Not serving Alcohol while in Gibraltar

Misself

36 minutes ago, Misself said:

I can imagine.  Like I was told i was totally wrong in saying I’d never paid Spanish tax on UPB included drinks on any of my 6 previous cruises.  The manager was adamant he was right and I was wrong.

here is the evidence of our no booze in Gibraltar .

50619617-666E-410B-A8CF-F0580F131167.jpeg

thank you for attaching this - I’ve sent that across to the VP as well, she usually gets back in touch within 24 hours so I’ll let you know her stance on things 🙂  

6 hours ago, njkate said:

I would imagine if it was some kind of rule/law in Gibraltar it would be for all cruises

Sounds like NCL doesn't want to pay up for whatever they are asking...my guess is it's easier to punish the cruiser than it is to punish their (NCL's) pocket book.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Catchum said:

Good information / reminder. Thank you - we have a Spain / Portugal / TA in a couple of days. We always take rum runners and a funnel - not to smuggle in booze but to store a couple of glasses each in the cabin in case of emergency (it is surprising how often this happens!) . We will make sure they are topped up before getting too close to land.

I love that idea. I may have to pick up a couple of rum runners to take next cruise. No need to pay for minibar or room service for a drink in the room. 

16 hours ago, Misself said:

I can imagine.  Like I was told i was totally wrong in saying I’d never paid Spanish tax on UPB included drinks on any of my 6 previous cruises.  The manager was adamant he was right and I was wrong.

So Kevin Martinez would probably be able to give your travel agent some good information.  Use the mhbland email.  

21 hours ago, Misself said:

just to let you know the UK VP has emailed to advise she is currently reviewing what’s happened with the teams.

so I’ll update once I get a response re the issues 🙂 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the Norwegian Sun now (2nd January 2023) in Gibraltar and they have told us no alcohol before 6pm? We don't sail till 8pm so I don't understand why they have made this rule. 

It can't be a rule from the port as it would mean no alcohol till we sail. 

Im going to ask the customer services and see what they say

Also agree with the person who pointed out the negative impact the lack of wine would have should you have a nice specialty restaurant booked that evening.  French and Italian food just call for wine, as does a good steak.  Can't quite get enthused about drinking soda pop in those circumstances!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s interesting about the not before 6pm, and as you say doesn’t make sense if it’s a supposedly port regulation. 

Our groups complaint is still with NCL and hopefully should hear something soon as it’s been nearly 30 days.   Will keep you posted as to their reply (and if they provide any sort of explanation).

• Like 3

On the Gem in July 2022, we had three Greek ports. All three were dry, with signage posted. I learned about it on these boards, so.we weren't shocked during our trip. 
Heading to the Getaway in Aug 2023 and we have three ports in Spain. Having to pay taxes will be an annoyance, but it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, dizzneebabe said:

On the Gem in July 2022, we had three Greek ports. All three were dry, with signage posted. I learned about it on these boards, so.we weren't shocked during our trip. 
Heading to the Getaway in Aug 2023 and we have three ports in Spain. Having to pay taxes will be an annoyance, but it is what it is.

Again the tax issue was strange. As a uk booker, once we’ve paid for our package it includes all tips, taxes blah blah blah. On the numerous NCL cruises I’ve done to Spanish ports I’ve never had to pay tax (the drink is effectively no charge  as already paid for it…how can you tax nothing?!).

Blimey….3 dry ports is a bit extreme. Were you still charged 3 full days drink package?   

16 hours ago, Misself said:

Again the tax issue was strange. As a uk booker, once we’ve paid for our package it includes all tips, taxes blah blah blah. On the numerous NCL cruises I’ve done to Spanish ports I’ve never had to pay tax (the drink is effectively no charge  as already paid for it…how can you tax nothing?!).

Blimey….3 dry ports is a bit extreme. Were you still charged 3 full days drink package?   

I REALLY need to correct my statement above (husband reminded me), but can't now. Those who had a drink package were served drinks. Anyone who did not, could not purchase one. 

Edited by dizzneebabe

1 hour ago, dizzneebabe said:

I REALLY need to correct my statement above (husband reminded me), but can't now. Those who had a drink package were served drinks. Anyone who did not, could not purchase one. 

Thank you !  That is what we would have expected but even with a package they wouldn’t serve us in Gibraltar.  

On 12/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, Misself said:

Ta, it was ok as I was ordering from my drinks package so free. Although pepsimax would’ve been nice!!

Were they allowing you to get canned pop/soda with your beverage package?  I am a canned diet coke addict so I perked up when I read your post.  I was thinking it was only fountain pop/soda.  Thanks in advance for any clarification.  

13 hours ago, like2cruise said:

Were they allowing you to get canned pop/soda with your beverage package?  I am a canned diet coke addict so I perked up when I read your post.  I was thinking it was only fountain pop/soda.  Thanks in advance for any clarification.  

I thought that but others were getting cans so I did too!  Handy to keep in the fridge. 

Gibraltar is two counties on the same peninsula -

Where does the NCL SUN dock - the UK pier - OR - somewhere on the Spanish side ?

The Spanish side would perhaps be the more restrictive of the two ?

