Seeking annual comprehensive health/travel policy for many global trips - FL based, 57yo, no medicare yet

SoloFullTime

I'm 57, no medicare yet and considering annual global cruise travel with stays up to 1 month at various ports around country.  Will be Florida based but probably staying no longer than a month as well.  May not be in US more than 2 months a year.  Ideally would have one policy for both US health and global travel.  No pre-existing conditions other than on blood pressure med.  Fit and healthy.

More details about my travel plans in thread below.  May stay in various foreign ports up to 1 month at a time.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2899572-world-cruising-short-segments-full-time-on-various-lines-50-retired/#comment-64451483

Edited by SoloFullTime

Interesting post which seems to go way beyond travel med.  If I understand your post, you are looking for Worldwide Medical Insurance (including North America).  I am also assuming you would have no other medical insurance so this would be your primary policy to be used anywhere.  I assume you understand that such a policy, assuming that you can find it, will be very expensive.  Part of the problem is that healthcare in the USA is very expensive and just the logistical problems of dealing with 50 States, each with their own laws/regulations is an expensive proposition.   You might want to read the following brochure and contact these folks.  I do not know of anyone who has purchased their product so I am just posting this as a reference, not a recommendation

global-medical-insurance-brochure.pdf (visitorscoverage.com)

Hank

P.S.  If you do contact these folks, I would appreciate if you post some feedback here on CC so we can all learn from your experience.

Thanks for the info.  Will report back what I find.

I'm not sure if I really need global full coverage.  If on a trip I need major planned surgery or something somewhat minor like knee surgery, would come back to FL to get any of that done and stay.  But if it's a life saving situation or emergency room visit in another country or cruise, would want that coverage.  So apparently a US primary insurance with global emergency medical procedures if needed.  And if there's injury or new permanent condition, I'd come back to FL permanently and drop travel coverage.

I do have a general primary health insurance today in FL.  I could either get secondary on top of that or if a better deal, a comprehensive FL policy that includes travel coverage.

TIA

One important thing to add is that I do plan to be back in FL about every 3-5 months but probably only 1-2 weeks then back to global travels.

edit:  And everything I'm finding is per trip.  I want multi-trip that's unknown for the term of policy.

Edited by SoloFullTime

When quoting a GeoBlue multi-date I get this...

Covered Individuals: 1     Coverage Dates: 01/01/2023 - 12/31/2023 

Treker Choice: $220

• $1,000,000 medical / $500,000 evacuation
  • $5,000 RX/ $25,000 AD&D
  • $100 Deductible (waived when using a GeoBlue provider)

• Covers international trips (up to 70 days durations per trip) in a 12 month period.
  • Quotes based on the age of the oldest traveler
  • To be eligible for Trekker Choice you must currently be enrolled in a Primary Health Plan

Questions...

- It says 70 day duration, so can I travel to 3 or 4 cruises from various ports outside US, just before 70 day mark return to Florida for a week, then back to 70 days of various cruises not based out of FL?  Or can the 'per trip' be  under 70 days of travel from a UK port, under 70 days of travel from Rome port, under 70 days from Auckland port, etc.

- Will it cover plane/train other ground travel between ports?  Basically all activity outside US borders?

- It says must be enrolled in "a" Primary Health Plan.  Must that be with BCBS or any US primary health plan?

TIA

It is a policy that provides medical coverage when you travel outside the US for no more than 70 days at a time. Coverage is not dependent on mode of transportation. You can travel by plane, train, car, or cruise ship as long as you return to the US within 70 days.

Primary health insurance from another provider is acceptable.

Note that it is not a comprehensive travel policy because it does not cover travel risks such as cancellation, interruption, or delay.

Thanks for the response.  Understood it's medical only and not travel policy.  Am not quite clear on the 70 days limit.  So if I return to US for a week (Florida base) and just stay in US for a week or even a day, can I then travel for another 70 days, rinse/repeat?

To be absolutely sure the policy meets your needs, I recommend that you work with a professional like Steve Dasseos at Trip Insurance Store or ask GeoBlue directly for clarification. Have them point to the language in the policy that supports each answer.

Perhaps their expat policy would work for you if you don't plan to be in the US for more than a couple of months a year.

21 hours ago, SoloFullTime said:

I'm 57, no medicare yet and considering annual global cruise travel with stays up to 1 month at various ports around country.  Will be Florida based but probably staying no longer than a month as well.  May not be in US more than 2 months a year.  Ideally would have one policy for both US health and global travel.  No pre-existing conditions other than on blood pressure med.  Fit and healthy.

More details about my travel plans in thread below.  May stay in various foreign ports up to 1 month at a time.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2899572-world-cruising-short-segments-full-time-on-various-lines-50-retired/#comment-64451483

Hi SoloFullTime,

I can't tell from you post if you are coming back to the USA after each up to month-long stay in a port. Are you?

Steve Dasseos

HI Steve, thanks for replying...

Not ideally but I could be back to US every 70 days if need be. I don't intend to plan beyond 2 months out and don't plan to stay more than a week or 3 in US with each return.

Example:

- Plan 2 cruises for upcoming 2 or so months, say...

- FL to Southhamptom, stay in that port or UK area for up to a month

- Southhampton to say Rome's port, possibly cruising or staying up to a month in that region

- Somewhere within that leg I'm planning the next 2 months

- Rinse repeat elsewhere, perhaps train to other ports at times within continental Europe

- Can cruise or fly back to US every 70 days if need be but hopefully not a requirement

- If required, back to FL every 70 days.  Pre-plan 2 more cruises while in Rome, say...

