Must see places for a day in Oslo

On 5/19/2023 at 10:46 PM, Jessica60 said:

Do you know if there is a taxi rank outside the Folk Museum? Or where to get one back to the ship? How much is the taxi likely to cost? 

There is no taxi queue nearby, so you'd need to call for a taxi. I'd expect it to take around 15 minutes for one to get out there, or you could prebook a time in advance for a small additional surcharge.

It's hard to guess the cost, since all the taxi companies have different rates, and it depends a lot on how much time the trip takes. If I had to guess, I'd expect it to be at least 300-400 NOK.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:01 AM, Jessica60 said:

Also, how long does it take the ferry to get there? And how long is the bus trip? Thank you

The bus is around 15 minutes, plus 10 minutes walk to the pier. The bus runs every 10 minutes on a weekday, and you can find the details on the ruter.no website. Tickets are purchased through the Ruter app.

The ferry runs once every 30 minutes, but I don't remember how long each leg of the trip takes. I haven't used it since it stopped being part of the transit network. Since they say that it's a 10-minute trip, I'm guessing that's the first leg from the city hall to the first stop, which means the other two legs would be a bit under 20?

If you aim to head back around 14:00, you should be fine. If you're worried, go when the museum opens at 10:00, and you'll almost certainly be ready to head out well before that. Most people spend 1½ to 2 hours.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:44 AM, law chick said:

Are Uber or Lyft available in Oslo?

Uber is currently available. (It has come and gone and then come back again as legislation has changed. The taxi lobby is quite strong, and currently many of the Ubers are actually licensed taxis picking up additional fares via the app.)

• Thanks 1

We are due to dock in Oslo on a cruise ship 12th June.  We want to get the ferry to Brgdoy to visit the Fram, Kon-Tiki and possibly the Maritime Museum.  I have got all details about the ferries and museums, time table/piers they use/prices etc. as well as those museums. 

We will just buy a day pass for the ferry and pay for the museums as we enter, since will be cheaper than Oslo passes, (we are seniors in our 70's), but either way we do not want to buy tickets until we arrive in case our ship does not dock for some reason.  Can I please ask if we can  buy day passes for the ferry on the pier at the same price as online purchase?  Also, can I ask if there are any toilets near the pier which I could use before getting on the ferry.

1 hour ago, tring said:

We are due to dock in Oslo on a cruise ship 12th June.  We want to get the ferry to Brgdoy to visit the Fram, Kon-Tiki and possibly the Maritime Museum.  I have got all details about the ferries and museums, time table/piers they use/prices etc. as well as those museums. 

We will just buy a day pass for the ferry and pay for the museums as we enter, since will be cheaper than Oslo passes, (we are seniors in our 70's), but either way we do not want to buy tickets until we arrive in case our ship does not dock for some reason.  Can I please ask if we can  buy day passes for the ferry on the pier at the same price as online purchase?  Also, can I ask if there are any toilets near the pier which I could use before getting on the ferry.

When we visited Oslo on a cruise, we also had it all planned out starting with the ferry. But that morning the ferry was not running due to high winds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

When we visited Oslo on a cruise, we also had it all planned out starting with the ferry. But that morning the ferry was not running due to high winds!

That is life sadly, but sorry it did not work out well for you.  Hope you found something else to do that day - my choice would be the Munch museum, which is somewhere I want to go, but DH not that keen.

14 minutes ago, tring said:

That is life sadly, but sorry it did not work out well for you.  Hope you found something else to do that day - my choice would be the Munch museum, which is somewhere I want to go, but DH not that keen.

Yes, we had a wonderful day. And in fact, the first place we visited was the Munch Museum, a place my art teacher wife most wanted to see. We also went to the sculpture garden and the Viking Museum. We just could not due the transportation the way we originally planned. We saw the things we had planned on, just had to wing it somewhat.

As a matter of fact, it was not much after there had been a theft at the Munch Museum. Security there was very strict.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 7:49 PM, tring said:

Can I please ask if we can  buy day passes for the ferry on the pier at the same price as online purchase?  Also, can I ask if there are any toilets near the pier which I could use before getting on the ferry.

I can't confirm, but I would suspect so. Their booking site is not as polished as most of the local systems that actually prefer you book online. FYI - If the ferry is not running, you can take the bus #30 to all of the Bygdøy museums. Just buy a ticket through the Ruter app or you can buy tickets at convenient stores (there's a 7-11 behind the city hall if you're docking at Akershus).

