regs. Really need to contact you as their surcharge policy has gone crazy. Please contact me at nclcruising66@gmail.com

Emailed you