- Fly Rome to FL

- Cruise FL to CA, stay in CA for a couple weeks

- Cruise CA to APAC, stay somewhere there for up to a month.

- Back to US if need be within 70 days otherwise plan 2 more cruises elsewhere from APAC.

Something along those lines.  Of course it will depend on destinations available within the 2 month planning period.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SoloFullTime

Thank you much for the link!  This is an option I''ll consider in my research.

I do plan to maintain as a full time FL resident with FL stays no more than a couple months total per year, mostly abroad as long as I can or am up to.  And I may only do global travel for a year or two.

In regard to the GeoBlue Trekker policy (we have had this for years) you need to keep in mind that it requires you to have another "Primary Medical" policy as a condition of coverage.  The OP seemed to imply that he would not have any other medical insurance, so we never mentioned GeoBlue.  

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

In regard to the GeoBlue Trekker policy (we have had this for years) you need to keep in mind that it required you to have another "Primary Medical" policy as a condition of coverage.  The OP seemed to imply that he would not have any other medical insurance, so we never mentioned GeoBlue.  

Hank

Yes I do have an existing policy but open to another more comprehensive one or supplemental to existing.  Thanks for asking for clarification. 

18 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

Yes I do have an existing policy but open to another more comprehensive one or supplemental to existing.  Thanks for asking for clarification. 

What is interesting about Geoblue is that although they insist on folks have a primary policy, when GeoBlue pays a claim, they handle it as primary and do not coordinate with any other insurance.   But they still do require, on the claim form, that you list the specific policy.  Over the years we have filed two claims with Geoblue (both in the thousands of dollars) and they have paid both claims (in full) within a month.

Hank

On 12/14/2022 at 8:59 AM, SoloFullTime said:

Thank you much for the link!  This is an option I''ll consider in my research.

I do plan to maintain as a full time FL resident with FL stays no more than a couple months total per year, mostly abroad as long as I can or am up to.  And I may only do global travel for a year or two.

Hi SoloFullTime,

I sell the Cigna plans on my Expatriate Trip Insurance website that you will find here: https://expatriatetripinsurance.com/

These plans can be bought for trips of at least 3 months in length.

Steve Dasseos

On 12/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, Hlitner said:

What is interesting about Geoblue is that although they insist on folks have a primary policy, when GeoBlue pays a claim, they handle it as primary and do not coordinate with any other insurance.   But they still do require, on the claim form, that you list the specific policy.  Over the years we have filed two claims with Geoblue (both in the thousands of dollars) and they have paid both claims (in full) within a month.

Hank

Thanks for the info Hank. Good to hear experiences on claims.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 5:55 PM, Hlitner said:

In regard to the GeoBlue Trekker policy (we have had this for years) you need to keep in mind that it requires you to have another "Primary Medical" policy as a condition of coverage.  The OP seemed to imply that he would not have any other medical insurance, so we never mentioned GeoBlue.  

Hank

Not to hijack the thread, but do you purchase another trip cancellation type policy in addition to your GeoBlue?

16 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Not to hijack the thread, but do you purchase another trip cancellation type policy in addition to your GeoBlue?

Not exactly.  We have a Chase Sapphire card that includes several insurance options including up to $10,000 ($20,000 for two persons) of Trip Interruption and Trip Cancellation insurance.  The coverage comes with a good number of restrictions but works fine for legitimate cancellation/interruption reasons (which means it is not a cancel for any reason thing).  

We do not purchase other trip insurance and have oft posted that we are over $100,000 ahead because of all the money we have saved by not buying separate trip insurance.  

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Not exactly.  We have a Chase Sapphire card that includes several insurance options including up to $10,000 ($20,000 for two persons) of Trip Interruption and Trip Cancellation insurance.  The coverage comes with a good number of restrictions but works fine for legitimate cancellation/interruption reasons (which means it is not a cancel for any reason thing).  

We do not purchase other trip insurance.

Hank

Thanks for responding. Appreciate your feedback. 

On 12/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

A question.  We have Geo-Blue and have never filed a claim.  On another post on the Oceania board, I saw a very large bill for intravenous antibiotics.   Total bill over $3,000.00

Does Geo-blue pay what they consider reasonable, like Medicare, or do they reimburse the full amount?

20 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

A question.  We have Geo-Blue and have never filed a claim.  On another post on the Oceania board, I saw a very large bill for intravenous antibiotics.   Total bill over $3,000.00

Does Geo-blue pay what they consider reasonable, like Medicare, or do they reimburse the full amount?

Over the years we have filed two major GeoBlue Claims (thousands of dollars).  In both cases,  they quickly reimbursed us for 100% (minus the deductable) without any hassles or questions.  That being said, this was helped by the fact that we had all the detailed documentation needed for a claim.  I would also say that a $3000 bill for IV antibiotics is not particularly outrageous (for those who live in the USA) depending on the actual drug and related it would not raise too many eyebrows a medical insurance company.  

In theory, they could reduce reimbursement stating the charges were no "reasonable."  That is always a risk with any insurance based on reimbursement as opposed to "assignment."  GeoBlue does have a network of providers all over the world, and if you would get lucky and happen to be treated at one of those providers they would possibly accept your insurance card.  But the reality is that when you have an emergency or urgent situation you will generally go where you are told, and the odds are against being a network provider.  

Travelers need to be prepared to pay their medical bills, when out of the country.  Most providers demand immediate payment (credit cards are usually accepted) which can be an issue with folks that have low credit limits on their cards.  If this happens, you should immediately call your credit card company and ask for a higher limit (almost always granted).

Hank