Imagine a cruise to the Mediterranean and all the available wine sherry port and the

alike abounding except for some maybe different cultural south shore ports. 

Google Map of Gibraltar:

Google Maps

Zooom in for more detail - - -

On 1/6/2023 at 4:49 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Where does the NCL SUN dock - the UK pier - OR - somewhere on the Spanish side ?

Imagine a cruise to the Mediterranean and all the available wine sherry port and the

Google Map of Gibraltar:

Google Maps

It was the uk side.  All NCL is saying is the stock reply of ‘while docked in Gibraltar NCL is not allowed to serve alcohol’. 

no further explanation as to why, or any comment as to why all other cruise lines can but NCL can’t.. .

This has come down to principle.  (1st world problems and all that 😂).

I didn’t  really mind that I couldn’t have my usual afternoon cocktail and certainly wasn’t shaking from alcohol withdrawal as some people suggest 😜.  But it’s the lack of honesty or transparency  that bothers me.  It seems from talking to others in the industry that NCL haven’t paid for the license or something but they are still happy to charge us for the package that day.    And it’s strange that the week before NCL sun COULD serve alcohol in Gibraltar.???    

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 6:32 AM, Shiraus82 said:

Are all of the bars completely closed or can you get non-alcoholic drinks (mocktails)?

Don’t worry, the bars were open for soft drinks. Just all the alcohol cleared away.  

On 1/6/2023 at 4:49 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Google Map of Gibraltar:

Google Maps

Gibraltar is just one country and it is British.  The small isthmus on which Gibraltar is situated has a land frontier with Spain which you can cross with a passport.  Once over the border you are in the Spanish town of La Linea.  

This has nothing to do with the alcohol issue on NCL ships which seems to be due to the company not doing the necessary paperwork to legally sell alcohol.  

• Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 9:38 AM, Misself said:

Where you buy your cruise hasn’t got anything to do with the local laws of charging tax or duty when drinking in their ports/waters.  When in the US you have to pay tax on cost of the drink. Even though you’re not paying for it as it’s in the package there is still a cost and pay a few $ if they per drink. As the waiter rings it up as cost but covered by the drinks package. 

on the TA from Rome to NYC when docked in Spain we were charged the Spanish tax. Same in 2018 on the Epic. 

sucks about Gibraltar but the other taxes are nominal 

17 minutes ago, DominicAUS said:

Where you buy your cruise hasn’t got anything to do with the local laws of charging tax or duty when drinking in their ports/waters.  When in the US you have to pay tax on cost of the drink. Even though you’re not paying for it as it’s in the package there is still a cost and pay a few $ if they per drink. As the waiter rings it up as cost but covered by the drinks package. 

on the TA from Rome to NYC when docked in Spain we were charged the Spanish tax. Same in 2018 on the Epic. 

sucks about Gibraltar but the other taxes are nominal 

Uk t&c are different (ie we don’t pay gratuities on the free package which I understand some  people do).   Most UK people will vouch that we never pay tax in Spanish ports on UPB drinks (I’ve done the epic out of Barcelona numerous times). Something to do with our consumer rules or something .   .If we purchase something else (outside any included package), then yes we pay tax.

Anyhow the tax issue is minor, albeit annoying and probably due to the ship not understanding the uk’s T&C…or a change in regulation.  

And yes Gibraltar sucked 😜

25 minutes ago, Misself said:

Uk t&c are different (ie we don’t pay gratuities on the free package which I understand some  people do).   Most UK people will vouch that we never pay tax in Spanish ports on UPB drinks (I’ve done the epic out of Barcelona numerous times). Something to do with our consumer rules or something .   .If we purchase something else (outside any included package), then yes we pay tax.

Anyhow the tax issue is minor, albeit annoying and probably due to the ship not understanding the uk’s T&C…or a change in regulation.  

And yes Gibraltar sucked 😜

Whilst the UK rules regarding getting the free at sea offers are different (ie we don’t pay the gratuities but pay a charge instead which is about the same). I have never experienced any difference onboard based on where the cruise is booked.

The tax on drinks in Spain issue is long standing, and has changed a few times, including a brief period on the Epic where everyone paid 10% on all drinks consumed for the entire cruise even if purchased using the drinks package, and that included UK cruisers.

I have certainly paid tax on drinks whilst in port despite having the beverage package and having booked in the UK. If you haven’t then my guess is that you just haven’t been on a cruise where they are charging it to anyone.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Whilst the UK rules regarding getting the free at sea offers are different (ie we don’t pay the gratuities but pay a charge instead which is about the same). I have never experienced any difference onboard based on where the cruise is booked.

The tax on drinks in Spain issue is long standing, and has changed a few times, including a brief period on the Epic where everyone paid 10% on all drinks consumed for the entire cruise even if purchased using the drinks package, and that included UK cruisers.

I have certainly paid tax on drinks whilst in port despite having the beverage package and having booked in the UK. If you haven’t then my guess is that you just haven’t been on a cruise where they are charging it to anyone.

Hey I definitely don’t want to get into a debate. 😁. Just must been lucky on all my other cruises to Spain . (NCL &, RCL).  

The main gripe however was Gibraltar.