Connect to the ships wifi from the dock question Port of Miami

raphael360

Has anyone sailed out of the Port of Miami recently and were you able to connect to the ship's wifi to make brunch and/or show reservations pre boarding?

I'm leaving in 29 days and  know "it is what it is" but would definitely arrive earlier if I can bag some reservations before getting on board.

Thanks for the help friends...

6 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Has anyone sailed out of the Port of Miami recently and were you able to connect to the ship's wifi to make brunch and/or show reservations pre boarding?

I'm leaving in 29 days and  know "it is what it is" but would definitely arrive earlier if I can bag some reservations before getting on board.

Thanks for the help friends...

I am on board now and was not able to get the ship's connection until I boarded. It didn't show up as an option.

Could have been my phone but probably not. We have had to change our path due to high winds. Duel Reality was rescheduled twice and never happened due to dangerous rocking and rolling so even though I got the reservation,  I missed out. 

All in all, we are having a good time, 2000 passengers. 

• Like 1

I haven't tried recently.  If you can see VVMiami as an available service, you can get it from within the terminal (or used to be able to).  It did not work in Barcelona in October--had to wait until on board.  But then, VV didn't own that terminal.  If you show up at the terminal early, they won't let you in.  They will let you drop luggage, but then were shuttling people to a local mall in Miami.  If you stay, there are lines by your scheduled arrival time.  The lines generally don't start check in until about 15 minutes before the scheduled arrival time, but I guess that could vary based on number of passengers etc.  They request that you not show up more than 30 minutes early, and that system worked pretty well for us.  We had almost no waiting.  We actually had to wait a short while between checking in and boarding because we had 1:30 port arrival and were able to check in about 1:05...boarding didn't start till 1:30.

The ship WiFi was not reachable in the terminal we were there last month. They have definitely made a change. I was right next to the ship in the Rockstar area and could see lots of other SSID’s, but not the ships. The photo of were I tried.

29953722-4248-4918-8A04-C64B81EC76FD.jpeg

• Like 2

nope, not for valiant this week.  they also held back a ton of activities bookings until later in the afternoon, which was kind of annoying bc we had to keep checking back to book shows/fitness classes.  on the other hand, it makes it more fair for folks with later boarding times.

• Like 3

Excellent advice from all....thank you!

I've sailed out of Miami 25 or more times and I always just drop off my bags at the ship and scoot over to South Beach for a good lunch and some people watching. Then I head back to the ship and board 30 minutes before the "all aboard' announcement".  Not a fan of standing in long lines.

I am excited about this VV cruise and am hoping Virgin provides a fresh new experience in ocean cruises (different than my Seabourn, HAL, Princess and others cruise experiences).  I had the chance to fly on Virgin American a few times  before Alaska Air bought them out and they actually made flying fun - if that was even possible. 

Again, many thank you for all of the friendly advice.

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Be sure to sign up for a terminal arrival time in the app.  The sooner you do this, the more choice of times you will have.

That was an Excellent idea. I just bagged the 1:30pm embarkation time spot. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raphael360 said:

That was an Excellent idea. I just bagged the 1:30pm embarkation time spot. 🙂

Glad it worked for you.  We've been able to grab the 1:30 slot each time....usually about 5 months in advance (first time I looked for it).  I honestly don't know if it becomes available as soon as you pay in full or ??? I do pay in full before the 6 month point to get the discount, and shortly after that put my info into the app and get the terminal arrival slot.  Last cruise, we boarded at 1:30; we were allowed into the terminal to check in at 1:00 and then had to wait just a short time till they started boarding at 1:30.  We got to our cabin, dropped our carryons and were just about to leave for lunch when our luggage arrived at the door.  VERY efficient.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've tried logging into the ship WiFi from terminal V, but was unsuccessful... I was "this close" a couple of times, but it never did allow me to fully connect. I believe that they "limit" the access somehow during the turnover, as I've been able to connect to the WiFi all the way at the end of the pier in Bimini and it worked fine from two thousand feet away from the ship...

As OP, I was interested to know when was 'the soonest' I could book a show. before my first VV Cruise.  Six cruises later I discovered the answer was not unit I first boarded the ship.  

I'm speaking from my experience at Terminal V in Miami only but I could never access the ship's wifi before I boarded.  I tried almost everything including trying including trying from the 5th-floor parking garage a stone's throw away from the ship.  My experience was always before 2 PM because, as a Sea Rover, I was always in my room by then.

I guess It is what it is 🙂

• Like 1