Re: toilets, if you're in the area in front of the city hall, your best bet is to buy a coffee at a nearby coffee shop. There are also restrooms in city hall, but it may be closed to visitors if there is an event going on.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 9:11 PM, kaisatsu said:

There is no taxi queue nearby, so you'd need to call for a taxi. I'd expect it to take around 15 minutes for one to get out there, or you could prebook a time in advance for a small additional surcharge.

It's hard to guess the cost, since all the taxi companies have different rates, and it depends a lot on how much time the trip takes. If I had to guess, I'd expect it to be at least 300-400 NOK.

The bus is around 15 minutes, plus 10 minutes walk to the pier. The bus runs every 10 minutes on a weekday, and you can find the details on the ruter.no website. Tickets are purchased through the Ruter app.

The ferry runs once every 30 minutes, but I don't remember how long each leg of the trip takes. I haven't used it since it stopped being part of the transit network. Since they say that it's a 10-minute trip, I'm guessing that's the first leg from the city hall to the first stop, which means the other two legs would be a bit under 20?

If you aim to head back around 14:00, you should be fine. If you're worried, go when the museum opens at 10:00, and you'll almost certainly be ready to head out well before that. Most people spend 1½ to 2 hours.

Thank you. This information is of great help. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:56 AM, kaisatsu said:

I can't confirm, but I would suspect so. Their booking site is not as polished as most of the local systems that actually prefer you book online. FYI - If the ferry is not running, you can take the bus #30 to all of the Bygdøy museums. Just buy a ticket through the Ruter app or you can buy tickets at convenient stores (there's a 7-11 behind the city hall if you're docking at Akershus).

Re: toilets, if you're in the area in front of the city hall, your best bet is to buy a coffee at a nearby coffee shop. There are also restrooms in city hall, but it may be closed to visitors if there is an event going on.

Thank you for the reply, which is much appreciated.  If we took the bus, do we have to but tickets before getting on it, or can we just pay on the bus?  We will have some small denomination krone, but would need internet for an app.

Was just looking at the website for city hall - that clock sounds amazing, yet cannot say we have noticed it when we have been there previously - which is a few times - we have always been docked in Revierkaia and our ship is due to dock there in a couple of weeks as well, So we know our way about quite well.

On 5/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, tring said:

If we took the bus, do we have to but tickets before getting on it, or can we just pay on the bus?  We will have some small denomination krone, but would need internet for an app.

Bus drivers stopped selling tickets on board during COVID, so now you must have a ticket ahead of time. If you can't use the app, you can purchase single use tickets from convenience stores (7-11, Narvesen, Deli de Luca). If you are docked at Akershuskai alongside the fortress, there is a 7-11 behind city hall. These tickets need to be activated on board by scanning them on the onboard ticket readers and are good for one hour from activation.

For ships docking at Akershuskai, I usually suggest the 7-11 behind city hall, but since you're docking at Revierkaia, there's a Narvesen in the big harborside building on that side of the peninsula, but it's only open on weekdays. Otherwise, the most convenient is probably the one just inside the train station, coming from the harborside entrance near the Thon Hotel Opera.

2 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Bus drivers stopped selling tickets on board during COVID, so now you must have a ticket ahead of time. If you can't use the app, you can purchase single use tickets from convenience stores (7-11, Narvesen, Deli de Luca). If you are docked at Akershuskai alongside the fortress, there is a 7-11 behind city hall. These tickets need to be activated on board by scanning them on the onboard ticket readers and are good for one hour from activation.

For ships docking at Akershuskai, I usually suggest the 7-11 behind city hall, but since you're docking at Revierkaia, there's a Narvesen in the big harborside building on that side of the peninsula, but it's only open on weekdays. Otherwise, the most convenient is probably the one just inside the train station, coming from the harborside entrance near the Thon Hotel Opera.

Thanks a great deal for that, yes we are in port on a weekday - the Tuesday after next, so will print out your instructions.  It may be easier getting the bus than the ferry and we could then go to the folk museum up by the road and depending what time we leave, we could walk down to the ferry for our return, perhaps even popping into one of the other museums down there.  If we do take the ferry, we would just do the museum's by the ferry.

Lots of options now, so can decide on the day, depending on weather as we realise the folk museum is mainly open air.

23 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Sorry, just one more question.  Does the same apply to all buses in Norway, or is it just in Oslo where you need to get tickets before you get on the bus?

8 hours ago, tring said:

Sorry, just one more question.  Does the same apply to all buses in Norway, or is it just in Oslo where you need to get tickets before you get on the bus?

I believe some of the more rural longer-distance buses still allow you to pay the driver, but it’s worth checking the individual bus networks.

5 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I believe some of the more rural longer-distance buses still allow you to pay the driver, but it’s worth checking the individual bus networks.

Thanks again.