Carry-On Checking At Embarkation - Regatta

Robroy

Quick question as we're new to Oceania: Wondering if there is a spot to check carry-on luggage on Regatta once we embark and are waiting for cabins to be available? We have a PH and will try and board around 11:30 and not sure when we will have cabin access. Not a big deal obviously but nice to get rid of things if possible.

Thanks for your help! We've found this forum really informative and helpful!

Cheers,

Rob

Yes, you can check your carry ons at embarcation. When you arrive at embarcation, just go to the area where the luggage is collected, put your luggage tag on your carry on and give it to the porter. If you didn't receive your tags they will make one for you. The carry on will be delivered to the hallway in front of your room with the rest of your luggage. We did this in November when we were on the Sirena. 

12 minutes ago, CruiseLibra said:

Yes, you can check your carry ons at embarcation. When you arrive at embarcation, just go to the area where the luggage is collected, put your luggage tag on your carry on and give it to the porter. If you didn't receive your tags they will make one for you. The carry on will be delivered to the hallway in front of your room with the rest of your luggage. We did this in November when we were on the Sirena. 

If I didn't trust my carry-on to the airline checking process, I'm not going to trust it to the cruise port personnel!  Some cruise lines do allow you to check your carry-ons once on the ship, which gives me a better feeling of security (at the very least knowing the bags got on the ship!).  But the best arrangement IMHO is to stagger boarding so that cabins are available when you board – this this issue goes away.  [I'm not one who tries to board early for one extra 'free mean.']

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CruiseLibra said:

Be sure not to leave anything valuable in it  if you check it  at the dock

Had our locks cut off our bags sometime between the porter & arriving at our cabin

nothing exciting in the bags 

But my laptop/meds/  were with me in my carry on bag

• Like 1

If I’m a PH don’t expect your cabin to be released before 13:00. If you board at 11:30 you’ll be hauling it around with you for 1.5 hours.

I could go in length how much I hate Boardamania. Baggage piled up in the Terrace while people scramble for seats leads the list. Like Jazzbeau, that free meal, for us, is not worth the crowds and hassles of Boardamania. Relax, enjoy a wonderful local lunch in your ‘Embarkment city and show up at the Ship at 2:30-3:00. Plenty of time to enjoy the ship’s artwork afterwards.

Plus more time to shop for local wines or other adult beverages to bring aboard!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If I’m a PH don’t expect your cabin to be released before 13:00. If you board at 11:30 you’ll be hauling it around with you for 1.5 hours.

I could go in length how much I hate Boardamania. Baggage piled up in the Terrace while people scramble for seats leads the list. Like Jazzbeau, that free meal, for us, is not worth the crowds and hassles of Boardamania. Relax, enjoy a wonderful local lunch in your ‘Embarkment city and show up at the Ship at 2:30-3:00. Plenty of time to enjoy the ship’s artwork afterwards.

Plus more time to shop for local wines or other adult beverages to bring aboard!

Yes we've done this the last couple of cruises and will never go back(to early check-in/boarding).  Nothing like walking up to a counter with no line.  Then walking right on the ship.  Plus if in a PH your luggage may beat you to the room.

Edited by davencl

We were on Sirena recently and we dropped our luggage off at our stateroom, even though the room wasn't officially available. We noticed the room had already been completely cleaned and stocked and was ready to go, but Oceania releases the availability of suites and staterooms by class. Since we only had a veranda, they weren't going to let us have access to our room until the suites and concierge cabins had been released. Of course, we were told in the hallway on our way to the stateroom that it wasn't ready, but when we asked if we could drop off our luggage they said okay. I don't think it was ideal for them, perhaps because they knew our room was indeed ready but not "officially" ready.

We generally aren't pushy like this about things, but we've been on other cruise lines, like Celebrity, where this is common and acceptable so it didn't seem like a liberty to us at the time. Not sure if this strategy would work on all ships for all sailings.

• Like 1

I just drop my carryon at the door of my suite and then stop worrying, if the steward is around I have asked if I can pop it ION the cabin and usually thats fine as well. 

Your other bags go there to wait for you so it is all fine 🙂

• Like 2

Oceania cruisers pay no attention to their assigned boarding time, why should you expect they don’t ignore the constant announcements to not go to cabins/decks that haven’t been cleared? 🤔

As a previous cruiser told me “ if Oceania didn’t want me in my cabin, they wouldn’t give me a cabin key that works!” 🥺

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, MarkWiltonM said:

We were on Sirena recently and we dropped our luggage off at our stateroom, even though the room wasn't officially available. We noticed the room had already been completely cleaned and stocked and was ready to go, but Oceania releases the availability of suites and staterooms by class. Since we only had a veranda, they weren't going to let us have access to our room until the suites and concierge cabins had been released. Of course, we were told in the hallway on our way to the stateroom that it wasn't ready, but when we asked if we could drop off our luggage they said okay. I don't think it was ideal for them, perhaps because they knew our room was indeed ready but not "officially" ready.

We generally aren't pushy like this about things, but we've been on other cruise lines, like Celebrity, where this is common and acceptable so it didn't seem like a liberty to us at the time. Not sure if this strategy would work on all ships for all sailings.

So a ship’s officer is constantly announcing to not go to your cabins until your desk is released But you talked to a random stewardess, which obviously out ranks the officers, and they said it was OK!!!

Any realization of how silly that sounds?

Just admit it, you believe you’re special and have zero interest in listening to the instructions of senior staff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

So a ship’s officer is constantly announcing to not go to your cabins until your desk is released But you talked to a random stewardess, which obviously out ranks the officers, and they said it was OK!!!

Any realization of how silly that sounds?

Just admit it, you believe you’re special and have zero interest in listening to the instructions of senior staff.

Peanutlover, why are you so rude to posters giving their opinnion.  I may not agree with Mark, he is just sharing his way of dealing with embarcation. Relax and have alittle wine.